What can Qi do?

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Britzy, May 8, 2005.

1. jonmonk

jonmonk New Member

Capt Ann, any chance you could bung some references this way? I'd be interested in having a read.

2. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

Good ref for introductory history: the official textbook used by the Ministry of Public Health, People's Republic of China, for advanced studies in accupuncture (and it's available in English!!). In my opinion, not worth buying, but well worth reading the front section. There are two main textbooks used in China for accupuncture, and Hwardo could probably give you the names of both off the top of his head. I'll have to look back through my notes to find them.

Great ref. on accupuncture: The NIH published a 'consensus survey' on accupuncture a little while back. This included information from practitioners of western eastern, traditional, and non-traditional medicine. The resulting paper was a summary of what all could agree on about accupuncture--where it worked, where it didn't, and where more research was needed. Interestingly, what 'worked' was non-traditional accupuncture: use of needles with applied RF source (definitely not a technique thousands of years old) for pain management.

For philosophical context of chi/qi/ki, I recommend everyone google up some sources on 'neo-confucianism'. This marked a period in Chinese history where a lot of ideas about chi/qi/ki were being worked out, along with the difference between qi (ideal) and 'li' (intent).

With apologies, it will take me a while to throw some refs together. First, it wasn't important to me, at the time I was researching all this, to keep track of all the refs I found. Second, my computer got infected with some nasty spyware/adware, and it is currently 'at the cleaners'. I am borrowing a computer for Internet access, and all my favorite links are somewhere else. :(

3. jonmonk

jonmonk New Member

Thanks Capt Ann, I appreciate it. My book wish list has grown exponentially since joining this site :D

4. gerard

gerard Valued Member

They both lead to the same place as Christianism, Judaism, Islamism, and any other isms you can find. Methods differ but the end goal is identical.

:)

5. soggycat

soggycat Valued Member

I beg to differ:

The aim of Buddhism is Nirvana, when a being disappears from existence.
    The aim of Taoism is Immortality physical or spiritual depending on achievement.
    The aim of the semitic religions like Christianity, Judaism and Islam is to get into heaven to live with the Creator in the next life.
    :Angel:

6. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

I think it would be a good, faithful way to view it if all of those paths lead to the same place. That is how I personally choose to view it. That said, I think it would be incorrect to think that all of the different methods those paths use can be used interchangebly. Of course some methods have some synergy, but in particular, the value sets are different.

7. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
    Erm can I just point out this is a separate subject we're on right now - and infinitely more complex than an "is it - isn't it" definition by debate.
    The subject in this thread is "what can qi do?", "not whose religion is best?" there is a whole forum for that...
    :Angel:

8. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

I don't think anyone is taking it to a bad place (yet). :eek:

9. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

What can qi do? I think the answer is another question: how much can you practice Qi Gong?

10. WhereMyRiceGo

WhereMyRiceGo Banned Banned

all u people do is joke around and u guys dont even answer the question ..WHAT CAN QI DO??? GIVE AN EXAMPLE dammit. u guys blab on for like paragraphs straight when all u had to say was qi gong = internal energy that u can controlled in a way that u cannot explain.

11. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

People can't even agree on whether or not it exists, how can you expect them to agree about what it does?

12. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

Qigong can enhance your biomechanics, give you greater body awareness, and connect you with yourself in a spiritual manner. Through this, you get more control over your body for function, healing, and thinking.

dO U undurstand?

13. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

That is presuming it exists

14. Shadowdh

Shadowdh Seeker of Knowledge

It does exist... only as a term for explaining a confluence of things not as a mystical magical energy... ;)

15. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

A confluence of things...nice :)

16. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

Ditto that.

17. gerard

gerard Valued Member

Hwardo,

You are a confused Daoist.

Shadow.

You really puzzle me. Qi is not a confluence of nothing, it's something that exists itself. It's not magic, it's just vital energy.

Vital:

1. Latin vita = life.

2. Manifesting or characteristic of life; "a vital, living organism"; "vital signs"

18. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Gerard is right, it is vital energy.

the thing about IMA is it puts you in touch with different types of energy (feelings of it). Or what could be described as differing manifestations of vital essence. Whilst it may all be vital energy (qi) it is the transforming and manifestations which I think sh'dh nicely described it as a confluence. Which means the flowing together of 2 or more streams.
    Yi, jing, yang enrgy from the heavens yin energy of the Earth etc.etc.

Derren Brown for example uses 'mind control' techniques.The way we experience qi - It's all about the sensory. That is how humans feel qi and its various manifestations. I say yes(its all qi in DB's case he uses his 'yi'- his subjects do say they 'feel' energy, warmth w/e. The rest is just arguing over terms. Derren Brown may well use other terms. I think its all the same. Certainly thinking about qi in terms of martial training most definately will enhance, so long as you beleive it - it will be real ;) How can enhancing & using your vital essence not be?

To me qi is about feeling. Love is a feeling, it can be a very powerful force to some. So can qi.
    Words can convey feeling. How much communication is in words? *55% is body. Ima internally trains you body and your connection to your mind(yi) hmm. I can see the cossovers to'mind control'. We can work on our vital essence in diferrent ways to boost it. We all have a it, and we all use it in different ways. It can be used for better health/vitality. It can be felt, and the training brings awareness of all this IMHO. So ye to answer the thread qi can do something :) if you let it.
    Qi is life; life is qi. Is that general enough for the rest of you.

*vocal 7%, Vocal tone 38%, non verbal 55%
    Research 1950'S Albert Merhabian.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2005
  19. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

I don't know, Gerard. I work with qi in a practical manner every day, both as an acupuncture student, and as an addiction counselor who uses qigong as a form of therapy. It also serves as a spiritual practice for me, and I have to say, I don't feel confused about it at all. All I hear from you is layer upon layer of esoteric gobbley gook with no real substance behind it. Like so many people who follow a path to spirituality, both eastern and western, you seem to confuse talking about the practice with the practice itself, following some romantic ideal that any Buddhist or Taoist would tell you is far from the thing itself, which is, of course, the practice. As a long time qigong practitioner who practices every day, I have read much of the same literature as you. I could throw quotes from the dao de ching, and B.K. Frantzis, and kung fu movies around all day, but the fact is, your qi is your qi, rather you use mystical terminology for it or not, and I personally find that it tends to be easier to describe by its function than by religious theory.

Over all, Gerard, after seeing you on this forum from time to time, the one consistent thing you seem to offer is how other people are doing their practice incorrectly. Please share your practice with us, using practical terms, instead of attempting to appear wise. I think it would help people instead of merely turning us off to whatever you have to say.

20. Shadowdh

Shadowdh Seeker of Knowledge

I think Hwardo is spot on... it makes alot more sense than labelling Qi as star stuff...

Also you may have misunderstood my bit... I didnt say its nothing I said its a confluence of things...