Wakefield Shudokan

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Dave Humm, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

I understand there is a seminar for Shudokan aikido in Wakefield at the end of this month. Just to let fellow MAP'rs know that I will be going along to have a neb.

I lived for many years just outside of Wakefield and know the city well. If any MAP'rs are attending let me know, it will be good to put a face to a MAP identity.

Dave

2. timmeh!

timmeh! New Member

Hi Dave,

It's not a seminar, it's the kyu grade championships organised by the BAA, there's a kata and randori competition for everyone under black belt. All the black belts coming are either watching or officiating. Hakamas optional ;)

It's on the 20th November at:
    Lightwaves Leisure Centre
    Marsh Way, Lower York Street
    Wakefield,West Yorkshire. WF1 3LJ

cheers

3. Dave Humm

Damit !! (lol)

So me wearing a whitebelt don't count? :)

I'll be there anyway to have a neb at the "non" hakama wearing aiki community :) :)

Cya then

Dave

4. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

Just when I got all excited...aaargh, screams of anguish.:(

Dave, I hope you mean ShOdokan (Tomiki stuff ??) and not Shudokan (now Nottingham based Yoshinkan derived) as the latter don't do 'randori' or 'kata' (except weapons) only techniques and freestyle (with and without weapons)!

It may not seem like much of a distinction, but as a former Shudokan instructor I get a hara-full of this, lumping us in with the rubber sausage brigade (only kidding!) ;) Hope it goes well in the frozen north, lad.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2004
  5. Dave Humm

Dunno mate.. it's all aikido to me regardless of name :)

6. timmeh!

timmeh! New Member

Rubber sausage is the 'polite' name for it....

And yep, it's mainly Shodokan and Tomiki, but the there were a few other guys there last year in Hakamas - not sure what flavour of Aikido they were.

Hopefully see you there Dave?

PS. Kaiki, it's all south (and warmer) to us..... ;)

7. Dave Humm

Yup, I'll be there.... gimme a start time plse.

Dave

8. timmeh!

timmeh! New Member

It's starting at 10am, finishing around 4pm.

I'll be the bleary eyed one after a 4 hour drive to get there in the morning :rolleyes:

Tim

9. Dave Humm

Okis mate NP.. I'll be there.

I'm guessing that there's no point in me bringing any kit with me?

Dave

10. timmeh!

timmeh! New Member

Excellent, will be good to put a face to the name! I doubt there'll be use for any kit as it's us non blackbelts taking the beatings.... but you never know?!

It looks like were having a seminar in Sheffield with Sensei Scott Allbright on the Sunday though. I've also heard we may be having a drink on the Saturday night too....

Tim

11. timmeh!

timmeh! New Member

Did anyone make it, Dave did you make it?

If so I was the guy getting ragged about by the little French fancy who's half my size - we got Silver in the Randori no kata! (1st and 2nd kyu grade) I couldn't see obviously, but she must have been doing something right as all I got was 'air' and 'mat' all day ;)

12. Dave Humm

Hi mate... unfortunately I cancelled due to having to work a 12 night shift on the Friday.

Good to hear you had fun, keep me up to date on the Sheffield gig cos thats just up the road from me.

Dave

13. DexterTCN

DexterTCN New Member

Congratulations to all involved.

And with that I will take my leave of these forums, you can always find me on msn, AikiWeb and AikidoJournal. Hopefully I will see some of you on those other boards.

Train, train, train.

14. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Whoa, hold on there! Hopefully we'll see you around MAP. You're really leaving? You'll be missed, man.