What does your Kiai sound like?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Flying Shadow, Dec 2, 2004.

1. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Try not to kiap just before you actually strike. This will tell your opponent your about to throw an attack.

My Kiap changes all the time, sometimes is just a grunt, sometimes its a high pitched "wa".

2. Gordon

Gordon New Member

Generally a loud grunt. Like 'Hah' or 'Huh'. No stretching out BLLAAAAHWADADADADMOOOOOGEFLICKLEWICKLE!

3. Small Dog

Small Dog Valued Member

this is just my view/training but...

you dont suck in, you breathe like you would at any other moment...

it does all the same stuff a boxer's cat call (read hiss/tsss) but also can be distracting/annoying/intimidating/etc.

if you dont know what im talking about then i cant really illustrate

a good kiai behind a powerful technique has psychological factors too...

say you land a nasty leg shot everytime you kiai, and you only let one out when youve got a good chance of connecting...
    ....if i need to expand beyond that, then you shouldnt be in ma lol

4. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I love to watch those karate shows on ESPN where the kids are screaming their brains out for a kihap. lol

5. Getalifebud

Getalifebud Valued Member

I recently converted from something lame and uncomfortable, to something I quite like the feel of, kind of a "Hai" sound, and then all the white belts ripped me off.

6. Cougar_v203

Cougar_v203 4th surgery....Complete!

lol sucks doesn't it ;) :D

7. traz

traz New Member

I supposed mine sounds kind of like "ee ah" in a deep manner

8. basf12

basf12 Valued Member

mine is waaaaaaaarrraaaa

of haaaaaaaraaaalee

or when i am sparring
    hiyeeeeeeaaak

9. karate P.belt 2

karate P.belt 2 New Member

meh I was taught as a starting kiai HAI but now it sounds more like AAAIII

BTW I saw this post and thought I had to revive it

10. GojuAngelMX

GojuAngelMX New Member

I use my throat a lot in my Kiai, I know that's wrong and I should use my abdomen for it, but I haven't been able to correct that yet. It sounds VERY loud, deep and low(tone), and just a bit longer than it should.

Everytime I kiai, there is an echoe in my dojo, and the windows shake a bit, but I get a sore throat very soon, hehe.

11. Haduken

Haduken Valued Member

i am scared to use my full kiai.. it has been finely trained and can kill at 20 paces...*thinks to 'self....smells breath* :(

12. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Mine's kinda "MMMOOOOOOOO!!!!"

13. SqweeXV

SqweeXV New Member

My whole group right now happens to be guys, and it's kind of funny becuase we are all new to this so we all felt a little awkward at first. All you heard coming out of us was a low pitched "Houah" type sound. :rolleyes:

14. SqweeXV

SqweeXV New Member

My fionce (a black belt) knew a guy who yelled "Saiyah" but in a really wimpy whiny way, so it wasn't even helping, really...

15. furn

furn Valued Member

what a funny topic :D

mine look like:

SEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. karate P.belt 2

karate P.belt 2 New Member

all those long kiais are horrible I fought a guy who used the classic HAI-YA and I avoided every one of his attacks cause I knew they were coming

17. Charm

Charm New Member

Hey!

mine is a simple "waz-aaaaa", altho the 'Boo-yah" cracked me.... i might try one of these in my next lesson altho most of them are too many syllables, so i might just try yelling 'ho' (from Thundercats) and see how that goes... with any luck, the black belt i'll fight will be creasing up giving me a chance to sweep him lol.

nice thread :)

18. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

my kiai is something along the lines of 'eeee iiiiiiii' as if you were actually saying E I

:D

19. furn

furn Valued Member

just though of that, one i use to say was took from yushimitsu or a name like that,a character from Soul Calibur 2, sooo funny

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA......REPEEEEENT! :p

20. KreenWarrior

KreenWarrior New Member

Mine's more of a HEE-YAt (t very soft)