What if you could make your own FMA movie

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Crucible, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Well what if our movie industry was like that? What kind of movies would you like to see? Let's just pretend for a moment, that you had the financial backing, resources, talent, whatever, to make any kind of FMA movie that you could, what would you make?
    And what would be the intention of your movie(s)? Education, to highlight certain parts of history or certain arts? To inspire? To highlight issue's given little public media? To show athletic skill or give an hour and a half of pure entertainment? What do you think?

2. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Definitely a Futuristict Martial Arts Movie called "The Stickfighter", and I would play the bad guy :mad: (after all I am European and the Pinoy's would not like to see the outsider win). Not only that I am ugly enough and have always wanted to play the bad guy in a movie. Of course I would get the crap kicked out of me at the end of the film:eek: , I would not die though or I could not be in the sequal.

Apart from being action from start to finish, it would definitely show case the FMA on a big scale.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

What did you FMA guys think of "The Hunted"?

I have to say I thought it had some of the best fight scenes I have witnessed on celluloid

4. shoto-kali

shoto-kali The Chosen One

FMA movie - KAMAGONG

i believe they did have a movie about FMA, its called 'KAMAGONG'
    if i still remember it, i think the movie was released during the early 80's in philippines, the movie is just like 'blood sport' but their main story was focus in the FMA/Arnis/Escrima.

anybody in this group remember this movie?

5. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Well, it needs lots of fighting, else it wouldn’t be much of a martial arts movie. So who can fight and get away with it? "Cops" is the easy answer.

Now we need a story. How about new rookie good cop tries to clean up bad neighborhood? Sure, it’s been done before, but it’s an open license to have lots of fights.

Every fight would be filmed with the purpose of showcasing the characteristic movements of FMA. This is the one and only goal of the movie. We’re making a commercial for FMA, so every movement by the good guy has to be clean and it has to be clear. None of that “Bourne Identity” crap where nobody knows what just happened. We want the audience to know what happened. Each fights would be like that aikido fight in “Gidget,” where every movement was crystal clear and squeaky clean. We’re advertising the idea of angles and lines. Advertisement –> the dumb people have to see it too –> have to make the angles and lines obvious. Clarity is the goal.

But, equally, it has to be done at a realistic range. The knife fights will be close and fast. The boxing will be close and fast. But I’ll keep the stick fights at long range because hey, they’re sticks. That Tom Cruise alley fight in “Last Samurai” showed us that a slow-mo replay can be done well. Let’s make use of that filming technique for the knife fights here.

Also, each camera would stay on the fighters for the duration of a move. There would be none of the typical Hollywood cut-cut-cut-cut-cut. That’s crap. Let’s do something like the old Chinese and Japanese films where the same camera shot stays on the actors until they’re done with that move. Remember the goal: make it clear, make it clean, so even the dumbest film critic knows exactly what the fighters did. Think of old Jackie Chan: we know exactly what everyone in those movies did because the camera stayed on them.

I need at least three fight scenes. The first would be bladed good cop vs 5 bad guys who come at him with fists, and good cop wins. It’d be over and done in 10 seconds. Purpose: knife skills.

Second is an empty-hand bar fight against just 2 bad guys as good cop is looking for leads. And again it would be brief. Purpose: empty-hand is patterned after the knife.

Third is good guy with a billy club or escrima stick that he pulls out of his car. This fight is to highlight disarms: disarm bad guy’s stick, disarm bad guy’s knife, disarm bad guy’s pistol. And crack a skull or two, because hey, he has a stick.

6. Peter Bradbury

Peter Bradbury Valued Member

7. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

I'd like to see acouple epic Philippine war movies, one a guerilla warfare one maybe focussing on a specific bolo battalion, a Philippine revolution one starring the founding fathers of the RP, I'd like to see someone attempt to tackle the conflict in Mindanao from the 1960's on, maybe from the perspective of a single family in Mindanao and how the conflict has impacted them. In the idea about a FMA movie starring the founding fathers, I'd like a couple of scences of them fighting european style fencers during their stays in Europe. If someone did tackle the conflict in Mindanao I'd like to see it done in the spirit of humanizing the conflict and promoting understanding as opposed to painting one side as the villians, but at the same time not flinching from highlighting any atrocities that have been comitted as well.

Other ideas, put a bunch of escrimadors in the highlander series(the fights would be a lot more dynamic and go by quicker), have partnership between Hong Kong studios and Philippine ones making a pre-Sulu Sultanate movie with the rulers of Sulu running into bandits or political betrayal during one of their tribute pilgramages to Ming Dynasty China(it could show southern Philippine blade work, spearwork, kuntao and silat vs. CMA). A movie showing imigrant escrimadors in either hawaii or stockton, and challenge matches between the diffrent camps from various parts of the Philippines. Or how about a slasher/horror zombie flick with FMArtists in it, so they can hack away to their hearts content, decapitations, disarms :rolleyes: .

8. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Could also do a film detailing the galleon trade back and forth between New Spain(Mexico) and the Philippines. You could have muslim pirates(an opportunity for more southern Philippine bladework and silat/kuntao) raid the ship before it makes it way to mexico, and then the film visually could be an interesting montage of spanish influences in the architechure, clotheing and customs in that time period of both Mexico and the Philippines. An opportunity for some Philippine whip work(sorry, seen to much zorro) and maybe some engagements between spanish, mexican and philippine bladework.

Other ideas could be pinoys jumping ship(Its recorded pilipinos hopped ship in the 1500's and started the shrimping industry in Lousiana) and have an escrimador in a spagetti western. Someone will yell draw and he'll lob a knife in the other guys body instead of pulling a gun, maybe he'll do some whip work(to match the idea of a western) but mostly will do stick and knife throwing. He could do sword work, but then it turns into something outside of the genre of a western. Be funny if he only talked in tagalog or bisayan the whole movie but understood what every one else was saying. He could talk in spanish or english, I just think the other way would make for a good character.

9. shoto-kali

shoto-kali The Chosen One

Superhero Escrimador

how about like a superhero type character, like batman or superman, but the deal of story is that this kid belong to the line of well known filipino clan of mandirigma (say lapu-lapu), he will be a 1/2 caucasian and 1/2 filipino blood. when he turn 18yrs old, only then he found-out that he have a supernatural strength and skill of a 100-arnis/escrima master. this is with the help of a amulet (anting-anting) he got as a gift from his grandfather. an amulet that was past-down from generation. the story will be like a tv series, evryweek he will have new adventure and re-discover something about his new talent and character.

10. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

If Pat plays the bad guy can I be the sidekick who gets killed by Pat, sending the peaceful goodnatured hero an a murderous rampage out for justice?
    If its a futuristic movie would we have light sabers? How about monofilliment wire stripped over the cutting edge of our blades(monofilliment wire, wire a molecule thick, allowing you to slice between molecules. No they aren't real) so we could slice through walls and cars in our efforts to get to each other.

BTW the way, off topic I held a taming a while ago, and I think Captian America stole his shield from Sulu, no kidding, it feels just the way I'd expect Capt.A's to feel. Made for punching and everything. Didn't try stopping bullets and jumping off any buildings though. Maybe Cap had a secret mission in the P.I. and liked the design and painted a big star on it.

11. LastFMArnisador

LastFMArnisador New Member

FMA comic...

ssup again fellas ?

This FMA comic of mine have been maturing in my head for quite some time, so i probably might like to see this made soon...

its a story of a certain kid who grows up in the middle of nowhere amongst a small tribe (the mountain regions) in probably the southern areas of the Phil. Islands. The time period is set at the middle of the colonial period (ca 1790-1890s). This kid lives happily with his family and tribe until a colonial expedition scout force comes and razes the village. War ensues and life, as the kid new it, is no more. This person wanders around and finds a another village, and begs for help. The villagers in fear, strike at the kid, but is rescued by a mountain hermit, a feared fighter and possibly a "muslim" (possible separate plot liner for another comic ;D)). The hermit then trains the kid in a style which the hermit is feared for, along with devastating weapon and unarmed martial arts. And so after a few years later, the kid grows up to become an outstanding fighter in his own right, challenges the best fighters in his adoptive village and sets out to get revenge and redemption from the suffering he experienced when his home village was sacked by conquistadors and his land taken by the Spanish crown.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For "maestro" Pat-the-Cat's role, he could be an ally in the comic. The british forces engage the spanish in a trade war (Anglo-Spanish conflict ?, Mr PAT, please assist in this minor history detail... :eek: ) , and later involves the newly created "Estados Unidos (USA)" in the Spanish-American war, which occurs later in the series.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In his quest for revenge, he (the kid turned warrior) travels all of South-East Asia, learning new cultures and martial arts as time pass, and traces his family's murderers somewhere in East-Asia, meets new cultures and learns\challenges\defeats a few martial arts there, learns vital strategies and tactics, adding a vast array of martial skills to his already formidable fighting style. He then returns to the Philippine Islands yet again, to find the spanish colonial power weakened in a hopeless war, annihilates his opponents gets his revenge, and engages a new power.. and the circle of struggle to attain freedom and retribution, peace and prosperity continues from there...

Of course, no comic is complete without a part 2 story but this time this is set in ca 1920 to 1960's... and by now you all know what happens to this innocent kid turned glorious warrior... and a new circle is forged and a new warrior is created once again... and from here... only God know where this will end...:Angel:

Before i or a group of people who might make this comic series made, i better attend a creative writing class course and an art school to train\refine and polish up this possible blockbuster or dustcover story.

Maybe someone out there has an idea similar to my own... or then again i might be alone in this... :cool:

12. Taliesin

Taliesin Valued Member

It seems that Roland Dantes is the main man when it comes to FMA movies. See here for an interesting interview with him :

http://www.realfighting.com/issue7/roland.html

In fact, I've just won a copy of his 1975 movie "The Pacific Connection" on e-bay :D

13. Pat OMalley

14. Pat OMalley

Fighting the Spanish, yeah, I like that, historical too, but I would have to fight the Americans too if it is around the same time, the Brit's and the American were not getting on to well at this time (this could be the good guy, bad guy bit) but not a typical American happy ending I hope. Something to get your teeth into.

15. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

There has been talk for years about a Green Hornet movie. How much would it rock if Kato (maybe they could even fix the name to make it pinoy) was an FMA person.

- Matt

16. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

Can't you just follow Yoda around with a camera crew for a day? :D :Angel:

17. Diego_Vega

Diego_Vega Frustrated pacifist

It would be okay to film it in the Philippines, just don't let our local studios be in charge. They'll force you to use "all" of their hack talents and the storyline would be so maudlin the tears would drown out the clacking of the sticks.

18. Gryphon Hall

Gryphon Hall Feeling Scholler

Got carried away...

Yes, I remember that movie. I should have been good, except for this bothersome scene.

One of the "bad" students want to wrest the kamagong (the supposed symbol of supremacy in Arnis in the movie) from the "grandmaster". Well, he tried using stick-fighting to forcefully get it from his master but he kept on being humiliated. So what does the "bad" student do? He throws his sticks away and starts boxing the poor master up. And what does the master do? He hugs his sticks and says "Ayoko! Ayoko!" (Don't wanna! Don't wanna!)

I mean, for cryin' out loud! The master was beating the student up, then unarmed "boxing" suddenly defeats him? Sheeeeessh!!!

Yes. Please. No local studios. They'll just get some sexy star in it and ruin everything.

That's a toughie! But I know that, right now, will always not work is to make FMA the focus of the story. Don't get me wrong: FMA can still play an important part, but it shouldn't be what makes the plot. One reason people got very interested in Japanese Kenjutsu was because of Kurosawa's films. Now, he didn't make a "kenjutsu" film; he made films that featured kenjutsu.

Same thing with the Lone Wolf and Cub series: yes, they highlighted Suiyo Ryu vs Shinkage Ryu, but the real focus of the series was revenge.

So, what do I want to see? I want to see a period piece on how Kapampangans were brought in as mercenaries to combat the Ilocanos during the Spanish occupation. There, all the regional difference in style can be brought out subtly but in context. I see separate scenes where Ilocanos and Kapampangans are training, their different methodologies, their choice of weapons, their tactics and their strategies, all beautifully interwoven with accurate historical storytelling.

I see something like Saving Private Ryan, but instead involving the Bolo Battalions and the Hunter ROTC during World War II. Do you see that Kampilan in my sig? That blade was actually used back in WW II against Japs with gunto katanas (the wielder of which survived long enough to pass it on to my grandfather, who passed it on to me; it has been rusted so badly, my lolo says, because there was no time to wipe the blood off before the next batte). I want to see the way the way an escrimador faced a kenjutsu exponent.

The possibilities are plenty. But one thing I don't want to see: the sort of irreverence our Filipino Action movies always tends to include. If it's just me, I want something serious, but not melodramatic. I want something that may have it's light moments (all subtle and believable), but please, no grovelling comedic reliefs.

And I don't want it to be as silly as House of Flying Daggers! Don't get me wrong, it was an enjoyable movie to watch (the cinematography is eye-candy), for all its absurdities (homing knives, hard-to-kill ladies, knife sticking out of some guys back from autumn to winter, etc.) But that sort of Jet-Li kind of movie is not what Pinoys need right now.

Look at Ong Bak. Seems like the focus is Muay Thai, right? No, it is secondary focus. The real focus is going back to your roots and getting Ong Bak back.

Look at Karate Kid. Sure, you hardly see non-stop action, and it featured only one technique (crane kick) that may or may not work in real life. But that sort of movie captured the imagination of the world.

Look at Star Wars. No mention of any style of Martial Art, but got people to want to use swords later on. Even the old Zorro movies got people interensted in fencing.

I believe it is only a rare occurence that a movie the primary focus of which is the martial art becomes prominent. Just look at the B-movies that are forgotten after only a few years, or even months.

Yeah, that's the idea!

Ever remember that Richard Gomez movie where he did some Karate? What was it?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2004
  19. Gryphon Hall

Dean Stockwell vs Escrimador

Does anybody here know of a Dean Stockwell movie called The Pacific Connection a.k.a. Stickfighter? It supposedly features a Spaniard using a military cut and thrust sword vs a stickfighting arnisador.

Check it out here

Last edited: Nov 10, 2004
  20. Gryphon Hall

'Eto pala!

Oooops, okay! Answered my question.

Can you give us some screen shots, for those of us who have never seen the movie?