Walking the Circle

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Griffin, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

So first i'll say that i adhere to a certain way of walking the circle, based on positioning the spine correctly etc.
    Theres other methods that briskly pace around and most are somewhere inbetween.
    These are not students in progress starting of with just walking and progressing on either this is there final outcome..
    So how do you perceive it should be done and why?

We are carefull to learn other postures correctly to maximise our benefits.
    My opinion is that if we just trot on around the circle we cannot explode into our animal forms with any feeling of grounding like the magnetic feeling of taichi. Also alligning vertibrae attaining C-back does not happen by just walking around normally. When everything comes together Bagua encourages natural chemicals in our brain to release, what scientists might call DMT's, a naturally occuring kind of phsycadelic.
    Interestingly a Daoist on wutang mountain would say that is connection with the Dao....
    If only i knew these things years ago, It took a cancer scare to awaken me from this luxurious slow suicide we call modern living.....Let alone the ongoing sales of more addictive than ever and ridiculously packed with extra poison tobacco. Children are addicted due to their ignorant parents.
    Ooops, back on topic lol, bagua circle walking, how you do it and why.
    :)

2. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Circle walking: Cheng Style Baguazhang

8 Mother Palms
    Single Change Palm
    Double Change Palm

Mainly to explore the different powers of Bagua, and how this power is expressed.

Walk using mud-stepping, and occasionally in the middle basin.

I'm not that experienced in Bagua. Of the Neijia styles Taijiquan is my major practice, Bagua my second and Xingyi my third.

3. DragonPrawn

DragonPrawn Valued Member

8 Palms
    Single and Double change like Dan Bian

We use three different stepping.
    Snake, Mud-stepping/mud-slide
    Crane
    Lion

Love my Bagua though my primary art is Wing Chun.

4. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

OK , I see i have been a little eager to promote my perspective of Bagua now, thankyou for sharing.

As you may have suspected my Bagua experience involves Erle Montaigue's Excellent Bagua Zhang series, i got the 8 Animal forms, I live in Australia not near major city so this was my best option and i recommend them fully.

So looking around you-tube noticed all other Bagua to be what you guys do, single/double palm change and 8 palms, Also after checking B.Frantzis out i decided to investigate the rest of Bagua, Wow, Bagua is great.

Hey have you guys heard about the discoveries involving the I-Ching by the late T.McKenna?. Interesting stuff.
    What about the story of the creation of the I-Ching, also a very interesting story.
    Peace :)

5. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

I just practice :)

Practice the mother palms,

Practice the changes,

Practice (what i know of) the 64 fighting hands

(most importantly) practice the Jibengong & Neigong

6. DragonPrawn

DragonPrawn Valued Member

Master was going to teach us about the I-Ching at one point but he got distracted and continued teaching us how to hurt people. :)

I love my Sifu

7. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

8. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

Hey, Perhaps you guys could lead me to a good demo of the palm changes :)
    Seems i can only find linear forms and linking form demos on you-tube etc.

I have no access to Bagua other than computer due to logistics :(
    For instance, people have bought Instructional dvd's only to find most of it posted later on you-tube etc.
    I have found a good Gao bagua source, but its full speed demo lol.
    Any help much appreciated :)

9. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  10. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I think it's throwing practice.

11. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

Yes thats something that really appeals to me about Bagua, Very flexible.
    The last vid of Connected Palms, i nicknamed him the Surgeon.. Prob one of my top 5 vids of all time :)

12. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c94LTKRSVks"]YouTube- Ba Gua[/ame]

More Powerfull Bagua Zhang from Australia.

13. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f26JAtKZtw"]YouTube- Combat Bagua Throw[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OAN95i7tSc"]YouTube- Visiting Shenwu Academy. Garden Grove, CA. August 2008[/ame]

gotta love tim cartmell.

14. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

"gotta love tim cartmell" Absolutely mate, awesome skills. Both awesome Vids.
    Cheers

15. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtHVPtuwwFU&feature=PlayList&p=4F9D522F73FA1641"]YouTube- Bagua usage[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH2g5ZOgrEo&feature=PlayList&p=B95F282935BB9EB0"]YouTube- Luo De Xiu Snake Throw[/ame]

16. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

Cheers cloudz,
    Have to say though mate, the business before the throw in the first vid i stay waaay away from lol, in the end he did a single palm change tech anyways. I only practise montaigue method, short sharp and completely brutal :). Still i must admit i am a chinese kung fu movie Fan-atic.
    And the second vid, suprised me wasnt expecting that. He jams the guys forearm to his chest too, so if the guy let go of neck he was still getting dumped. Was he doing an app for monkey picks fruit/offers fruit there perhaps?
    Enjoyed them man, cheers :)