Warriors - History Channel Series

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by Louie, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

Hi all & welcome back to MAP!!

Just finished filming a scene for a new US History Channel series called "Warriors" with American host, Terry Schappert (Ex-Special Forces). In this episode Terry is training as a warrior would in the Scottish army of William Wallace....

[​IMG]

The re-enactors (Clanranald) were dressed in the period kit but I was asked to demonstrate some medieval hand-to hand in modern dress.

[​IMG]

In the excitement I ended up headbutting the host as I threw him (but he took it in his stride) and over-did a stamping technique on my colleague's leg - ooops
    !:eek:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pity I haven't any shots of the shocked film crew.....:rolleyes:

Louie

2. RAbid Hamster

RAbid Hamster Herr Trubelmacher

you are a bad man Louie ... I mean fancy putting a Glasgow Kiss on the poor american presenter ... He'll go back to the states thinking we Scots are all psychos! :D

found this in the Urban Dictionary... made me smile:

Glasgow Kiss: A headbutt. Within Glasgow itself the term 'Gorbals kiss' is often used, referring to the most dangerous area of Glasgow. It is hypothesised that within Gorbals it is known as a Crown Street kiss; and on Crown Street it is called a Number 73 kiss; and at Number 73 it is known as Steve's kiss. Steve, however, calls it whatever the **** he wants to.

Love ain't like the movies
    it blisters and bruises
    and knocks you about with its fists
    It Leaves you a wreckage
    all postaged and packaged
    and sealed with a Glasgow kiss

- Sealed With A Glasgow Kiss, Carter USM.

3. Ran Pleasant

Ran Pleasant Valued Member

Louie

I find your post to be somewhat shameful. You clearly showed a major lack of control and safety while working with the TV crew and your fellow scholars. Moreover, your post actually reads as if bragging about it. I strongly suggest some self-reflection and a lot more training with a focus on safety and control.

4. Louie

Hi Ran
    Your talking to the most overly-controlled safety conscious martial artist in Scotland but yes I'm truly ashamed and have apologised profusely to the Special Forces Host (Terry) and my colleague who rehearsed these particular techniques with me over the previous 3 weeks. :cry:

Unfortunately the film crew wanted us to look as if we were actually fighting and despite all my many precautions I stepped too hard on my colleagues leg (probably because it was on marshy ground) giving him a "dead leg" that lasted for a minute or two - and the large bruising/swelling that gradually appeared overnight. As to the head-butt, well I've always wanted to say I've nutted someone in the special forces.

In the end we ALL had a good laugh about it and the film crew got exactly what they were looking for - The producer has contacted me saying "thanks again for your help. I think we got some great stuff with you, and Terry really enjoyed that segment". - which I think is worth bragging about! :rolleyes:

Cheers!
    Louie

5. RAbid Hamster

"Only in Glasgow do suicide bombers need rescued from the locals by the police."
    and
    "Only in Scotland do american 'special' forces need rescued from college lecturers." :cool:

6. Louie

The weapons scenes in the series were performed by The Clanranald Trust who supply skilled combat teams for major movies such as: Gladiator, Ivanhoe, Braveheart and the latest epic King Arthur.

[​IMG]

Charlie Allan (1st on the left) runs the trust and is best remembered as the big German warrior in the battle scene at the start of Gladiator. During filming 'Warriors' he accidentaly took an axe blow to the elbow which required stitches,(and no it wasn't me weilding the axe). Clanranald Trust's combat team are the most knowledgeable and safest team available for hire today, but despite rehearsals and years of experience, accidents happen!:bang:

Louie

7. RAbid Hamster

we do a martial art ... it involves contact with weapons if you are doing it right ... even though safety is of paramount importance, accidents happen and anyone who whines* about it should go back to LARP with foam swords.

* this does not (obviously) include mickey taking 6 months (or indeed years) later after a memorable battering.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  8. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

No Scholars here Ran, here be fighters. If you knew Louie, you would know your talking complete cobblers.

The Bear.

9. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

When it comes to instructors and injuring students, it all depends on the conditions for the training.

As an Instructor, I've been training semi-full contact, and then it's of course no problem to injure the opponent, and I've been training light-contact/no-contact, and then it's of course a big problem to injure the opponent.

I allways makes sure that me and my students agree on the level of the training, before going into it, and in general, I put great emphasis on building trust in the students, so they trust me, before moving onto more physical/aliveness in the fighting, and we discuss things a lot.

Louie haven't said anything about what he and his companion in the program agreed on on beforehand, so it't impossible for me to say anything sensible about wehter I find his inflicted injuries out of line or not.

10. RAbid Hamster

Stolenbjorn
    Here here, well spoken Bruce!
    No-one can comment without actually having been there.
    HOWEVER
    I dont think you need to know Louie at all to be able to tell that the event was an accident and our topic MOD's post is a post event, everyone ok humourous post to share with us.

11. Louie

Hi Stolenbjorn... Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury :rolleyes:

My colleague, (whose main occupation is an actor who plays a lot of 'hard man' parts), was keen to make a big impression, and stressed I 'go for it' during filming and not to worry about throwing him.
    During training and on the day, my main advice to him was to 'relax' so that I could control his landing but as the camera started rolling he was too busy 'going for it' and I had to step up a gear in order not to get tripped or thrown myself.

There were several other factors;
    • The film crew wanting us to look as if we were actually fighting (other than show individual techniques which we had prepared),
    • We had trained to fight in padded gambesons (which we ended up not wearing in the film so slight adjustments had to be made there and then)
    • And then there's the uneven, spongy forest floor

Having watched several episodes of the new martial art series 'Fight Quest' and 'Last Man Standing', I think my scenes in 'Warriors' might be regarded as being too tame!.

Louie (School of Hard Knocks)

12. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

I am moderately amused by Roberts close attention to personal safety in the club and then stick a camera on him and it's total war. :)
    I just hope there is a requirement for a one legged gangster character in the next month and he'll be quids in.

The Bear.

13. Louie

Yep, here's my colleague just after our filming - rubbing shoulders with the cast and crew - leg throbbing but putting on a brave face:rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He also asked me to take a photo of the bruise to prove how much effort we put into the scene!

Louie

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  14. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

Louie; I hope you didn't get the feeling that I was evaluating you. I was rather trying to make the point that there are several ways to "instruct", and depending on the conditions, it's hard for someone who haven't been there to start judging a given instructors regard for safety, level of control, etc.

We've reacently had a little thread on a certain person alledgedly inability to not injure students on certain occations, and that is a very good example IMO on people discussing instructors perhaps without knowing all the facts.

I think Ran's had a point (injuring students is not cool), but I think it was presented in a little constructive way. IMO, I and Ran have aired the same wiews, just with some difference in diplomacy-level.

Provided that you're not lying to us, Louie:p -It seems that the criteria for the treatment of your "student" makes the accident forgiveable, and I wouldn't mind having you as an instructor :)

Rabid: I agree with you that sharing ones mistakes could be seen as an instructors honesty, nobody can claim that Louie tries to hide his errors :)

-I've done something far more stupid as an instructor, once:
    I was having a class of some 12 beginners, mostly women, aged 16 - 18, and I was going to demonstrate the angle of the diagonal cuts in Fiore (The shallow X). As I was demonstrating, cutting towards a student, I wasn't consentrated enough, and I managed to thit the poor girl just above her eye with a wooden waister, not hard, and it didn't leave a mark, but IMO that was a far worse error than Louies, as I had been advocating safety, respect for eachothers, and consentration not to hit ones partner-especially not in the head, at this level of the training... Me doing exactly the oposite was undermining their safety in me, undermining the safety-aspects I had taught them, and is somthing that still anoys me today, some 3 years later, grml....

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  15. Louie

16. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Yes this seems to be the missed point. You weren't instructing nor were you freeplaying. What you were doing was trying to replicated real fighting as closely as safely possible.

The Bear.