What Internal Art

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Infrazael, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

I've always wanted to expand upon my Chi powers, but I don't know which Internal Art to study. I've been thinking Tai Chi, because it seems that everyone loves it and that it is very powerful in regards to Chi circulation.

I don't want to learn the internal art for fighting. I want to cultivate my Chi; and to add more internal strength to my current style, which is primarily external.

It seems that Tai Chi looks like a good choice; I won't screw up any knowledge I already know, or anything else. But I would like any advice.

My knowledge of internal is limited; thanks everybody.

2. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

chi powers???

Put it this way:

Tai chi
    Slow (at first). If you want to spend three months learning a handful of moves, you should do this. It's an amazing art but not for the impatient. Great for the energy but not if you just want to go and smack something/someone in class.

Bagua
    Complicated. You need the choreography of a mtv backup dancer and the flexibility of a gymnast, but visually it's the coolest IMA by far. Also very different to what you've probably learned and downright sick in the applications!

Hsing-i
    Punch, shuffle, punch, shuffle, punch. That's about as complicated as it gets. If you're an intense person and find yourself trying to light paper on fire with the power of your mind, you should probably do this one.

3. soggycat

soggycat Valued Member

Infrazael

"Chi powers" to use a term you understand, is primarily developed through meditation. Meditation can be stationary or moving ( as in Tai Chi). A state of Empty Mind must be present before your Chi/Qi can be cultivated.The more "empty" the faster your cultivation. This is probably the most difficult part of the Chi cultivation process. You can also develope Chi thru Qigong ( Chikung) without ever learning any martial arts.
    But you'd probably know that Chi cultivation is heavily emphasised in the Internal Arts , much less in External arts.

Having cultivated your Chi/ Qi, the next step is learning how to use it. How does it "strengthen" your limbs, how can it be use to strike with force? Chi can only move within the body provided the musles are loose and limber. One's accupunture channels must be opened to allow unimpeded Chi flow.
    Yoga will impede or even reverse any benefits of Chi cultivation because the unnatural contortions restrict chi flow.

Have you ever experience being struck by an old seemingly frail, thin and weak man who has "chi powers"?
    It's his Chi that hurts you, not his muscles.

Cultivation of chi is facilitated also by eating the right foods and avoiding the wrong ones ( fiery foods).
    Hope this helps.

4. gerard

gerard Valued Member

What our aussie friend says here is true.

Taiji not ideal if you are a yang person.

Bagua would be for someone who is 50% yin and 50% yang.

Xsingyi ideal if you're 100% yang.

Hope you get the picture.

Thanks guys.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2005
  5. Guo_Xing_Yi

Guo_Xing_Yi Valued Member

punch shuffle punch shuffle? Dude, I am shocked at your lack of openess towards xing yi!

I seriously cant believe that if this guy wants to build his cosmic chee power so that he can leap buildings in a single bounce n **** like that, you dont just recommend meditation?

As for the derogatory comments. I am offended! *sniff*

6. gerard

gerard Valued Member

:confused:

7. Guo_Xing_Yi

punch shuffle punch - thats as complicated as it gets.

Thats the derogatory comment! And its so untrue!

If that were the case, how come in the book which we published last year, just for the bear eagle strategy, we have over 246pages and 500 photos? punch shuffle punch it definately is not!

8. daftyman

daftyman A 4oz can of whoop-ass!

chill dude!

taiji's just silent chinese line dancing!

commentary from a fictitious televised taiji comp.
    "Wow! did you see what he did? Let's see that in the slow motion replay!" zzzzzz *snore* zzzzz

9. nzric

It was a joke!!!

For the record, I don't think tai chi's boring, I don't think bagua's for failed professional dancers and I don't think hsing-i is mindless boxing.

Sorry if I offended..... but I stand by the lighting paper on fire comment :D

10. BillyJohnston

BillyJohnston Banned Banned

Hi Guo! I think you have your PR work cut out for you. The Hsing Yi I saw looked exactly as described, Punch, Shuffle, Punch, Shuffle. The demonstration literaly drove away the audience because it was...(says in a very small voice) boring?

"Yoga will impede or even reverse any benefits of Chi cultivation because the unnatural contortions restrict chi flow."

Whoever said this, are you certain? I have always heard that Yoga was supposed to stimulate or grow some kind of energy inside of you. Kundalini? Does that sound familiar?

Is that energy different from chi?

11. Guo_Xing_Yi

Hey Billy, I appreciate your comments. At the end of the day if the guy is just doing some routine then of course it will look ****e.

However - stick some poor muppet in the way and then watch how effective it is.

We all know flash does not equal effective, else wushu would rule ufc!

12. polecat63

polecat63 Valued Member

I've only been studying Xing Yi for a short time, but I have yet to experience this boring stuff some describe. I'm studying Henan Xing Yi , so no five fist stuff.
    More forms and linking sequences. Plus my Sifu is a teach by doing type, so we do light contact sparring every class. I would imagine how some of it may look boring when done solo, but like Guo said, add another person and it's a whole different story. IMHO

13. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

Just to throw a little petrol on this smouldering coal...
    All the people I've met with good 'chi power' have a really good sense of humour and very little interest in being violent towards others....
    Just my opinion though lol
    N :)
    PS Seriously, if you immerse yourself in any art and practice long enough and open your mind enough you will develop mucho 'chi power'. (The masters tend to say that Taiji, Bagua and xingyi are the same internally anyway... :D )
    (BTW This IS an internal arts forum here, isn't it....?? Just wondered by some of the threads I come across on the rare occassion I have time to visit roflmao :woo: )

14. Guo_Xing_Yi

All those with 'Chi power' also wear sandals with white sports socks, fluffy nylon, err I mean chinese silk pyjamas, and try and make waving a wooden sword around (badly) look cool.

15. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

Not sure what you mean by that. :D
    Either you have a good sense of humour or you're making some kind of 'point'(?) :confused:
    Anyway, I said all those I've met. I've yet to meet a (reality/street) fighting-oriented IMAist with any significant qi development, though I really don't get out much lol
    I've also met some ejits who have very undeveloped Qi, big ego's and no idea what internal power is all about. (Some of them are regular contributors in this forum...lol ;) Some of them write books about IMA!)
    I practice 'hands on', self-defence and form/energy alone, BUT I have no desire to inflict violence on others unless it's a last resort. (And I mean a last resort). Taijiquan is how I eliminate violence from my life not how I increase it.
    The paradox I have found through my path so far has been that those with the greatest desire for 'chi powers' and 'devastating martial arts powers' rarely ever develop any real internal power, whereas those who just train seriously and patiently develop genuine power but never show or use it.
    Anyone else found this?
    N :cool:

16. Shaolin Shi

Shaolin Shi Valued Member

Yes.

17. daftyman

daftyman A 4oz can of whoop-ass!

me too.

reminds me of the phrase:
    All mouth and no trousers.

A nice analogy I came across in the past is this:
    picture trying to force the sediment in a bucket of water to settle to the bottom. The more you try, the more you stir up the water. Instead, allow the sediment to settle in its own time and you will still succeed much quicker that those who try to force the process to speed up.

18. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Thanks for all your replies.

Yang, you mean that we're of the "light" soul-type??? Or do you have a different interpretation of this than I???

I don't think I'm a very Yang person, in that case. I don't know of any Bagua in my area, but I'll try looking for one. Tai Chi, I know that my Sifu takes it and so does one of our boxer/CLF SiHings.

I was wondering, once Chi is developed/cultivated in a greater scale, can it apply to the External Arts (that I practice), or do you have to use the Internal movements and everything just to use it???

Thanks.

19. nzric

There's different opinions about this. The fact is, internal arts are about relaxation and whole body force, as well as redirecting force from the ground and from the opponent. External arts aren't set up that way so you're going to get some loss of power.

Then again, any internal training will definitely help your external stuff, if only to learn different ways of body coordination. IMHO internal energy isn't some mysterious force, it's knowing your body coordination and being able to use your own and other people's force efficiently. I'd say go for it.

Imagine lifting a box. You can either grab it and pull it up using only your arms (external), or spread your feet, bend at the knees and use your whole body to lift (internal). Now, if you try to do both at the same time you'll lift the box but you'll probably disturb your balance and you won't have as much power. That's sort of the same.

20. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Would just like to add a few things, regarding this difference.

In my opinion what NZRIC said is 100% true, but there is more to the equation. I think it is a mixture of body alignment, correct movement and also that which one develops through Nei Gong. In other words, one part is developed through what is referred to as Wei Gong, ie form, correct, alignments, etc. The other part is done through that which is referred to as Nei Gong. Nei Gong is training the mind, and internal components, ie. fascia, fluids, tendons, muscles and energy. One can develop good martial ability through Wei Gong, though the majority of this is from whole body power, specific coordination and technique. However, martial ability can be significantly increased through Nei Gong as it adds greatly and specializes to the Wei Gong.

In fact, as per the Yang family’s transmissions, both the Wei Gong and Nei Gong are 100% necessary, and the art is only partial with only one of these in the equation. Unfortunately, very few schools teach Nei Gong, as they are either unaware of it or they do not have the experience. The reason for this is probably that they never learnt it, as it requires a prolonged period of constant adjustment, supervision, and understanding, or they were never taught it due to its dangers if done correctly and immorally or done incorrectly, as this may be extremely detrimental to one’s health.

Through training Nei Ging one can learn how to coordinate external and internal body movements, such as to move sequentially and discharge energy (or hit) like a wave, or train the ligaments to absorb an discharge energy with minimal effort, these are just a few things. This can also be developed through Wei Gong, but there is no guarantee, and it may take a lifetime, whereas through correct Nei Gong to add to the Wei Gong this can be done in a matter of years.

For some more information on Nei Gong, and the sort of skills that may be developed through correct training have a look here:

http://web.singnet.com.sg/~limttk/neigong.htm