What does everone think of CNG's SKK...

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Joe V., Feb 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red J

Red J New Member

Yah, I figured that being that the 18 you described was a radical departure.

Do you know where the 26 actually came from? IE 1-16 from here, 17-26 from there?

2. octopic

octopic New Member

I've never been associated with USSD. Of course that wasn't your main point, but I thought I'd make that clear. This goes back to the point that I was making. Most likely what happened along the way is that what Geary got taught was incorrect, or he didn't learn is properly, and as such, it wasn't effective. As he didn't have access to masters in the style to help work out his questions, he had to go off on his own to find his own answers. Now, it is certainly possible that he came up with great solutions. I don't know, I haven't seen them. However, I'm willing to bet that had he been able to work out his concerns with a high ranking master, then he'd have ended up with better solutions than he did come up with.

3. Joe V.

Joe V. Valued Member

How did Geary look back through all the phases? He did not study with Prof. Cerio. He was merely ranked and then stripped of his rank. He most certainly has never even met GGM. Pesare. He never studied under GM Villari. He never studied under GM. Gascon. Again, he was ranked and stripped of his rank. He never studied under GM Mattera. How did Geary amass this wealth of knowledge in his lineage and the combinations? I thought all his higher ranks came from Hanshi Angle, who correct me if I am wrong, is NOT from the Kajukenbo,KGS,NCK,SKK lineage at all. Did I miss something?
    JoeV

4. Joe V.

Joe V. Valued Member

Yet more paper to add to the wall??? PLEASE stop! We will run out of trees! Do you really think that adds some form of legitimacy to Geary??? Pathetic attempt on Geary's part. Did you see the new Message from Prof. Rash on the KGS BBS?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2006
  5. John Bishop

John Bishop Valued Member

Really sad. Regretfully there are way too many high ranks being traded back and forth to people who never put in the years or even hours on the mat under the instructor making the promotion.
    Even worse is people making promotions in styles they hold no rank in themselves.
    How can you honestly claim a rank from someone you've never trained under, or even met in person?

6. Red J

Red J New Member

So let me understand. Someone can email their MA history to someone who is of importance, they will review their training and instructors, and then send them a certificate? I realize that it is an honorary certificate but that just sounds too easy without actually spending some time with the person getting the ranking.

I read in chapter 16 that the lineage and instructors were researched. Who exactly were the instructors besides the people mentioned at the USSD? Was their any training with the NCK organization? Is an "Advisor" an instructor or more like a mentor? Please clarify.

I wish some video would be posted of Mr. Geary to go with his website. That would clear up a lot of this conversation and would be a great marketing opportunity for him. If a picture is worth a thousand words then a video would be a tome.

7. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Prof. Geary tells me that the #18 I described above comes from Nick Cerio's Kenpo.

8. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Yes, apparently, that is exactly how it works.

9. kenpoist

kenpoist New Member

Don't want to take anything away from you and Pacific Shore, but I made the initial inquiry into the history between Pesare and Gascon (see post #62) as referenced in Geary's :)woo: autobiography :bang: ). Glad for your input.

10. Joe V.

Joe V. Valued Member

Please see the special message on http://www.karazenpogoshinjutsu.com/index.html. It might answer your video question. :D

11. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

where's the video link?

12. KGS BBS

KGS BBS Valued Member

Hi Kenpoist, in all due respect I don't know which one of us are missing the point of these posts, so I will take it upon myself to be more specific. My response was of the personal situation mentioned by Pacificshore between SGM. Pesare and myself has been resolved and I said nothing of any situation between Mr. Pesare and Mr. Gascon. Do not go by what Mr. Geary wishes to lead people to believe on his website, there is much misinformation on his site. I'm sure he is well aware that the matter between Mr. Pesare and myself has been resolved but he would rather feebly attempt to fan the flames or start rumor. Let him. Who cares. His Chapter 16 shows him to be the paper chaser we stated he is. Now he wants Dr. Burdine to review his technique for rank, lol. Let him come to New England and we'll review his technique, perhaps at SGM. Pesare's Kaito Gakko or Milford Studio of Self Defense. I can't speak for SGM. Pesare but if I was a betting man, I'm sure he wouldn't mind evaluating Mr. Geary. I'd also bet Mr. Geary doesn't post Mr. Pesare's current e-mails in regards to him on his autobiography, lol. Since he travels all over, he is invited to Milford Studio of Self Defense anytime. As far as any problem between SGM. Pesare and GGM. Gascon goes, Mr. Pesare, at the Nick Cerio Legacy Memorial, stated in his speech that he totally acknowledged GGM. Gascon as his instructor who gave him his identity in Kempo and spoke very well of him. He also stated, as many know, there is a problem between himself and Victor Gascon at this time but that is between him and Victor and no one else. I also was honored to accept the presentation for GGM. Gascon who was unable to attend. I also read his acceptance speech in which he also acknowledged SGM. Pesare in a good light. So let's just put that one to rest. If Mr. Geary has a problem with anything I have stated, he knows how he can reach me, otherwise he should put a lid on it. Mr. Geary's video that will be posted shortly by Prof. Mike Rash on the KGS BBS website will answer everyone's questions. Sincerely, Prof. Joe Shuras

Last edited: Mar 24, 2006
  13. KGS BBS

KGS BBS Valued Member

Let me also add,it was brought to my attention that all the negativism in regards to Professor Nick Cerio has been deleted from Geary website. For those who may be puzzled for an answer, let me explain. Take a look at his Chapter 16, where he begins 'kissing up' to Dr. Thomas Burdine for rank and more than likely a possible sokeship in the future. However, to Geary's disappointment, he finds Burdine was retired from his position of the World Council of Sokes but he probably figures he still has an in. Geary knows Burdine thought very highly of Cerio so how could he court him or should I say con him with all the negative b.s. he had written about Cerio. So Geary deletes the Cerio stuff off and sends the altered links to Burdine. Man, if you people can't see it by now....well...never mind.....Good night.

14. kenpoist

kenpoist New Member

That is a good start KGS BBS! When he takes all references to Cerio, Pesare and Gascon off his site, we will be getting somewhere. He can make up his own style and have whatever rank he wants, but he shouldn't be trying to legitmize himself via false pretenses through association of these great Martial Artist's. I guess, Lou Angel has his own reason's for backing Geary up - whatever they may be. This "relationship" is not providing a positive reflection on Hanshi Angel's reputuation IMHO. :confused:

15. kempojosh

kempojosh Valued Member

which part of the website was altered? Chapter 6, which talks about getting his 1st bb,does not appear to be altered.

16. KGS BBS

KGS BBS Valued Member

Kenpoist, I couldn't have said it better. My hat goes off to you, sir! We are most definitely on the same page. Thanks for your response. "Joe"

17. kickingfist

kickingfist New Member

Pro joe,
    Do you have a web site?
    And how does the martial arts you teach vary from villaris?

18. KGS BBS

KGS BBS Valued Member

Actually, it doesn't vary that much at all. I'd have my own style but I can't see re-inventing the wheel for it's not that much different. I do feel what we should have as the backbone of what we teach is the system that gave us our 'identity' in the arts. The one that you spent the most initial time in to cement your foundation from which to build upon, the one you're the most comfortable with and proficient in....that is why I seeked out SGM. Pesare, Professor Cerio and GGM. Gascon-all direct lineage to Villari's. The same immediate family. As a matter of fact, I'm still connected to my original instructor who groomed me for black belt when he was with Villari, Hanshi Craig Seavey who's now co-head of Nick Cerio's Kenpo.

Yes, I have added things and made some modifications as everyone does from studying with these different masters, not to mention I've incorporated street proven elements of police defensive techniques and northern and southern Chinese Kung Fu systems that I studeid over the years. I feel Villari's system if taught properly offers everything one needs for the streets of today. The four ways of fighting, a carry over from Kajukenbo, it's mother system, covers all the bases. Again, I have added the Nick Cerio stuff just the way it was taught to me by Professor Cerio. When I was ranked by the Professor in my original system (Villari's) for 6th dan shihan, I also was tested and promoted to sandan in NCK, so I have the curriculum up to 3rd, I do find NCK fits nicely into Shaolin Kempo.

So, to answer your question, I teach early Villari's Kempo (I left him in '81, I started in GoJu in 73, switched to Villari under Seavey in '74), with that Prof. Cerio told me I could teach and advertise Milford Studio of Self Defense teaching Nick Cerio's Kenpo. Now, to own and operate an actual Nick Cerio's Kenpo school you had to have a teaching license for NCK and that's all you taught-NCK. My teaching license was for American Kenpo (SKK) from the Professor, that way my school would keep its independance and I could still teach my original system and NCK if I chose. This is how he explained it to me back then.

However, I still run 'rough & tumble' classes and test nights are not a cake walk either. All rank is worked for, no passes. Green belt is pretty demanding BUT Brown belt testing is a nightmare, lol. Black belt is a day long affair and is given on the weekend of our annual Summer Camp.

Here's my e-mail address; jshuras@hotmail.com and yes, I've just started a website that's still under contruction, e-mail me. Thank you for your interest!

Take care & be safe, "Joe"

19. Joe V.

Joe V. Valued Member

There is a new message on the KGS BBS site that answers that.

20. Joe V.

Joe V. Valued Member

I like the quote on your web page Prof. Shuras! I think it is particularly appropriate for this thread.
    “If you are more interested in wearing a belt then earning one, I suggest you study somewhere else.”
    I think that speaks loads as to how you run your school and the high standards you require of your students!
    I look forward to seeing you next month at your tournament!
    JoeV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.