Was just pointed out to this article

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by HappyAiki, May 9, 2016.

1. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

If you go to martial arts class, and they say the best way to escape a hold is to bite - go to another class. It might be a good technique in extremis - but if that is the best the instructor could offer then I wouldn't be impressed

2. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

I completely agree.

3. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

The best way to deal with a triangle choke is, as you are falling asleep, tap your opponent and say "whattup BJJ bro." Then they still might take your stuff, but they probably won't stomp your face afterwards.

4. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Then he yells "WAR CACC!!!!!!!!" and proceeds to do unspeakable things to you :D

5. raaeoh

I really can't disagree with you on your points.

A bite is imo a good option in a pinch. They do hurt especially from a 1 yr old.
    Adrenaline for most in my experience is short lived. Unless drug induced. ( I have a bullet wound in my foot that agrees)
    Today every one tries to throw a triangle choke thanks to mma..... everyone is an expert thanks to it.

If I believe my life is in danger and you defeated my gun,knife, stand ip and ground game, my stick,rock, prayers and chi, you can be sure I am biting you. Very hard. Like a zombie if needed. It will be less than a distraction for sure. Unless of course you defeat that as well. Then I will just pee on you from loss of bodily function

6. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

On a side note im always super careful to keep my jaw locked when defending any form of choke or when being crossfaced in anyway... Anyone who experiences those situations regularly enough to have been caught 'slack jawed' will know why.

7. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

There is a difference between "wartime" biting techniques and "peacetime" biting technique.

Wartime technique is an offensive weapon used to kill, maim, or disfigure. There is going to be blood. Some people train these types of attacks so they are not random bites but specific areas such as ripping out the blood vessels in the throat, biting tendons to disable thumbs, etc. To me, the only reason to learn any of this stuff is for awareness and to learn to defend against them. If you have no reason to think you will ever be bit in such a way by a human, you still could consider the possibility of by animals, such as dogs.

Peacetime biting is about the same as pinching. Maybe best done through clothing to avoid breaking the skin. It can work once on a person who is not expecting it to get them to let go of you. Rarely works more than once or even twice on the same person.

Note: If an enemy does have a bite locked on you, the saying is to immediately attack their throat.

8. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

On the plus side people biting you is one of those rare times when eye pokes can actually come in really handy. Had someone sink their teeth into my bicep once and pried him off using my thumb in his eye. If you're going to go dirty don't expect that your sitting target of a head (and the rest of you) is going to be left alone.

9. HappyAiki

HappyAiki Valued Member

You can bring wartime biting all you like. As soon as you are in a choke or an armbar, you have no chance. A broken arm is more effective letting a bite go than a bite is going to make someone drop their armbar.

10. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Glad no serious harm to you. I still have some scars from bites in training. These were not serious bites but just part of training.

One thing about bites, many people think a big bite is worse. A big bite is like a grab. What is worse is the small bites that just use the teeth. Just like a pinch, if you grab a lot of flesh and pinch, it squeezes. However, if you pinch just a very small amount of flesh, it hurts a lot more.

11. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

You got it backwards. Wartime biting is an offensive weapon. The enemy has the superior position on you, but instead of choking you out or trying to put you in an arm bar, they are going to try to kill, maim, or disfigure you with biting.

12. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

If you have scars from biting done in a training session you seriously need to change the place you train.

If someone bit me in class they'd need hospital treatment.

13. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Yeah, it was training with a guy from Krav Maga and honestly, we didn't realize bite marks could leave scars.

14. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Capable of chewing through a steak and don't realise bite marks can leave scars.
    jawdrop.gif

15. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I can choke him to death in a minute, or I can bite him, let him bleed out, risk infection and bad hygiene, but he'll die slightly quicker.

16. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Yes, I admit I was more ignorant than what I am now. The skin was never broken, and I figured the marks would be there but go away over time. The scars are less noticeable after ten years, but if I look hard I can still see what is left of them.

The guy was teaching me wartime biting so over all I just have the scars on my hand, none on my throat.

Biting we do in training otherwise is more like pinching and is through clothes. And the ONLY reason we ever do it is to learn how to bite properly. Never use it is sparring or anything like that. Although a friend of mine in his school would use biting a lot in grappling with his students just for the fun of it. He never wanted them to get too comfortable or cocky. He is the one that taught me to bite through clothing to avoid bleeding.

17. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Plus there is really no good reason not to have a knife

18. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

It's all contextual. Most people would do everything they could these days to avoid blood or any kind of bodily fluid. A security officer I know that works at a hospital happens to be a martial arts instructor and one seminar went through variations of techniques used to avoid bodily fluids. It weird to think how much stuff gets under fingernails and how often we touch ourselves.

Anyway, at some point you start to get older like me and you look at stuff like, would I hold a wild dog this way because they could bite me in a place I don't want to be bit. You start to look at humans this way, what am I giving up to be in this position. When do I give them easy access to something vital.

19. raaeoh

The risk of infection is always there. Consent or not sweat can spread hepatitis if you have open wounds. Yet we only use a band aid and keep at it.

20. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Very true. That's part of what I meant by contextual. Someone working in a hospital is exposed to a high threat environment (HTE). Hand-to-hand training for the staff and security guards in the HTE was modified.

Just like how wartime biting is very specific to the environment or context. One where staying low to the ground is favorable. Think of anyone sitting up or standing as being a target for a sniper or a stray bullet. If you were training arm bars for this environment, you would be training them while on your side (sideways), instead of up and down so that you don't stick your head up. Wartime biting is for low to the ground because it should not require sitting up or standing to be effective. It can be done from the bottom, for example. The enemy's natural response might be to push away and sit up, making them a target for a bullet.

Context is important.