want to hear your opinion on using a punching bag

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by neryo_tkd, Oct 2, 2003.

1. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

there are instructors who include the punching bag in the trainings beside using the pads and doing the rest in the class. but then again there are some instructors who actually dislike using it saying that it isn't good for the technique etc.
    i'd like to hear your opinion, especially from those who are into tkd.
    thanks guys

2. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Anyone who says a punchin bags not good for technique is an idiot. Heavy bags are second to none for increasing power in your punches and teaching correct technique. Hittin the bag heavy teaches you correct alignment of the wrist cos if its not correct you'll sprain something quite regularly.

3. stoppy

stoppy TKD Disciple

I agree with johndoch, its the closest some students come to hitting out at full force ( not everyone competes), and like johndoch says hitting the heavy bag quickly promotes good technique, hurts like hell if you do it wrong ;)

4. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Well strictly for a TKD punch, it doesn't really help the TKD technique (for beginners) just purely because of the dynamics of the bag.

I prefer a kick shield or pads for training students, a heavy punch bag gives far more benefit when working jabs, straights, hooks, body shots etc. Certainly the heavy bag is of great use but it's not my first choice for teaching the techique.

Gimme the heavy bag for building power in the punches, pads and shields for technique :D

5. stoppy

stoppy TKD Disciple

Bags are not restricted to punches Tosh, we use a plethera of focus targets ranging from paddle pads up to the free standing bags it all helps round off the technique in different situations

6. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Errr yes I know, I'm not saying punch bags are bad or are only for punches! :D

I was highlighting one area where they are not the best tool for beginners. The point I was saying is the punch pag is perhaps not the best starting place for learning the technique. Of course students should (and do) graduate to the bag once the principle is down.

I have all sorts of weird and wonderful contraptions in my club (as I'm sure you do) and they all have their place.

Incidentely, I have to say that free standing bags are indeed "the answer" for clubs with no overheads :D

7. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

We use the heavy bag

I like what Stoppy and JohnDoch said as well as some of the other posters. We use a hanging bag often for power kicks... especially jump turning back kicks and spin kicks. The free standing one is good as well (reacts differenly from the hanging). We also work hand techniques on the heavy bags.

8. stoppy

stoppy TKD Disciple

Yeah we have 5 standing bags .. sand based fillers . The black belts have competitions who can knock them over without missing, kind iv like the zippo lighter test.

Stike it 10 times sort of thing .. Not as tough as they state though we've split 2 of them (plastick shaft that is)

9. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Tosh "Well strictly for a TKD punch, it doesn't really help the TKD technique (for beginners) just purely because of the dynamics of the bag."

I'am curious as to what a TKD punch is? How is this different from a normal punch?

cheers in advance

10. flyingblackbelt

flyingblackbelt New Member

i personally enjoy using the hanging bags as our instructor would get creative with them. Beyond the normal techniques he would actually have the bag swinging for us to practice kicks, which was always great practice for targets, of course we didnt have a heavy bag for a while because we kept breaking it, but we use Wavemasters very often, theyre still good, but theyre not the same as a hanging bag.

11. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Its great, teaches form, gives experience of hitting something solid, and helps with stamina...

12. stoppy

stoppy TKD Disciple

tkd punches (traditional) are more linear in form, and so yes id agree with tosh that they are not best suited to being practised on punch bags.

13. johndoch

johndoch upurs

I dont understand what you mean by a linear punch. Is it a punch that shoots out in line with the shoulder and not towards the centreline like a normal jab cross?

14. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Heavy bag makes for an excellent CV workout and allows students to 'cut loose'.

I'd say that the jab/hook pads should be used first though to develop good technique.

Col

15. stoppy

stoppy TKD Disciple

TKD punches in the traditional (forms sense) produce imense energy into a very small target area. The are used in destruction demonstrations and. If ever called on in real world senarios can be deadly (heres the scr
    eams, all martial arts punches/ boxing punches can be deadly) but the follow through against heavy obstacles like hanging bags filled with sand, can cause cartlidge damage and even bone fatigue and fracture, due to the nature of the technique, its very different to a standing jab or hook, as the whole body is involved in its delivery.

Sorry you'd have to see it to know, RYU punches are delivered in the same way.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2003
  16. johndoch

johndoch upurs

hmmm, Iam still in the dark here. Nobody punches harder than boxers, I dont care what anyone says and heavy bags dont hinder their training or cause excessive injury . I guess I need a better technical description of the technique to understand the TKD punch. Is it similiar to Karates punching ie hands at hips and all that stuff.

17. stoppy

stoppy TKD Disciple

To produce a correct mid section pucnch, you would not be wearing any bad gloves. Is that easier for you ?

And yes it comes from the hip.

18. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

John

The TKD punch is virtually identical to the standard Shotokan karate punch, whether you're talking lead hand or rear hand. Which is what you would expect seeing as Taekwondo hand techniques and stances developed directly from Shotokan. Power is generated by turning the hips, and in the case of stepping forwards, driving the bodyweight forwards. The only thing different that I'm aware of is that in TKD the hips rise and fall as you step through, and so add some descending bodyweight to the punch.

Stoppy, what is a RYU punch?

I have to say I'm sceptical about the idea of the TKD straight punch being that much more powerful than, say, a boxer's punch. I actually think that the standard karate punch (and by implication the TKD) is more about looking powerful than actually being powerful. I've trained punches of various types on a heavy bag, both karate style and boxing style, as well as other variations. The standard karate style seems far from being the most powerful.

Controversially:)

Mike

19. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Cheers Mike.

Thats cleared things up for me :)

20. flyingblackbelt

flyingblackbelt New Member

Its kind of funny because my instructor knows ivander holyfield, and since hes met him hes been trying to incorporate more boxing style into our punchs, and ive gotta say, ive seen the punches in our school getting more and more powerfull.