what does the word dragon look like in Korean?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by estranged13, Feb 8, 2004.

1. estranged13

estranged13 ex video game freak

just wondering

2. Yang Dae-han

Yang Dae-han Realising the 'edit'

What does the word look like?

"용"

I don't know what you think Korean 'looks' like, but it is does not contain 'images' like Han-ja (Sino-Korean/Chinese).

Any help?

Cheers,

DH

3. Jointlock

Jointlock Valued Member

According to my dictionary the word for dragon is "yong". This is how it is writen in Hangul.

[​IMG]

4. Yang Dae-han

I see by Jointlock's post, my typing of 용 didn't come up....so, for anyone wanting to be able to view Korean...

Netscape: View -> Character Coding -> Korean (may need to add that language capability)

IE: View -> Encoding -> Korean

Now that that's been settled, is the Korean language writing of 'dragon' what you were looking for, or the Sino-Korean / Chinese version?

Cheers,

DH

5. estranged13

whats the difference???

6. Yang Dae-han

Difference of what? Netscape or IE, Jointlock's or my written form, or Chinese verse Korean?

Cheers,

DH

7. estranged13

whats the sino-chinese version?

8. Yang Dae-han

First, 'Sino' means China ....Sino-Korean is ....ok, extremely succinct explanation.....Koreanised Chinese writing. Same characters but different meanings/pronunciation (such as US English 'rubber' and British English 'rubber').

<<<<<<<<Ok, I 'wrote' out Yong with Win Paint...how do I post it?>>>>>>>>.

I did this really fast, so sorry for the poor painting skills....writing is so much easier.

Cheers,

DH

Last edited: Feb 9, 2004
  9. estranged13

is it the exact same as the chinese char??

10. xeviphract

xeviphract Valued Member

Although the concept of "Dragon" can be represented by more than one character in Chinese script, I believe the attached image will provide you with the most artistic expression.

I found it over at www.childbook.com

11. Yang Dae-han

Yep, that's it.....but I like mine, it's purtier.

Cheers,

Dae-han

Again, for future reference, how do I post images from my HD on this site?

12. Yang Dae-han

Umm, the term dragon can only be written like that. However, words of the same pronunciation ("Yong", in Korean) have multiple spellings/characters and of course, meanings. Then again, I am not an expert in pure Chinese, however, Sino-Korean uses the same characters, so I don't believe there is a difference.

Off the top of my head, "yong" (by pronunciation, but different characters) means: (simplified)

dragon
    face
    brave
    use
    recommend
    wheat
    melt
    run
    king

If you look at the above image, you'll see the right side of the image to resemble a dragon/seahorse....yeah I know, they're sooooo similar.

Cheers,

DH

13. xeviphract

xeviphract Valued Member

On the 'Reply to Thread' page, click on Manage Attachments in the Additional Options>Attach Files box. Browse to the location of the file you wish to upload from your hard drive and once it's been uploaded, you're ready to send a post with an attachment.

As far as "Dragon" is concerned, there is also the simplified Chinese form available, which looks somewhat uninvolved (as was the intention, no doubt).

I'm not sure about any other characters, or if specifically phoenetic symbols could be employed, but through various ages, much of the Chinese script has undergone some degree of alteration. Even when written in its cursive form, "Dragon" can be a mystery to anyone unfamiliar with the original character set, (depending on the calligrapher's approach, naturally enough).

So to say that there is only one way of representing this creature is both correct and incorrect, according to the parameters employed for its definition.

14. Pepsi32123

Pepsi32123 New Member

How can people learn Chinese or Japanese? I know that to be pretty fluent you have to find a relationship in alphabets, but what happens with thousands of characters? Korean is kind of like that, but they've only got a large amount, but they characters go together.

15. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Actually Korean has a fairly small "alphabet" which combines easily into syllables (and words). It is a very easy system, to learn to read and write in (I learned Hangeul in about 6 hours). The main problem after that is understanding and learning the grammar and vocabulary.

Korea still uses Chinese characters in their day to day use... you see them in newspaper, names, and such and Korean students are supposed to know about 10,000 characters when they graduate high school... most do not. You can get by in Korean without a deep knowledge of Chinese Characters (many Koreans do).

Chinese characters are very different from the normal Korean writing system (Hangeul).