West Highland Warriors

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by Louie, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

Took time out from a weekend camping trip in Argyll to photograph some of the West Highland Graveslabs at Kilberry Castle and Kilmartin Church....

[​IMG]
    Kilmartin

The largest carved sword was amongst the Kilmartin group, a West Highland 'half-lang' type, measuring from point to pommel approx. 4ft 9in long with the grip being 'single-handed' sword size.

[​IMG]

Detail in one of the Kilmartin sword pommels...

[​IMG]

A Kilberry sword pommel

[​IMG]

Kilberry sword and helm...

[​IMG]

Louie

2. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Been there, It's a lovely part of Scotland. Though can be damn cold in the valleys first thing in the morning. The stones are very interesting went this B.C. (Before Cormac) and had a good look around.

The Bear.

3. Louie

Yes... Was woken up on Saturday morning with the thoughts 'body core temp' and 'hypothermia' - looked at the time and it was only 1.50am :eek:
    Saturday night I ended up in survival training mode and slept in the car - Tired, bedraggled and smelling like a campfire, I was in no condition to train on Sunday. My son enjoyed the trip though!

Used the opportunity to gather info for my planned Armour Class sword. Maybe a replica of the 4ft 9in 'half-lang' (with hand-and-a-half handle) - can't decide on tea cosy or clamshell though...:)

Louie

4. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

With George still out of commission for freeplay due to the attentions of the Bear family, it was a very quiet week so we worked closely with Phil and he is coming on a storm.

Ah was wondering if you had ordered it yet. Trying to decide myself on next sword to order. Can't decide between an arming sword or a mortuary hilt. Can't afford the basket hilt I would like.

The Bear.

5. RAbid Hamster

RAbid Hamster Herr Trubelmacher

george is fed up not doing anything (gonna lose it anyway) so will be back to normal belligerence (injury be d@mned) on sunday.
    Not sure about the 4'9" half lang ... thats a full blown two hander which requires a different handling style than a b'stard!
    also I doubt AC could manage a 4' blade without the problems inherent with that blade size with a safe edge/point ... it would weigh a TONNE and be almost unwieldable!
    Will hit the oakeshott books and see if I can find more re dimentions but the single handed grip on the slab says to me a little bit of creative license was used there.

6. RAbid Hamster

RAbid Hamster Herr Trubelmacher

Phil is coming on well - he's getting into it. You should hear him giggle when he's sparring :D and his eyes get big when he pulls off a move :eek:. Sometimes this swordy thing is too much about winning/study and it takes a newbie to remind you why we do this! ITS FUN!

Arming Sword = I.33
    Mortury Hilt = backsword/silver - stick would be good starting point
    willing to have a go at both or either. Have books on both. DDS have good I.33 classes although we're on our own somewhat with silver although there will be classes in both at Autumn Exchange.
    Also DDS are about to kick off a 7 week wednesday class in I.33 in june.

7. Louie

:)Don't worry George... only jokin'!

Hoping to get AC to make one made that's slightly longer than my 'practical' and the other AC swords in the class.
    I was thinking 'creative license' when I saw the 'halflang-type', though it would be so easy for the sculptor to trace around an existing sword on the slab before carving it out. :confused:
    Some of the carved figures (who are approx 6ft incl helmet) it looks like many of their swords would have come up to the wearer's sternum.

Hoping to have a go at I.33 and backsword/stick (and have books too)
    Louie

8. Louie

Video clip...

[ame="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ghfcpkKFvqU"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ghfcpkKFvqU[/ame]

Louie

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008