What competitions allow striking,throws & grappling but with safety gear/low contact?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by ronki23, Jun 20, 2011.

1. ronki23

ronki23 Valued Member

Not Oriental brah-i'm Indian

2. ronki23

ronki23 Valued Member

I know but still- I live in a crappy little town where over 50% of the *******s from High School live-plus a year after High School when I was working at Domino's Pizza, there was an ******* there too who used to make fun of me being into dieting,working out in the gym,etc. he was one of those confident emos with the tattoos/piercings,etc.-I should have beat him up but I wasn't so sure of myself

I WANT to fight MMA just to build credibility-tbh I want to move away and live in another country and fight 2 x a year there and then fly to my home town once a year and fight 1x a year there in 'grudge' matches to get these people out of my mind.

Is competing in MMA 3x a year a good number?
    Is it best to do Sport JJ/level 4 or level 3 MMA first (4=light contact,no head shots; 3= full contact, no head shots)?
    What are the 'normal' states in America to live in that nobody ridicules for being full of posers/rednecks?
    I'm thinking of living in Qatar/Cuba/Singapore/Russia

3. ronki23

ronki23 Valued Member

My plan

2 months bodybuilding
    2 months fight prep
    Fight #1

2 months bodybuiding
    2 months fight prep
    Fight #2

2 months bodybuilding
    2 months fight prep
    Fight #3-Grudge match against bully from the past OR people I have a problem with from other MA clubs from my kickboxing days

I want to fight 3x a year. I miss Kickboxing too much to stick to only Wrestling/Judo but I can't do Kickboxing because I always get overtaken by people- especially when they pressure me or do that stupid 'stick their arm out in my face' thing because i'm not fast enough to knock the arm away AND attack. Plus in Kickboxing I always end up 'hiding' behind my guard/

Hence the reason I want to EVENTUALLY fight MMA-I am just not sure whether I should do Amateur MMA or Sport JJ or Combat Sambo first!

4. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

TBH mate I think the first thing you should do now is find a good MMA gym and start training. This will also give you a chance to talk to fighters and give you a good idea about what it takes to compete in MMA and the training required. You can plan all you like but until you actually train with guys who compete its all very theoretical.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  5. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Shananagians!!

6. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

I believe he was refering to the afformention fatness and weakness rather than your ethnicity... you get bodybuilding models of all ethnic backgrounds but not too many fat and weak ones. Not unless they model for NHS nutritional advice pamphlets :D

7. ronki23

ronki23 Valued Member

Mate, i'm a bodybuilder in that I am building my physique but I have a bad case of skinny-fat and gyno. I want to build my foundations as a bodybuilder first-get some muscle and become somewhat of a jock via the weight training and wrestling- I have done kickboxing for too long and i'm still limited in the speed aspect-that and nobody was helping me get over getting hit/giving me any specific exercise to get over it

8. ronki23

ronki23 Valued Member

http://www.salisburymma.co.uk/ is where I plan to go
    http://www.aspiremartialarts.net/Mixed-Martial-Arts.html is my second choice

where I live, 1 club is my ex-kickboxing club (which also does MMA), another club is my Sensei's ex-prized student's club (this guy doesn't get along with anyone), another club has people with huge egos (that I don't agree with) and finally, one club is basically the Cobra Kai of the lot (successful but up themselves).

As stated though, atm I am training in Tenjin Shinyo Ryu Goshin Jitsu and (when at Uni) I do Judo and Wrestling so it's not as if I am sitting on my @ss just thinking something up

9. february

february Valued Member

Jesus. Just get to a decent MMA gym and train. Sitting around theorising on a 5 year plan before even doing that will get you exactly nowhere.

10. BRAWLER

BRAWLER Valued Member

I lost 70lbs to make middleweight. I am 6'2" 183, and it is really tough to keep that weight. Don't worry about it. If I die early, it will most likely be from head trauma or a terrible car accident. I'm not going to die from heart disease or diabetes brought on by years of Dr. Pepper and Jimmy Dean. (Yes, I had to be brand specific.) I live life as a loner, who does what he wants. I don't let anybody get to me about anything. Especially the ones that don't matter. The only ones that you have to look like a god to are your wife and kids. Everyone else can screw off! Do what you do.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." -Abraham Lincoln