what complements aikido?

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Zero Vector 0, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Zero Vector 0

Zero Vector 0 New Member

im sure there are people here who practice multiple arts

tell me what would be good to combine with my studies of aikido?

2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Judo comes immediately to mind. Many great aikido teachers also had/have high rank in judo. Both arts are built around circular motion, unbalancing the opponent, and being in the right place so that you don't have to use muscles.

I read an article in "Aikido Today Magazine" about an aikido teacher in Canada who teaches BJJ along side aikido. He says the two are very similar in theory. They both emphasize moving from the hips, and flowing with the opponent's energy so as to turn the opponent's strength against him.

3. Mr Blobby

Mr Blobby New Member

I think kendo goes well, because of the emphasis on real-time sparring, movement from the hips and rear foot, and accurate atemi, all of which are relied on in Aikido but difficult to practice in the typical dojo.

4. aikiscotsman

aikiscotsman Banned Banned

MORE AIKIDO-aiki ken, aiki jo, kumtachi,kumi jo, kata, ken tai jo, tachi dori,jo dori,san juichi no jo kata, jusan no jo kata, ni ju suburi, ken suburi, ken awase, jo awase,ninin dori,sanin dori ect,and of course taijutsu, hard, soft, flowing, ki, takemusu aiki, kaisha waza ,all waza. and henkas in everything

5. Munners

Munners New Member

This is another question as to what complements Aikido. In the past I have studied Tai-chi, which I felt complemented my Aikido and allowed me to study the Ki aspect from another angle.

I am now searching for another art to study in addition to Aikido, but at this time, due to time and travel considerations, can only find a kickboxing gym.

Would appreciate comments of the combination of Aikido and Kickboxing.....

6. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

yep tai-CHI and ai-KI...both soft styles and very similar concepts.
    I studied aikido before striking and they complement one another fairly well. In order to understand the transition from one to the other, you need to know about ranges of fighting and how to adjust your techniques in each one. Aikido is great for mid to close range and something like muay Thai also has close range techniques like elbows, knees, hooks and even headbutts. Aikido uses atemi strikes so you can incorporate the strikes from muay Thai into Aikido. If you are grabbed, you can perhaps lock the opponent, strike and then complete the throw. Or use the striking first to soften him up till you get in range for a lock or throw.
    I.E. instead of completing ikkyo, end up with a kick to the opponent's face or shove his head down into your knee. Or iriminage into a horizontal elbow to the head. Nikkyo to sankyo to hard punch/front kick into the opponent's exposed rib cage.

You wouldn't really have TRUE aikido but rather a conglomerate of techniques. The important point is knowing how to flow and transition from one technique to another.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2003
  7. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

They're opposites. One gets in your face, toe to toe, chin to chin, and fights. The other gets out of the way, and does not fight. One is peace, one is war.

Knowing both can be a good thing, but I don't see how they can be combined.

8. Tomiki Ryu

Tomiki Ryu New Member

9. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

tae kwon do?

I think that the two different styles can be done to give a more complete style.

10. Zero Vector 0

Zero Vector 0 New Member

interesting thought about doing something different to make a "complete" style

what would you consider to be the opposite of aikido?

ive got quite a bit of strength and wouldnt mind putting it to use in more direct attacks

edit: any sword arts beside kendo(seems too much like a sport to me)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2003
  11. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

People who like aikido.

what a bad joke.

Ne way.a striking art i suppose EG kung Fu, karate TKD

12. DexterTCN

DexterTCN New Member

Aikido would be well complemented with some in-fighting 'styles' such as judo, amateur wrestling or bjj (frankly most aiki newaza is terrible).

Mix that with a good striking art such as boxing/thai/wing chun/karate and you should be pretty capable....if your intention is self defence.

I wouldn't waste time with weapons personally.

13. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I don't think TKD would go well with Aikido, the basic principles clash on to many points.

Col

14. SPAWNPAIN

SPAWNPAIN New Member

:) If you think about it Aikido complements every single martial art don't you think? :)

15. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

yeh i take back what i sadi about TKD complementing aikido. I was looking for difference, but it is too diffrent.

16. Freeform

Yep ;)

I think the sine wave is the complete antithesis of the core of Aikido as a whole.

Col

17. khafra

khafra New Member

I knew a Monkey stylist once who said that he'd previously used aikido for defense and southern crane for offense. Sounded like an interesting combo.

18. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

I dunno about this Col. I mean without pointing reference to Hapkido (and speaking really from my own limited personal experience) I think it is a good compliment. However I do not think the door flows both ways here.

I mean even 3/4qrts of the way up the coloured belt syllabus in TKD the sine wave principle is still only really starting to take root in students. If you take myself and Scott's (old instructors) sine wave its really quite a slight motion. Even though I've really only had limited Aikido exposure I still feel it was more complementing rather than contradictory.

But here I think we are in to the territory of arts only clashing unless you have a very good base in one of the arts to start with. It would be interesting to here Tintin's thoughts on this as, as far as I am aware, he was a black belt in Aikido for a good number of years before dabbeling in TKD.

Where art thou Tintin? :D

P.s. Apologies to all Hapkido'ists who may take offence at the TKD/Aikido reference here, I'm just using it as a comparison. ;)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2003
  19. Freeform

Hmm, quite possibly your right, as I've only ever beaten up your students ;) when they've wandered into Tintins class to give it a try.

They tend to bring a very exaggerated sine wave to the randori which is quite easily abused (ask Louis :D )

I suppose we should get Tintins input on this as he's practiced both.

TINTIN! TINTIN? HERE BOY! HERE BOY!

20. SPAWNPAIN

SPAWNPAIN New Member

:D LOL LOL LOL LOL ROLF ROLF ROLF :D That was funny