What instrument do you play?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Pepsi32123, May 31, 2004.

?

What instrument do you play?

1. Guitar/Bass Guitar

196 vote(s)
    50.8%
  2. Band Drums

27 vote(s)
    7.0%
  3. Stringed (violin, viola, chello, bass, ect...)

21 vote(s)
    5.4%
  4. Piano

42 vote(s)
    10.9%
  5. Woodwind

34 vote(s)
    8.8%
  6. Brass

22 vote(s)
    5.7%
  7. Handhelled (harmonica, okerina (sp?), ect...)

6 vote(s)
    1.6%
  8. Other (please specify)

38 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. Lanakin

Lanakin It's all about discipline

You probably already know that I play piano quite well (Particularly scores from the FF series) and, no, I can't read music. I can hear it, though, which should be good enough for anyone.

2. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

One of my few strengths, piano, guitar, dulcimer. Tho I'd kill to be able to play the bagpipes. :)

3. snailfist

snailfist Valued Member

Trombone. Just passed my grade 5.. with distinction :) not that great for a yr 11 though.

I'd be a lot more pleased with myself if my girlfriend wasn't so talented (grade 8 clarinet, working on grade 7 piano and just taken her grade 5 tenor sax.. which she only got for christmas!) and kept referring to herself as "... *very poor*" [moderated :) ] because she only compares herself to those better than her, and is mates with one of the best young clarinet players in the country!

My grade was only trinity though- i'll sit Associated Board for 6-8 as they're worth UCAS points when I apply for Uni, and as I want to go to oxbridge I'll need as much going for me as i can get!

4. Matt Molloy

Matt Molloy Valued Member

Guitar for me.

Classical guitar here. I used to do rock, folk and jazz but gradually just fell in love with all the old music that was available.

I believe that someone (I can't remember who) once said something about life not being all bad if you could buy a book of Beethoven sonatas for $10 and play them for the rest of your life.

Cheers,

Matt.

5. Solomon

Solomon Valued Member

i'm learning how to play guitar, more specifically i'm learning chords at the moment. i'm on the first lesson book , i love guitar, especially acoustics though i haven't in the past couple of days:( because i need a music stand, as of lately i've used this box to put the book on, but since i'm learning chords right now, the box is so low to the ground that it gets kinda of hard to distinguish the notes in the chords. its amazing, there are about 20 notes within the first three frets alone.

i love that whiny sound that your fingers make when they switch to different/and go up and down strings.

i'm also learning how to play paino which i also love.

i want to learn how to play drums as well.

i got a harmonica, it cost like five dollars though,lol, it would be cool to learn for real.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2004
  6. Solomon

Solomon Valued Member

7. Xio

Xio Controlled Chaos

i play guitar, started about 2 years ago.

8. gumby

gumby New Member

Brass- Trumpet 4 years and I also played french horn 2 years. I should probably be first chair next year in my high school band.

9. RichieRich

RichieRich Valued Member

I've got the whole pro-tools home studio thingy. Just wait for my breakout single! I just need five goodlookin' teens who can dance to front it :D

10. #1son

#1son New Member

I've been playing guitar about 14years and Bass about 6years. Can read music very badly so mostly play by ear using chords as a guide. Played in a few bands over the years but mostly at Church and Christian events. I love getting together with other musicians and seeing what happens.

11. vicjudofreak

vicjudofreak Valued Member

classical guitar!

12. Omicron

Omicron is around.

It's good to see so many musicians here on MAP! I don't feel like such a weirdo anymore.

13. JamesD

JamesD Valued Member

I play the Upright Bass in a Rockabilly band. Been playing about 6yrs. Can't read music, don't really need to to play Rockabilly. Our band site is:

SwampRockers

14. matt_991

matt_991 Valued Member

i have palyed the flute for 4 years and can sight read music and have started to learn guitar.

15. AZeitung

AZeitung The power of Grayskull

I've been playing the piano since I was two and a half years old, but for some reason, my sightreading is still cr*p. I think I'm piano dyslexic.

Oh, and I sing, too (or used to). I always thought it was funny how singers think they're sight reading, when they only have to read one note at a time, with very little space between notes, and usually a rather slow rhythm (no malice intended, seriously, I love singers - but as a pianist, I'm not supposed to :) )

Oh, in addition, I bought a fairly cheep guitar a while back, and tought myself a few chords, but I by no stretch of the imagination "play the guitar".

16. EarthElement

EarthElement New Member

I play a little thing called HEAVY-METAL GUITAR!!! And thats the only instrument i play(even though heavy-metal is a style of playing i refer 2 it as my guitar as well) because i like to focus on learning 1 instrument well, rather than 3 poorly.

17. munkiejunkie

munkiejunkie sanity's requiem

Tuba

I play tuba, and am the 2nd best in my school

18. AZeitung

AZeitung The power of Grayskull

I really doubt that last message (EarthElement) was in reference to me, but regardless, I want to point out, for the record, I'm a very, very good piano player - as I've been doing it since I was two and a half, although, as I said before my sightreading is really bad, at least, for the level I play at.

I'm also a very good singer, but I'm a better piano player. I have had people I don't know walk up to me after recitals to shake my hand, though.

As for guitar - no. Like I said before, I don't even pretend to play, although I know a few chords.

19. EarthElement

EarthElement New Member

Don't worry, it wasn't. But I'm just stating that I believe,(as do many others) that practicing 1 instrument at a time is a better idea than practicing even 2. If your really good at that 1, then i dont see the harm in taking up a new 1, however it just makes sense to do 1, and devote all your time into that so you can be good at it. Or devote it to 2, and be average at both instruments. :p

20. EarthElement

EarthElement New Member

Don't worry Omi, your still our werido!! :D :D :D LOL!!!!!!!!!