Weapon Defence

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by smithter, Dec 5, 2012.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

There, that wasn't so hard now, was it?

Thank you for being honest.

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

No need to be patronising David :)

Mitch

3. David Harrison

Just getting you back for being sarcastic :)

4. David Harrison

Thanking you for being honest was not me patronising you though.

That was genuine.

5. Mitch

No sarcasm at all. We've been in this situation on MAP many times before. :)

Mitch

6. Mitch

No, I didn't read it as such, just the "There, that wasn't so hard now, was it?"

Mitch

7. David Harrison

If this was meant with the best of intentions, I apologise.

8. David Harrison

Good, as intended.

Regardless, I do appreciate straight talking (as much as you think I don't practice it).

Thanks Mitch.

9. Mitch

It was meant as commenting that there is frequently no evidence for the more extreme claims made on MAP, a truth which has been demonstrated on numerous occasions. Any number of people here can confirm that.

A video of you training in that manner would be instructive for all martial artists and specifically for those involved in this thread. I would love to see video of that kind of training as it's something I'm interested in.

That there isn't such a video is, unfortunately, typical of situations we have encountered previously; you could always address that situation :)

Mitch

10. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I'm barely trained with a knife, but if I actually had a sharp blade and attacked anyone I've ever trained with with intent, the likelihood is that they would be hospitalised at least 50% of the time. This does not make for good training.

I will happily go full pace with rubber knives and mostly full pace but with some care when using wooden knives, but if I ever use a live blade in training I would never risk myself or my training partner by advocating full speed and full intent attacks. That's sheer madness.

11. David Harrison

(In reply to Mitch: )

I can appreciate that.

I don't have observers in my class, let alone uploading videos. People either experience it, or they don't get to know what it is.

I understand that will result in suspicion and incredulity in those who have not had similar experiences, but there are some MAP members who do not feel that way.

Sorry, I do appreciate your feelings, but other than meeting face-to-face, I'm not going to do anything to try to address your problem.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  12. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Which is why anybody who has ever trained at a club where live blades have been used can tell of at least one incident where someone got stabbed, slashed or other wise injured because they got careless.

13. David Harrison

Indeed, as do I.

I did already mention that.

14. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Not very "focused" then were they. I'd hate to see those people train with rubber knives. :cry:

15. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Seconded.

16. David Harrison

They didn't do it again. I don't get your point.

I feel I am being somewhat misrepresented here; I've done a few dangerous things over the years, including a handful with blades, but by and large I have had a safe training experience, and safety is of prime importance in my classes.

17. David Harrison

I know ;)

18. Mitch

Your choice. You could silence all those who don't believe you with minimal effort. You choose not to.

PM me a location where you train, and if I'm welcome and ever nearby I'll pop in. I'm likely to be in Bristol in April so might get time to drop in. I'd love to see you do the live blade training for myself.

Mitch

19. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Ill rephrase, why use live blades for unscripted work?

20. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

You're not being misrepresented. You've refused to back up your claims as you always do. So there's nothing to misrepresent.

As for my point? You claim there's nothing like training with a live blade to focus the mind. And yet people get hurt. Not quite so focused then?

It's not the weapon that focuses the mind. It's the attitude to training.