What are your strategies for grip-fighting?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by callsignfuzzy, Sep 17, 2012.

1. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I'm talking about when your opponent moves in toward you. When you move in toward your opponent, even if he may have 100% on his back leg, you may still run into his punch or kick.

Empty stance - 0% weight on front leg. 100% weight on back leg.
    Santi stance (3-7 stance) - 30% weight on front leg. 70% weight on back leg.
    4-6 stance - 40% weight on front leg. 60% weight on back leg.
    Horse stance - 50% weight on front leg. 50% weight on back leg.
    Bow arrow stance - 70% weight on front leg. 30% weight on back leg.
    Monkey stance - 90% weight on front leg. 10% weight on back leg.
    Golden rooster stance - 100% weight on front leg. 0% weight on back leg.

If your opponent is always in empty stance with 0% weight on his front leg, he can't reach you and generate enough power to hurt you.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  2. Pompeythegreat

Pompeythegreat Im Very White Aparently

Thanks for the information.

I see The Issue of my opponent being able to do the exact same thing to me with that grip though...

3. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

That's why the sleeve hold is not as good as the arm wrap. When you hold on your opponent's elbow with your hand, control his wrist with your arm pit, his arm will have less freedom.

[​IMG]

4. Pompeythegreat

Pompeythegreat Im Very White Aparently

oho. that looks like fun. i may try that next judo if i can :)

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Try standing on one leg and then hitting a bag, its hard to put bodyweight into it if theirs no lateral weight transfer or hip twist.

6. Dead_pool

You tend to use unusual terminology and metaphor.
    I do like the change of pace though.

7. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Try punching somebody who is grabbing you around the waist or legs...

Seems to work ok.

8. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

The point made originally assumes a certain distance between 2 people, and it isn't the one you describe here.

9. gapjumper

I thought I had merely said that needing to transfer "30%" of your weight to your front foot was not necessarily required to be able to punch.

No?

And to this:

Wow! I must really be misunderstanding your posts. Sorry. I'll leave you to it...

10. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

You're being told that this is the case given a certain scenario ie. it depends on assuming a certain distance is involved. From the two examples it seems fairly clear that touching or contact isn't the starting point or scenario YKW was alluding to in either of them. Striking arts eg. boxing, are not taught with the assumption that you start from the clinch.

So the following point you made is completly irrelivent to YKW intended message;

But of course you're focused on hearing only what you want to hear right ?
    The point made is a valid one, it's really no skin off anyones nose if you disregard it ot don't care for it. But before that, you at least owe it to somebody offering you information to accept it the way it was intended to be understood.

And sure you can think of scenarios where it doesn't fit. How about when you've jumped on someones back and are slapping their cheeks for all your worth. Or how about when you're lying on the floor with someone in your guard eh?

How could you forget them!

11. gapjumper

Actually it is you who is misunderstanding.

"Try punching somebody who is grabbing you around the waist or legs...

Seems to work ok." Was in reply to Fusen.

I had NO intention to deliberately misunderstand or disregard anything.

You seem touchy.Why so angry?

12. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Your reply to Fusen was based on his reply to your message that I'm quoting below. It was obvious from this that you didn't understand the scenario. Which is why I tried to explain that your reply to Fusen was missing the original point made by YKW. It has nothing to do with being at those (clinch) distances! So it is irrelivent.

Sheesh...:bang:

Your ignorance and your subsequent stupid attitude about this is irritating as hell, that's for sure.

It's initially not about generating the power it's about the reach and distance.:rolleyes:
    Given a certain distance the momentum of weight shifts is involved in power generation anyway.

13. gapjumper

Oh dear...

14. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

but It was oh so simple. If we start from a distance you can't reach me to punch me without going into your leading leg. unless of course you want to hop toward me on your back leg.

That is stated simply enough even for a you to understand.

15. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Dial it down guys.

The Bear.

16. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

I apologise if I was irritated and showed my displeasure..

It seemed that it was asked and answered already, so his other comments and reasoning came across as questionable in that light.

It looked as though gapjumper was ignoring the point being made about distance - the above is from post #16.

Then again from post # 21

Power generation is not really the first consideration here though of course horizontal weight shifting contributes to certain techniques. Anyone closing distance to punch will tend to move forward into their leading leg which serves both purposes: 1. close the distance to reach 2. aids in power generation.

Does that serve every technique or situation? Well of course not, but it was never intended to be such a description.

For example if my technique is an uppercut I really have no need to use momentum from horizontal weight shift to contribute to the power generation. But the success of the technique depends on being thrown at the correct distance. You can generate the power off either the front or the rear, it wouldn't matter.

Any step toward you, to close distance, regardless of the technique. Must involve some weight going into the forward leg. It seemed that this central point made by YKW was being willfully ignored as were his subsequent clarifications; just to make irrelivent points? It smacked of point scoring and little else.

I would also further note that his answer to Fusen also missed the caveat made by fusen in his post; that to get the body weight and it's momentum behind a horizontal strike is difficult on one leg. that is NOT to say you can't generate any power from one leg in any direction.

Power comes from muscle after all.

It's just not cool to act this way when someone is trying to offer sincere advice as best they can.

Ok, I'm done.

17. gapjumper

Posts 1 and 2 however were about starting from a "grip", kumi uchi or somesuch.

That seemed to get ignored though...

18. Dead_pool

Try it, its leads to Arm punching if theres no body weight motion, and if theyve got a hold of you most of that weight should be sprawling on them to stop the takedown.

19. gapjumper

Not always.

20. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

You sure ?

Without employing muscle you can't move any part of your body at all, so I'm not sure how you can generate any power without it first coming from using your muscles appropriately. Hence: power comes from muscle.

Care to explain where else power comes from, if not initially generated and instigated by employing muscles?