Watched some fights at Lumpini last night

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Ghost Frog, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Hi all,

We are in Bangkok for a few days and went to watch some fights at Lumpini stadium last night. It was awesome and the atmosphere was amazing. Even when you're not watching the fighters, all the people betting in the stands is really entertaining.

Its a great night out and I'd recommend it to anyone who gets a chance to go.

Plus thailand is fantastic and the people are great.
    :)

2. LiaoRouxin

LiaoRouxin Valued Member

How'd you like the music? ;) That's one of my favorite parts of fight night, seeing two fighters fall a little bit in time with the background music.

3. TomB

TomB Train Hard, Fight Easy

awesome awesome, cant wait

4. DigitalMafia

DigitalMafia Valued Member

Lumpini stadium is great!!
    Last time I was at Lumpini stadium there was a Muay Thai shop outside (built into the stadium) - I loaded up as the prices were great. I took two huge duffle bags of pads, gloves, custom shorts ect. It should still be there and its fun to check out.

DM.

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Yeah Lumpini is good fun. Ghost Frog - that's a SE Asian classic. Glad you got to check it out. Now imagine yourself being one of the locals working to support his family by fighting in a place like that against opponents like those. :eek:

I was there for the weigh-ins for Kings Birthday Championships fighters a couple days prior to the actual fight. The place itself is actually a total dump... but it's been sweated on and bled on and betted in for so many years it's become magical. :D

As for the shop outside of Lumpini stadium.
    LOL!
    That is the classic farang burn.
    Yeah prices will be cheaper than anywhere in the US but they are the most expensive in Bangkok! Their customers are primarily farangs who haven't found out how to buy directly from the manufacturers in Bangkok.
    Buy there and you're paying markup. The same goes for buying stuff at Raja's outside of Rajadumnern stadium.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2006
  6. Noi

Noi New Member

It's a shame that the fights are at a nearly prohibitive cost for foreigners.... well this foreigner anyways. Still worth at least once, but the price for tickets is frustrating.

I really enjoy Radjadaemnon as a venue.

7. DigitalMafia

DigitalMafia Valued Member

"As for the shop outside of Lumpini stadium.
    LOL!
    That is the classic farang burn.
    Yeah prices will be cheaper than anywhere in the US but they are the most expensive in Bangkok! Their customers are primarily farangs who haven't found out how to buy directly from the manufacturers in Bangkok."

Dunno man- I ordered shorts in bulk from them for next to nothing (I mean sweat shop prices)-perhaps with the tourist boom for Muay Thai things have changed.

8. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

I'm loving Thailand. People are really friendly and good fun. Even the scamsters have a laugh with you. This lad told me the Grand palace was closed when I was on route to it, and I smiled and said "is it reeaaaallly?" and he just collapsed in fits of giggles!!

So far, been up north to Chiang Mai and done some trekking. Just back from Cambodia- Phnom Penh, which is a bit of an eye opener, and Siem Reap, home to the amazing temples of Angkor.

Off down south tomorrow to the islands, and hopefully do a bit of training... :)