Weapons?

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Tintin, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Tintin

Tintin Cats: All your base...

Nice and simple this one -

"What are your views on weapons training in Aikido"

In my style (Shodokan - or 'tomiki' for those that still want to use that name), weapons training is minimal, not really appearing in the syllabus until 3rd dan, when there are 26 techiques using various combinations of bokken / jo / unarmed. I personally like weapons work, and when done right they can look stunning for an observer.
    From talking and training with instructors in other styles, I realise that weapons take on a far more integral role in, say, Iwama Ryu.

A nice quote I read somewhere went along the lines of:
    "We may all climb the mountain along a different path, but when we reach the summit we all look upon the same moon" Or something like that anyway!

So there it is. Weapons in Aikido - Vital element or teaching aid?

2. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Both, training with weapons can help improve your empty hand work, and its always good knowing how to use something that gives you a bit of distance.

3. Silver_no2

Silver_no2 Avenging Angel

I have to admit that I would like to do a bit more weapons training in class. I think that it helps with your basic hand and foot movements as well as your distances.

Besides, it always makes me laugh when you get strange looks for carrying weapons on the bus!!

4. Freeform

Or in the pub after training.

5. waya

waya Valued Member

I think weapons training is an important part of any art. Definitely something I wouldn't neglect if given a choice.

Rob

6. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I'd say weapons training in Aikido is a fundemental element in understanding the roots of your art.

Anyone familiar with Chiba Sensei's Jo work?

7. Kendo_Cougar

Kendo_Cougar New Member

I dont think Aikido use Weapons...

8. Sc0tsg1t

Sc0tsg1t New Member

No weapons in Aikido?

Bless you fella,

most of the techniques derive from weapons work. Either with a weapon or countering an assailant the techniques learned are bound together. I've found some clubs use a lot of weapon work and others virtually none at all. It will depend on instructor usually. I personally love the katana and bokken work but I'm not so hot on the jo (much prefer the eskrima to be honest :rolleyes: )
    so my training tends to reflect that. I do occasionally revert back and attempt some intricate jo work but I'm not that great at it.

I think more aikido clubs should incorporate weapons training at an early stage of the students journey as it aids and complements the empty hand techniques immeasurably.

just my two cents worth

9. Joe karate

Joe karate New Member

From what i know of aikido ( i don't practice it) waopons should be integral. I thought many techniques are based on circular sword movements? So why neglect the root of your art?

10. officer_fujita

officer_fujita New Member

In many (if not all) aikido dojo, weapons training with the bokken/bokuto and/or jo is a part of the curriculum, especially for advanced practitioners.

Although it's a bit unlikely for someone to whip out a bokken in a dark alley to protect themselves, I still think that weapons training should still be included in an aikido dojo's curriculum. It can help improve a practitioner's form and technique, as well as give him more insight about the roots of his martial art.

11. Tintin

Tintin Cats: All your base...

Just like in Kung-Fu (I think) where a lot of movement stem from animal movements, in Aikido, a lot of our movements come from wielding a weapon. The weapon is only an extention of yourself anyway. If you consider a bokken or a jo, there are no extra joints involved, just a bit more leverage/striking distance.

The question you have to ask yourself is why do we take our movements from a weapon to open hand?

12. Sc0tsg1t

Sc0tsg1t New Member

Rhetorical question Tintin?

Just in case I'm reading it wrong chap.

;)

If it isn't then consider that the samurai (or any other practioners) would have been very well versed in weapons combat. In the horror that is full scale battle then you have to consider the environmental effects they would have to contend with; the lay of the land, the elements and the blood on the battlefield. Any of these factors could and would attribute to them losing their weapon. The easiest way to counter this is act as if you still have the weapon and move as such with only slight modification. Less pyschological harm and more chance of the technique working.

Lets face it, the basic cuts in aido refer to strikes on the openings amongst armoured opponents. It makes sense for the empty hand techniques to focus on those self same weaknesses.

(told you I rant :eek: )

13. Freeform

To go off on a complete tangent.......

...... does anybody train with hanbo? I haven't seen any Aikido schools train with this and it is a 'traditional ' weapon.

Why don't we see it much?

Col

p.s I broke Tintins bokken, heeheeheehee! :D

14. GrizzlyAdams

GrizzlyAdams New Member

Weapons are integral to Aikido. you must learn fundemental work with the Sword, and more indepth with the jo.

By all means practise tkaing weapons of people - but dont think you'd ever get it done for real. the taking techniques are more about comitting to the entry ( irimi ) and once inside the usefull range of a weapon - and into atemi range - hey presto.

Morihiro Saito taught weapons more so than Honbu/others.

id get hold of his tapes and speak to his students in the uk.

15. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

A Good weapons background

A good level with one weapon should cross over with almost any weapon, as many of the footwork etc and timing/awareness/defences are the same.

It is in my view to have some weapon training.

Besides it quality fun!

SONSHU

16. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

"To go off on a complete tangent.......

...... does anybody train with hanbo? I haven't seen any Aikido schools train with this and it is a 'traditional ' weapon."

In Ninjutsu, we train with a hanbo quite a lot. That, the knife and chain are the primary weapons we train with.
    Hanbo and jo are my favorite long weapons. So many things lying around that can be used with the same principles applied.

17. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Ex Taijitsu

So I am pretty handy with the hand-bo, Jo and Bo staff.

Knives are a favorite and pretty good with em.. All the Aikido I have done has only been Katana and Jo as these seem the more traditional weapons for em.

Some knife and impact defences but not really attacks!

SONSHU

18. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

re: weapons in aikido

Indeed. To be more specific, weapon instruction teaches you proper movement for empty-hand aikido. All of the empty-hand techniques come from the weapons (the sword mostly).

The beginning is the best place to begin.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2003
  19. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hmmm..... footwork, timing and body movement possibly - but ALL the techniques?

20. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

That's the way I remember it from the John Stevens seminar. For three days we did something with the sword, and then we did the same thing without the sword. It was mind blowing. Maybe there is a basic technique that has no analog in sword fighting, but I can't think of it right now.