what complements aikido?

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Zero Vector 0, Nov 8, 2003.

1. zun

zun New Member

I've not studied Aikido - however am studying tai chi. Previously I've done kickboxing.

During tai chi classes I've had to unlearn almost everything from kickboxing in order to progress.

I suspect the same with aikido mixed with kickboxing. Rather than complement - you may find that they clash (especially because of the hard style and wearing of gloves). However, at a more proficient stage, there is nothing to stop you mixing both.

2. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

is this sine wave thing what I see in internet TKD videos?

where the student sort of bobs up and down whilst doing their pattern?

our instructor tells us off if we do that

3. Arrowhead

Arrowhead New Member

I dont think there is any single art that compliments aikido, i think its more a case of to each his own....it depends on what each individual wants out of the martial arts.

4. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

You are confusing exaggerated sine wave for gravity reminding a big guy with a high centre of gravity that he's all around him! ;) :D

P.s. Infesticon?? What style TKD you learning. What association? Who is your instructor? Might help explain things!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2003
  5. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

I'm with the TAGB we do ITF and my instructor is Mr Charles Gellard 5th Dan.

hope that helps.

6. zun

zun New Member

In kickboxing, we hop around a lot (the sine wave!).

Really for two reasons.

1. Keeps us mobile (harder to hit and move much in-out faster than with lead feat).

2. Quickly rejuvenates us. You'll note that when boxers retreat, some will bounce on the spot.

In Tai chi, we're not allowed to do this (except perhaps for a kick). I suspect this is the same for aikido.

7. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

hmm, we bounce around when we spar, but I don't think we're supposed to when we do forms (or for me exercises)

8. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

:D

Took him off the floor by a few feet as he reached his 'peak' in randori, that gotta hurt! :D

Probably couldn't do it again if I tried :)

9. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

i didn't know that kcik boxing uased sine wave aswel. I thaught that was mainlt a TKD thing.

10. Freeform

Uh, I think I need to get Tosh to explain Sine wave theory to you, its to do with power generation.

Col

11. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

According to the ITF.

The eighth training secret of TKD

To create a sine wave during the movement by utilising the knee spring properly.

A sine wave is a mathematical function which resembles the gentle waves that are seen in the sea. In order to move in this fashion the practitioner must initially bend the knees slightly thereby moving downwards and providing the necessary spring that allows the weight to be taken off the feet as the body rises to the middle of the movement, then once past the centre the body weight again drops at the completion of the movement.

The purpose of this form of movement is twofold, the raising of the body through the centre point allows the practitioner to move rapidly and with little weight on the feet, and the dropping of the body weight at the end of the movement ensures that the maximum amount of mass possible is applied to the technique at the end of the movement, thereby increasing the momentum.

To practitioners of most Karate styles this way of moving is considered to be incorrect, with most insisting on the head moving in a horizontal line and the use of a substantial hip twist in order to apply as much mass to the impact as possible. I can only speak from my own experience here, despite using and teaching the karate way for many years, I now use a sine wave because, firstly, I find it to be a more natural way of moving, secondly, I find it to be substantially less injurious to the lower back and most importantly I now generate more power in my techniques than when I used hip twist alone.

The only down side I have encountered in using sine wave is when entering karate competitions the judges always take marks off because as one judge pointed out to me your "head has to stop bobbing up and down". It is important to note that this way of moving is generally only used in martial arts by ITF Taekwon-Do practitioners and was only developed relatively recently by General Choi Hong Hi. It is therefore not seen in many of the styles of Taekwon-Do which where part of the original ITF when it was formed in the 1960's.

To General Choi's credit he is not content to let his martial art become stagnant and even at the age of 79 years he is still making improvements.

EDIT: i know this is quite old... Ctrl C, Ctrl V Gen Choi is no longer with us! :(

This is why I'm confused Infesticon. The last time I heard the TAGB were still using sine wave thoery. Has this now changed? Quite a radical move I thought I would have heard about it. Perhaps you are interpreting your instructor wrong?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2003
  12. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

hmm I dunno, they told me that the 3 ways of generating power were
    1. Hip twist
    2. Reaction
    3. Acceleration

I'll ask next monday though.

13. Freeform

Cheers Tosh! :D

I take it at higher levels sine wave it a more subtle movement?

Col

14. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Personally, without dragging this thread too off track. I think it's the same with breath control/Kihap. Students do what they think is the correct motion but it takes the 'Golden Moment' when it works properly and they go 'Ahhhhhhhh, that's what it means'

Usually, sine wave is replaced with an erratic bobbing which is what instructors usually complain about. A gentle down-up-down motion is all that is required.

15. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

GTF use sine wave. But i dont think htey put anough emphisis on it or explain it well enogh. In my LG class when i use to teach i use to make the correct way bof punching to me which wasn't just a twist of the hip) as well as i could.

To all those who no about sine wave.

Why does force going down increase power (alot ) to a punch which is moving in a different directio horizontal?
    I understand that sine wave may be preferable to TKD so fett can move faster. But i just don't see how it could generate any real power.

16. Smee

Smee Evil kung fu genius

Sub

It's basic physics. Dunno if i can explain properly but...

Sinking movement generates equal reaction from the ground which if timed correctly generates additional power to the strike. Your sinking force requires an equal reaction to maintain equilibrium. Imagine standing on soft ground and jumping up in the air. When you land you will sink (as the soft ground cannot sustain enough reactive force) until you reach a hard enough surface that can transmit an equal and opposite reactive force to your feet - thereby keeping you at the same position. If you didn't get the reaction you would keep sinking into the ground.

By co-ordinating the strike with the exact moment that you engage this reaction then you can derive extra power.

Some similar general concepts of gaining force from sinking are applied in kung fu. Hung Gar often employs foot stamps to derive energy and "sinking" the stance to generate more power to techniques such as double tiger claw. However, the general principle in kung fu is to keep the head at a steady position so as to maintain solidity and stability of stance when moving.

Cheers
    Paul

17. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

Yeh paul thanks.: D
    but i just thaught that if u had to do this for every srike instead of a hip twist and time it perfectly then woudn't it be
    A) very hard to do
    B) if u get it slightly wrong will it loose you massive amounts of power?

I know about th "sinking" of stance in CMA but as you sadi we are trained to keep pur head at the same level (not in sinking) but these sinking strikes are not every strike. And if they were i just think that it would take alot of time.

I think i'm gonna ask about this in teh TKD thread. Sorry for going of topic.

18. Soete-tsuki

Soete-tsuki New Member

Aikido focuses on eliminating the threat from your opponent without injuring them, I don't see how hard styles work with this concept =/

19. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

What about knife defences? Etc etc.
    At our Uechi dojo we build around the style with the Aiki-do school around the corner.

20. domidude

domidude New Member

i think wing tsun would do well with aikido to make your art more practical but still have the two styles somewhat close... on the other hand tai chi would be good for the ki part..