Wanderlei Silva vs. Chuck Liddell

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by Sgt_Major, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Just watched this fight too :D

[EXPAND="spoiler"]what a beating they both took. Very impressed by both fighters, although I thought Chuck was a little less aggressive than normal. Best fighter won, but kudos to both fighters.[/EXPAND]

2. mkiv

mkiv Valued Member

i wasnt too pleased with chuck trying to wait out the clock but it was a great fight non the less.

3. Sgt_Major

I dont think silva had any chance at that stage. Chuck let him off the cage wall a few times which annoyed me more.

4. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

chuck wait out.....poor for the fan but the right thing to do for the fighter.

look at the pros v cons

1.you get to win, the ice mans back yada, yada yada.
    2.you dont really hurt your market chances cause you are already a proven fighter at the top.
    3. them punches hurt.....dot want to lose buy a flash knock out...its not like wanderlay cant hit.

cons
    you dont satisfy a few fans who live to see carnage

personally i would have engaged in operation shut down a lot earlier than chuck

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I really wished Wandy had jumped on Chuck when he knocked him on his ass.
    I think he was just happy to get a breather from being hit though.

6. Sgt_Major

mai tai - I see what your saying, and in a way I agree with you. But this wasnt a title fight, so I figured there wasnt as much at stake in fighting to the last.

Probably the best move for chuck, but still disappointing to watch

7. Satsui_No_Hadou

Satsui_No_Hadou Ultra Valued Member

I think this was a really important fight for Chuck, being one of those, "is he back or is he on his way out," kind of fights. It had some good agression in it though and I think it was a good move for Chuck to play it safe to secure the win.

8. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Didn't seem to be the same Wanderlei I loved to watch fight in Pride.

Does anyone know why he changed camps for this fight?

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I think he changed camps a while back. Not just for this fight but one of those regular Brazilian team splits that happens every few months.
    Probably wrong though.

10. Juego Todo

Juego Todo Stay thirsty, my friends.

Yeah, Silva's not quite the way he that he was in Pride FC. Even then, I think he's still a tough fighter who has the ability to end a fight at anytime, so nobody should take him for granted. It just didn't go his way this time. Heck, up until his bout with Hendo, he was still the man to beat.

Chuck played the counter-punching effectively. Wanderlei's punches seemed to fall short (reach disadvantage? I don't remember the stats), so Chuck had all the time in the world to pick his shots.

Oh, well...someone had to lose.

11. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

I would think the main reason is that Shoot Box are based in Brazil and Wandy has now moved to the US. Also I think he feels other teams prob have more octergon expertise.

I haven't seen the fight yet but I'm going to buy the DVD when its available, bit of a classic by all accounts. Personally I don't think this means Wandy isn't a dangerous fighter for any UFC fighter, I think Chuck is simply a very bad style match for him. In the same way that Rampage is to Chuck. Rampage>Chuck>Wandy...two years ago Wandy>Rampage....Love to see a third fight between those two but I doubt if it'll happen now.

12. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Good points... like they say... styles make fights.

13. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

dude just check out the fight on youtube.

by the way did you think chuck was a bad style match up BEFORE you heard chuck won.....if so you have a good mind for matches....

yes bad style match up.

why....

now wandy is a known as a wild swinder, go for the fences guy.....his power and agresstion are his stregth.....but he does tend to leave himself open a bit.

enter chuck.....when watch chuck he never seems to look good or a (least not like a textbook) striker.hands are way wide...and his punching form doesnt look real good. but the guy has an AMAZING GIFT.....he is accurate like a lazer....if a guy gives an opening even for an instant he finds it. and while his shots SEEM to lack hip and shoulder turn....bam everyone seem to fall when he hit them......and boy does he chin hunt, not head hunt, chin hunt

back to wandy ....chucks counterpunching is the exact reason he cant "go nuts like he does with alot of fighters.....he knows chuck can hurt him

on a side note i have always said...."nothing is more dangerous than a fighter who knows you cant hurt him".....the same goes in reverse

now another of wandys skills the clinch....thats nullified to a degree by chucks greco roman....(i would guess since they never really clinched)

14. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I was hoping for more. Fight did not live up to the hype at all. Yes, Lidell finaly comes back from a couple of nasty losses, Silva seemd off, just like most of the other PRIDE guys who have come over to the UFC, and overall I kept waiting for "the moment". Never happened. Good fight, but not what I was expecting at all.

15. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

For the first UFC i've watched I thought it was a fairly good fight. I've watched their past fights though and I thought t wasn't as good as expected either. Silva had a couple of good exchanges but he just looked off. Expected a KO second round.

16. Patrick_baji

Patrick_baji Valued Member

there was one point where silva knocked liddell down, do not see why the hell he didn't follow up. reminded me of herring and nogueira.