Visualisation

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Su lin, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I'm just wondering how much ,if at all, any of you use visualisation techniques before fights?

I was was reading about it yesterday and realised that I am starting to do it more and more,especially for the tournament this weekend . The crux of the article (in Martial Arts Illustrated) is that if you visualise the fight enough and think about your techniques and go over and over them that you will fare much better. Obviously practising the techniques is essential but I just wonder how much use it could be?

I need to put something into practice anyway to help me focus and combat the nerves and lack of confidence and focus I seem to be suffering from at the moment.Was even questioning if fighting is for me after taking quite a knock in the ribs last night. I just seem to be unable to stop being such a girl! :woo:

2. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Never stop being a girl :) I've use visualization whenever I practice my katas. I find that it helps me relax by knowing that if I could run the kata in my head from start to finish, then I can physically do it without any hesitations. As far as a fighting/sparring scenario goes, I visualize seeing the opponents body in it's entirety without focusing too much on any one specific target area. Rather I look for multiple potential target areas, and how I'm going to attack those targets with combinations. Does this make any sense? :Angel:

3. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Thanks Pac :D

Yes it does make sense. Before our first demo I ran through my form many many times in my head which really helps. I think its hard though to try and do the same with a fight as you never really know how the other person is going to fight if you have never met them before!

Its much easier to visualise fighting one of the guys I spar against regularly as you know generally their style and that.

4. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Yeh never stop being a girl!

Visualisation is a very good tool, it helps me. Think about things and prepare yourself mentally.

Try to visualise you are on the mat/ring with people around you so it dosent come as such a shock. I always think about the things i drill on the pads and in class...you are doing them for a reason so try and do them when you fight. Visualise doing these things in sparring and try and remember them. Along with repetition, sparring and visualisation it should start to become second nature so you dont have to think too much about what you are doing once you are on the mat/ring...it should just happen as a natural reaction.

Or even better still is shadowboxing. You can actually visualise while at the same time your doing the actions and programming your body/brain ;)

5. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I tend not to visualise anything in particular, more so relax and empty my mind, gentle practise on focus mits, or as he said:

shadow boxing.

I think if you over visualise without doing any physical practise it makes you think too much about the techniques.

If anything have a look at the matted area, see if you can work on some strategies, like moving the opponent into an area where the sun is shining in their eyes, or keep them at the edge of the mat, even something like keep them away from their coach who may be yelling tips to them.

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yeah, I'm a big fan of visualization now. Started thinking about it when I noticed that people in sparring where I trained tended to break their sparring up a lot. Throw a couple of techniques, pause, throw a couple more, pause, and so on. What I think goes on is that we think too much about technique. "He's throwing a round kick." Or "I'm going to throw a hook kick." And whether the technique succeeds or not, we've fulfilled that goal each time. We've thrown or seen thrown a particular technique or set of techniques.

What I did instead was visualize my opponent furiously backpedaling into the corner. Or falling down. No specific techniques. I didn't want to try and predict what would get us to that position. I just wanted the mental image of my opponent being overwhelmed. Then, when we sparred, I just kept going until the reality matched up with that mental image. Far fewer pauses, hesitations, and "analysis paralysis."

I'd try that. Just picture your opponent backpedaling like there's no tomorrow. Then go and make that happen.

Stuart

7. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Cool, that's really good advice.Thanks Stuart, I shall try it out :)

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

No worries Su. I hope it works for you. :)

9. Klassh

Klassh New Member

Actually that is a steller idea. I'm going to have to try that. I visualize my forms all the time, while I am at work, in line, taking a leak. Any time I visualize sparring, I just visualize landing combos and such, helps bolster my confidence if nothing else.

10. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Hi Su-Kung Fu Girl :D

Some tips:

1. Visualise yourself as confident in your fight, you will not be psyched out by your opponent. You deserve your ranking, have put in the time and practice.

2. We all revise for exams/tests, same with MA. Visualise the techniques, combinations you will use, see yourself executing them well,

3. As Stuart says ( :Angel: ) go further with your visualisations to see your opponent retreating and work for that.

We all face challenges as MA'ists, take a few minutes to just close your eyes and visualise your progress in your MA from day 1. :cool:

11. Shiho-Nage

Shiho-Nage I'm okay to go.

Visualization is a very powerful tool.

There was a study a few years back that had three groups of people.

One group shot free throws (basketball) every day for an hour.

One group meditated and visualized themselves shooting free throws every day for an hour but, did not physically practice free throws.

One group did not visualize and did not physically practice free throws.

At the end they found that those that had meditated/visualized only showed the same improvement as those that practiced. The control group showed no improvement.

Always envision yourself smoothly, confidently and successfully completing your technique. Visualize yourself in situations that would cause extreme stress/anxiety and focus on remaining calm and centered. It will benefit you.

12. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

i can see how it can get you in the proper state of mind but you shoul'nt be looking to pull off certain techniques, going into a fight looking to do this or that will harbor your spontaity and may hold you back IMO

13. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

I like to visualize. Before sparring, I usually say to myself "let's go, I'm gonna mess some people up ...". I get amped, then I think about the three leg kicks I'll throw to get them thinking about their legs before I start head hunting. Or I think about getting that triangle in after escaping sidemount etc.

14. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

I see myself flying and ripping off their head. I figure if I shoot for flying, I'll perhaps at least float....always expect more from yourself, and you'll achieve more than if you keep your expectations low, is what I always say.