Vista ICS headaches

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Tatsumaru, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Tatsumaru

Tatsumaru Your new God!

Hi, my dad recently bought a new laptop to replace his dying PC and it is fairly decent spec with vista installed on it. The problem is, he wants to continue using all his old extras like printers, modems, speakers, blah blah. This shouldn't really be a problem as far as i can tell but he's had a lot of trouble just making everything recognise each other and work the way it should. The most recent and annoying (from my perspective) of these problems has come when i tried to share his internet connection for use with my own computer and my xbox.

Basically if i try to turn on ICS either the internet says its shared but doesn't actually, or more commonly it completely prevents the printer from working. For some reason sharing the internet connection triggers some sort of sharing thing in the printer that vista decides shouldn't be happening. The printer then refuses to do anything despite being connected and recognised, so i have to turn off ICS and then everything stops working! The most recent development in this cycle of frustration is that now the sharing tab does not even appear anymore when i try to activate ICS on the internet connection :woo:

If anybody has experienced anything similar to this and has some advice it would be greatly appreciated, otherwise i'm considering buying a new router/modem device that would mean i could bypass this whole ICS nightmare. If i did this is there anything i should be wary of in terms of compatability with xbox 360 or my computer?

P.S. my isp is OneTel, printer is an epson C62, system is vista home premium if any of that is important.

Thanks!

2. Tatsumaru

Tatsumaru Your new God!

well in a fun new twist ICS is now allowing me to switch it on without affecting the printer, my connection to my xbox however can't get access to the internet even though ICS is supposedly switched on. I'm thinking it would be a whole lot easier to just pick up a cheap router/modem, so if anyone has any recommendations on that front they'd be appreciated.

3. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

I suggest a new OS rather than a new router :p

Xbox and Vista? Try the www.xbox.com forums ?

4. Tatsumaru

Tatsumaru Your new God!

yeah, XP certainly didn't give me this much trouble :bang:

thanks for the link rhea