What ethnicity are you most?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by jujitsuka07, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

Mostly Irish but have reason to think there may be some Spanish influence in my family, going back a long time though, probably when the Spanish invaded Ireland.

2. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

Welsh through and through, from what i've seen of my family tree.

3. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

The Spanish have never invaded Ireland. Perhaps you are you thinking of the Spanish Armada? :confused:

4. DancesWithKnife

DancesWithKnife New Member

As far as I know:

On my mother's side of the family, American Indian [Native American whichever you prefer] has stayed in the bloodline, but everyone is mixed race.
    EX.:My mother is 75% Native American and 25% African American, my uncle is 75% Native American 25% Caucasian. So, I'm guessing that the men that my grandmother [full-blooded Cherokee] "mated" with were at least half Native American. I'm not sure what that makes of me though since I do not know very much of my father, but I can proudly say that I have Native blood running through my veins. C:

[I hope I didn't go overboard]

~Take Care

/DancesWithKnife/

5. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

Invaded is probably the wrong word :D The Amarda is not just one ship though

"The Armada consisted of 130 ships, including transports and merchantmen, and carried about 30,000 men"

This is why some Irish have dark black hair/ eyes and olive skin. Some members on my fathers side have this appearance. I dont though, I burn if I even look at the sun :cry:

6. SnorriSturluson

SnorriSturluson Valued Member

This is more legend than fact. There are records of Spanish Armada survivors being robbed and killed on the coast of Ireland but none of any survivors being integrated into the population. There could have been some who survived and had kids (Irish girls are hot...) but not enough to make any visible difference after ~=15 generations. On the other hand, the average Irish person has a mixture of Pictish/preceltic, Celtic, Norman, other French, Anglo-Saxon, Viking, and other ancestry.

good story: yesterday, I went for the first time to a boxing gym where everyone else present was Hispanic. At one point, I wailed incompetently on a double ended bag-this was the first time I had ever used one. One of the coaches helped me learn how to handle the bag a little better. After I finally hit some passable combinations, he asked "are you Irish?" The answer is that I'm only about a quarter Irish but raised in an Irish-American millieu and a dual Irish-US citizen. In LA the most common ethnicities among white people are Jewish, German, and Okie/Scotch or Scotch-Irish; unhyphenated Irish is pretty far down the list, so he didn't just make a guess. I am not sure whether he asked because most of the "Anglo" (California term for English speaking white people) boxers he had ever heard of were Irish, or whether he spotted something about my looks or mannerisms. In any case I wasn't drunk :) Next time I'll ask him and report back in this space.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  7. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

:D

8. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

The book of Invasions contains Danes - many of whom have dark hair and eyes and Milesians - Welsh/ Brythons - many of whom have dark hair and eyes so it's a bit of a stretch. Many highland Scots also have this appearance it's older than the armada.

9. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

But no one expects the Spanish Inquisition.

[​IMG]

10. youngbraveheart

youngbraveheart New Member

I'm 24th generation Chinese (Cantonese)...

11. SnorriSturluson

SnorriSturluson Valued Member

are you saying that Narrue's grandma kept company with these guys? Good thing we're not in the dojo, or there'd be a fight

12. seanboy

seanboy New Member

This a load orf rubbish, scots predominantly have light features. The scots have the highest proportion of blonde hair and blue eyes in europe. after scandanavia. (the scots are considered nordic more than celtic)
    The welsh are darker due to the iberian ethnicity.

And the southern irish have high numbers of people with black hair and light blue eyes, this is because of the black irish whom were the original celts though the black irish are still very pale skinned.

this story of 100 spanish sailors spreading their genes everywhere in ireland and making them darker ir just legend.

spanish sailors did crash aground in ireland but most were killed and the survivors went back to spain.

13. tetsu ryu

tetsu ryu Death is always a option!

(southern accent) Well I'm mostleh amereken! :p

Nah, but for real.. I come from English Germanic and Scottish decent. A crumpet eating, nazi kilt wearer. And interesting breed eh? ;)

I love stereotypes.. :D

I went to Celtic fest and I bought a lighter... The thing blew up on me! :eek: Those crafty scotsmen.. :D

14. harlan

harlan Ninja Mom

Like my favorite t-shirt says:

%100 American, made with Scottish parts. ;)

15. p_rican fighter

p_rican fighter Valued Member

puertorican...

16. Svart

Svart Valued Member

Mostly French (France not Canada), secondly German. Yes. I fight with myself.

17. Nuklz

Nuklz The Ascended

I am half polish and half british (some different types of british), my half brother is half polish, half italian, when he was born his face was covered with mongolian birthmarks which faded away later.

I did some research and it turns out the mongol hoard invaded Poland, but not Italy. Because of the hoards sexual behaviour, I am lead to beleive that my polish side has a fraction of mongolian influence, possibly even from Genghis Khan himself...........possibly.

18. Sheep

Sheep Valued Member

Biologically? Hardcore Chinese. Culturally? Hardcore Aussie.

19. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

all i know is im english as far as i know down my family but that could be taken further britians been invaded so many times.

20. locust

locust Like a biblical plague

thats perhaps the greatest answer , i cracked up reading it.

I'm part German,Maori,Irish,Chinese