Weapons

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Blast, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Blast

Blast Valued Member

I read on the Dutch wikipedia page something about aikido that bothers me now...
    The use of weapons is often used to teach the practitioner principles. The user obviously does not learn how to fight with a sword, stick or a knife.

This makes me wonder...
    We don't learn how to fight with the tanto, that's true but, we learn jo and bokken suburi's, we put it into use in kata's etc. The main thing is learning the principles in my dojo. But do you guys agree with that fact on the wiki page?

2. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

The EMPHASIS is on the principles of the weapons so that they may be used in empty hand techniques.

How can you study the principles and not learn how to use the weapon? All of the kata have kaeshe waza (alternate techniques) and ken dori (disarming).

Again it sounds like a comment by someone of little experience.

I have crosstrained with kendo shihan (masters) and of course their swordwork is more effective however my timing,decisiveness and accuracy have all benefited from this.

regards koyo

application of sen no sen

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  3. Blast

Blast Valued Member

I read this 4 years ago when I started aikido. When I read it now, it also didn't make too much sense to me, but I thought, maybe I'm wrong, I only do aikido for 4 years now, let's ask some more experienced people, and know it is confirmed.

4. dentoiwamaryu

dentoiwamaryu Valued Member

Remember this is a wikipedia site, which means its open source so anyone can add or change what it says. You could even ay that aikido weapons are made from jam and it would be on there for people to wonder about. MOST AIKIDOKA HAVE NO IDEA OF WHAT REAL TRADITONAL AIKIDO RIAI IS. Ive met very fe aikidoka that know anything about aikido and its weapons history.

5. Blast

Blast Valued Member

Well, I'll try to change it right now :p