What defines a Martial artist? (Taekwondo)

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by matutor, Oct 19, 2015.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Having to explain and ask. No question. Hands down. Because, unless you've got an absolutely brilliant plan for recovering the term, you're not going to have an accurate one. Ever. Even people who CAN fight can't agree on what sort of fighting, how much fighting, and what context of fighting counts. So yes, a more in-depth discussion of what you do is infinitely easier.

Easier still, don't have a conversation. Do what you do and let people draw their own conclusions.

Why? Can't you just say "we use force"? Or better yet, show someone what you do?

Your time among the humans is going to be very difficult, I fear.

And we all know that there's not a shred of verbosity or overblown theory there. I trained with a JKD group for years. I love JKD. But seriously?

2. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

You're right.

3. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

I honestly don't care that much. This whole discussion is just academic and I'm going to do that either way. I just enjoy the argument.

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I imagine everyone on a martial arts discussion board has a bit of that tendency. :)

Or a whole lot of self-hatred.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

No, but they instruct the military in the system that the military themselves will be using

6. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I don't recall referring to myself much as a "martial artist", but I often tell people "I study (the) martial arts".

To me, 'martial arts' is a fairly generic term that encompasses skill sets that revolve in some way around self defense and/or fighting (not always mutually inclusive).

If someone were to say they are a 'martial artist' to me, I would presume they study one (or more) of the commonly known arts like Taekwondo, Karate, Judo, etc. I would be happy to lump MMA, boxing, wrestling, and the like into 'martial arts', even though I tend to hear practitioners thereof usually being very specific about what they study... maybe because of the name recognition. Often if I say that I study 'Hapkido', it gets blank stares until I add 'Karate' or 'Martial Art' in there.

I don't particularly have any sort of issue with the term 'martial artist'; it doesn't irritate me half as much as the use of the word 'warrior'. :)

7. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Haha

Warrior is worse for sure!

Both usually uttered with the same conceited smugness though.

8. Knee Rider

I had the misfortune to meet one such individual last week, when he entered the halogen blazed, windowless hell of sporting commodities in which I'm unfortunate enough to toil as a cashier cum retail security guard and general dog's body while I complete my current studies. He was looking for a black belt. I asked him what for and he said he was a "martial artist" who had "studied 3 different martial arts" and was starting back at some horrific sounding chinese+japanese hybrid style in Hull and was told he could wear his old grade. He glowed as he revealed his extensive background in GKR karate (Imagine my amusement). His self regard was palpable... And wholey misplaced.

9. Hannibal

What style perchance? As a former resident of Hull I knew a lot of the local stylists back in the day

10. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

No it doesn't, and that is not how it works.

11. Knee Rider

I really REALLY wish I could remember but I can't and Google is fruitlrss (I wanted to laugh at the website as I'm a petty petty man with petty petty hobbies haha).

12. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Here's a few examples: pedant, promiscuous, punk, chaperone, mugger, bully, nice.

Why have their meanings changed completely over the centuries?

13. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Lighten up, try and be a little gayer.

(You missed the best one David).

14. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

This explains why you're so grumpy all the time. Did you get time off your sentence there for good behaviour? :D

Mitch

15. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Including firearm and explosives?

16. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Do you know anyone who describes explosives training as "martial arts"?

A curse on the next person who quotes the dictionary definition of "martial."

17. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Bujinkan?

18. Hannibal

I fail to see that as having relevance

19. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

What about unlawful combatants ?

20. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

A botanist is someone who plays around with plants. a Philatelist is someone who plays around with stamps, and a martial artist is someone who plays around with martial arts.

Whether you like it or not Kneerider you are a martial artist.