what complements aikido?

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Zero Vector 0, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Jordan

Jordan Valued Member

Most styles like aikijitsu,jj.judo,bjj,wrestling,grappling and so forth all have a close relationship with Aikido. And if you come across a fast puncher some Wing Chun ( ving tsun) will set you up for a wrist lock or throw.

2. Munners

Munners New Member

Capoeira and Aikido

Just wondering if anyone has tried Capoeira, and if/how well it blended with their Aikido training....._?

Any info/opinions would be most appreciated.

3. Seito

Seito New Member

well the first two obviouse ones would be
    1)Kendo
    2)Judo
    Both of these styles were used to create Aikido.
    My suggestion.......karate:D
    By applying aikido principles to karate, you can do wonders!!!;)

4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Judo, used to create Aikido..... no.

5. Qasim

Qasim Guest

Not in anyone's Wildest Dreams......

6. DexterTCN

DexterTCN New Member

OSensei said: 'Aiki wa ken no michi'

'Aiki is kendo'

7. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Wing Chun i'd say...

8. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

9. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

While the two have common concepts this is only becaue they are both Budo arts.Aikido (I believe) came form Aikijitsu and more general schools of JMA or "Ju jitsu" (which can refer to a number of schools of MA).

All budo arts have concepts in common.
    "Aiki is Kendo" does not mean that one come form the other. Just that there are a number of shared concepts.

10. Seito

Seito New Member

Read the books its all there................

11. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

what books?

12. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I've read a lot of aikido books and a lot of aikido magazines, amigo. I have never read a single source that said aikido came out of kendo or judo. Maybe you meant aikijujitsu and kenjitsu.

13. Barthox

Barthox New Member

I wouldn't say that aikido came from Judo and kendo, but I'm quite sure that O Sensei practiced kenjutsu and I think he trained in either Jujitsu or even Judo.

However, my own reading on the matter tend to date some, so ...

Now, to come back to the inital question of this thread, I think it depends on what you want that second MA to be vis-a-vis Aikido.

Either you want something that would fill in the 'attack' side that Aikido lacks. Then, any style would do, I guess

Or, you're looking for something that would help you deepen your studies in the path you've choosen so far. Then, I would suggest Kenjutsu (NOT Kendo). As I said, from what I remember from my aikido classes and some readings, part of the Aikido techniques are supposed to work against an opponent armed with a Katana (as well as some other weapons).

I did train in Aikido and in Kenjutsu (even if only a little), and I could clearly feel a link between both. And by the way, my Kenjutsu sensei was giving Aikido classes as well ...

14. marais

marais New Member

hello all
    i couldnt help not notice this thead.
    in the beginning parts of this subject one of you mentioned TKD with aikido.
    i think it makes a brilliant match.granted i have only learned a couple of aikido movements but it works like a charm.i find i use my TKD on an individual apponent for attack and defence,but when it comes to multiple assailents i deflect/re-direct them into a pile or corner with aikido.after that you pile into them with all the glorious power of TKD kicks and strikes.:woo:
    in other word Aikido to manipulate and Tkd to strike:D:

15. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

hmm, I know that O-sensei trained in kenjutsu and ju jutsu, yagyu-ryu ju jutsu, kodokan judo, goto judo, daito ryu jujutsu and then he started forming his own style which he first named aiki-bujutsu at around 1922, at around 1925 he met a kendo fighter and was challenged, he accepted and defeated him without actually fighting, he saw the directions the attack would come from before the kendo fighter executed the strike. this experience made him decide to change his styles name to aiki-budo.

the first mention of him practising kendo is in the 30's.

His art started to be known as aikido in around 1941.

pilfered from budo teachings of the founder of Aikido.

16. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Traditionaly other martial arts don't compliment Aikido. It's the other way around. Aikido compliments other martial arts. It used to be seen as the icing on the cake way back when O Sensei was still alive. Teachers of other arts used to send their students to O Sensei to be taught Aikido. I've never heard of O Sensei ever sending any of his students to another teacher.

It's not hard to see why if you consider how bad Tomiki Aikido looks, which has a heavey Judo influence.

Personaly I think if you want to practice another art along side Aikido the best option would be to concentrate on weapons training. This makes sense since all the basic movements in Aikido were developed from the movements employed when using a sword or jo or as a counter to a weapon.

Something like Aiado or Kendo would probably sit best with Aikido. I'd definatly steer cleare of arts like Judo or Karate.

Sorry this was so long.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2004