What are some of your favorite training drills, methods, scenarios?

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by izumizu, Oct 23, 2010.

1. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

Please feel free to introduce some of your favorites. One of my favorites is working in groups of three, but not in the futari/nijin scenarios in which the arms of nage are grabbed by two attackers.

It involves working in groups of three, and for here on MAP, lets say that the attack is a punch to the mid section (munetsuki) with a kotegaeshi involving a tenkan. (This is a bit confusing, but if you work it out and if I have explained it correctly it should make sense...let me know if I have mixed up the order and / or rotation).

In groups of three there is one nage and two uke. And the positions rotate according to who is attacking and / or getting up from being thrown.

Person B attacks person A with munetsuki on the right side. Person A does kotegaeshi. Then person C attacks on the left side munetsuki person A, who in turn does kotegaeshi on the left side.

Then person A attacks person C with munetsuki on the right side, and person C does kotegaeshi. Person B then attacks on the left side person C, and person C does kotegaeshi.

Person C attacks person B on the right side with munetsuki, person B does kotegaeshi. Person A then attacks person B on the left side with munetsuki, and person B does kotegaeshi.

THEN person C attack person A with munetsuki on the right side, person A does kotegaeshi, followed by an attack from person B on the left side munetsuki to person A who does kotegaeshi.

should look something like this:

B-->A (right side attack)
    C-->A (left side attack)

A-->C (right side attack)
    B-->C (left side attack)

C-->B (right side attack)
    A-->B (left side attack)

Next:

C-->A (right side attack)
    B-->A (left side attack)

A-->C (right side attack)
    B-->C (left side attack)

C-->B (right side attack)
    A-->B (left side attack)

Next:

A-->B (right side attack)
    C-->B (left side attack)

B-->C (right side attack)
    A-->C (left side attack)

C-->A (right side attack)
    B-->A (left side attack)

and so on (next cycle A-->B (right side attack)...C-->B (left side attack)...

Several rounds are needed to ensure there is an almost even exchange between right and left sides of uke.

Hopefully I have explained this correctly, and everyone according to my explination gets a turn as uke and nage, and everyone gets a several turns (depending on the number of rounds) on their right or left sides for a few rounds, or many continuous rounds.

The beauty of this drill is that all sides are practiced in round robin form, and it forces nage to be ready for the next attacker. Kind of a slowed down jiuwaza / multiple attacker scenario, if you will. Additionally, since nage is having to focus, it takes time away from their ability to think about and analyze their movements after each application of a technique (which in my opinion the constant analyzing is a hinderence to progression and should be done not on the mats, but once one has arrived at their home).

Also, it forces the ukes to be aware of which side they are attacking with, and in most instances also compels uke to give a more commited attack, and with a bit of training a more realistic and spontaneous attack.

This can be done with any attack / technique, or can be mixed up so that one attack is different form the other attack, and equally nage can be apply the same or a different technique depending upon the attack. You can even introduce uke with a weapon, or both uke with a weapon.

Hope this makes sense as a training drill. Would love to hear some other favorite training drills, methods, scenarios and possibly incorporate those into my own training / teaching as well.

Edited as I forgot a step...

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  2. FirstAction

FirstAction Student of Life

As a good xtraining I like to do an obstacle course type run. You dont need a purpose built obstacle course. Just go for a trail run and along the way do rolls, jump logs, scale fences etc.

It is great for fine tuning some of your non combat skills and if you incorporate some sprints you get quite a good workout.

3. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

--
    Oh, yea, I'm all for O courses! Sounds awesome, and with miles included is a great way to train.

Thanks for the post, FirstAction!

4. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

--
    BTW, if you include either brick walls, or cynder block walls, you can practice your balance for a bit atop the walls forward and backward. Walking / Jogging...And if you're feeling especially skilled a forward or backward roll on the walls will tell you just how smooth and balanced your rolls are. (I've done the forward rolls on a brick wall...about 3 or 4 inches wide...havn't ever done the backward roll). Also, at the completion of the forward roll, I'm sitting upright on my butt, with my legs straddling either side of the wall.

5. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

Sorry, editing agian...hard to describe in words, give me a second/ There, I think I have it now??? Soz for the confusion...:bang: hope that straighten things out. Had to break out the flash cards. K, think I got it now, for those of you trying to work out the round robin style, I apologize for not having more organized as I tried to convey it in words...sorry, no pictures/videos of this training. If I made any mistakes, let me know. Should be multiple rounds with uke/nages changing in rounds, with subsequent rounds nage is goes twice in a round (left and right changing so that in each round uke will attack nage once on left side, and then attack that nage a turn later on right side)....WHEW, and thank you for those working this out and trying to picture it. Only took me 46 minutes to get it verbally explained.

I'll run the drill in practice again in about 6 hours just to be sure I have it explained in the correct order (if I teach today, that is).