Western culture armor and swords

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by BGile, Mar 12, 2007.

1. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Thought I would start this since it is going to come up and should in my opinion. When looking at the fights systems of the world you have to go way back and look at the time in the Movie of 300.

Spartans and their Martial Arts is pretty awsome. 500 BC guys.

http://www.hellenic-art.com/armour/

Gary

2. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Have you got a point or a questions?

The Bear.

3. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Well you are correct in that I was not making myself clear other then the fact that the western culture and especially the Greco and then the Macedonin conquests. The change and conquests of Persian and then into the Indian culture (cause and effect). Remember the Kosho Ryu mentality, that it came from India ;)

http://www.skski.net/

Much of the true warrior spirit has come from this. When we all want to clamor and talk about Martial Arts as in Military might (absorbing cultures and putting a stamp on them). This is one of the all time biggies and continued right into China and then the Islands. That was what I was leading up to :)

Gary

4. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

BGile,
    I think I know what you are getting at, though I'm afraid, I am having difficulty following your dialect.
    Yes I agree Spartan military methods have inspired many cultures. Through the Macedonians professional armies are probably the closest ancient military structure that resembles the modern system. The Romans (especially post marian reforms) took the best of the spartan ideals and merged them with the macedonian professional army idea to produce the main source of western military structures. I think it would be stretching it abit to say that the macedonians inspired the far east military. The Chinese already by this period had developed complex military structures of their own.

The Bear.

5. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Clicked on the link got no further than "no body contact at the higher levels."
    Enough for me. :bang:

koyo

6. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

You must click on the history and other items to fully understand.

The higher levels are conversation and awareness and avoidence and evasion and not having to stand there and throw punchs or block. But that is also taught.

In our schools (public and private school system ie. educational) today the body contact is not allowed at all it does not matter who threw the first one it is the fact that you were unable to control your temper or the bully hit you and you hit back.
    It is a different world than what you and I grew up in. I believe that is what might throw you off is the wording is a bit like :confused: .

Last edited: Mar 14, 2007
  7. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

True about the Chinese and where the military complex came from...I am also looking at the steel and where it came from or the armor. Those things have gone around the globe many times prior to what we might think, if you read some of the various writings that would lead you to believe that or not.

It seems to be what one wants to believe, is what one reads IMHO...So I started this thread, for others to say something also or not.

We tout the military genuis of Sun Tzu but is it really something that was that unique or is it now in vogue because of the times? Or is it from other countries that were also here, long ago and faraway?

Nile and Tigris area are known locations that were very well regulated by Armies and continue to be so even in todays world.

Cradle of civilization means something to one and different to others. Which was here first the chicken or the egg? The egg of course. :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tigris

8. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

BGile,
    While the topics you are alluding too are very interesting could you please spend alittle more time constructing your arguement. It is jumping all over the place and I am having real difficulty following it. This is not intented to be rude but I am really struggling here. Could you re-phrase your arguement.

The (confused) Bear

9. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

I know I am like that, sorry :) been that way forever that I can recall :D :D

It is probably a form of dyslexia and trying to put to many points into the thread (post) rather than just mentioning one, I mention more and not half of what, I want to say to you. If I could talk into the computer it would be even more stuff :D

So what specific point do we want to talk about, I feel you truly want to communicate. Me too :)

I will resort to the old way of writing when I came to the boards and have tried to change. Commas have a way of being placed or not and a period is a not, some times :eek:

Writing is not my forte, but I try... :cool:

Regards :)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2007