Weight and aikido

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Aldrin, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Aldrin

Aldrin New Member

Well now that I'm finally all settled in at college I've been looking around for local aikido schools to get back into MA, and finally found one within walking distance. I'm going to arrange to sit in on one of there classes this week, but I was wondering in general if heavy set people will have great difficulty starting out (Not as in I'm afraid to be drenched with sweat and feel the burn, but as in would I be able to actually perform basic level techniques without great risk of injuring myself or others?)

I'm 225 pounds at 6 foot zero, and used to practice TKD when I was younger at a similar BMI (Well, maybe about 27 BMI when actively involved as opposed to about 32 now.) I have a good stable diet now that i enjoy comprised of almost entirely vegetables /fruits and a few lean meats and oats and am steadily losing weight (from about 232 in January.) The five mile round trip to the dojo four days a week alone would probably accelerate the weight loss a good deal and in a month I'm confident I could be down to 205.

So any opinions? Should I hike it out there every day and come right back and apply to join in a month when I'm in better shape, or should I sign up now and head right into the fray?

2. I know of a number of excellent Aikidoka who would be of a similar height/weight as yourself.

It sounds like you know what you want to achieve in terms of your weight.

Personally, I would say - start now. If anything it may help you lose weight. By the time you reach your target weight you will be surprised just how much of the basics you will have learned - even if it is just etiquette, it will all come in useful to your future training.

Good luck!

:)

3. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

Can't see why you would have any problems

4. SonOfGrimmy

SonOfGrimmy Valued Member

You can always find a reason not to do something, to take the easy way out.

Start now and suffer.

5. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

Go ahead and give it a shot. I don't see any reason why your mass and volume should be an issue.