Visiting an Aikido School tonight...

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by hutchback, Aug 24, 2005.

1. hutchback

hutchback New Member

As part of my search for a MA school to train in, I will be watching a class at an Aikido school tonight. www.aikido-nova.org

Anything I should be looking for?

2. basatum

basatum New Member

I just recently did the same thing you are doing. I went around to all of the "reputable" martial arts locations in my area.

I finally chose an Aikido dojo. I wasn't specifically looking for aikido training. I chose the dojo because the instructor was someone whom I knew I could learn from easily. He also convinced me that he was very well qualified. One thing I was worried about was joining a dojo and then discovering later that my sensei earned his belt through some "McDojo" or worse never really earned the title and claimed he did. My instructer is certified by the state I live in, the national group he is affiliated with, and the international group he is affiliated with.

So from my limited experience my advice would be...

1.) Make sure the instructors are qualified
    2.) Be as certain as you can that they are people you can learn from easily
    3.) Make sure it is a good atmosphere. A place with obvious respect and honor.

I looked at the site you posted. You are lucky to be going to a dojo that has an instructor with easily traceable lineage to the founder of Aikido (O'Sensei). That is a rare thing. Nevertheless I still stick by my three suggestions.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2005
  3. hutchback

hutchback New Member

Good suggestions consider them noted.

How long have you been studying there now? and how do you like it?

4. basatum

basatum New Member

Less than a month

I love it so far. It's really something that I think I will enjoy for a long time. It's a good thing too because my sensei does not just automatically promote students based on the time they have been studying. Progress is usually slow but that's not a bad thing. I would actually be worried if I was told that I will be a black belt in a year.

5. scorpiousmac

scorpiousmac Valued Member

Black belt in a year?You'd have every right to be worried.It can take up to ten years to get a black belt in traditional Aikido as oppossed to 3-5 years in the usual striking arts,but is that surprising?We all understand the importance of a hard punch but not many understand the importance of a soft touch.The dojo you are attending looks fine on paper hutchback as long as your sensei checks out I wouldn't worry about looking for anything but flying bodies :D

Have fun :)

6. hutchback

hutchback New Member

Update.

So I watched a class... I don't know if impressed is the right word, but its the first one that comes to mind. The class was about 16-18 people of varied experience levels, all seemed capable, good natured and serious about learning.
    The instructor is a credit to his art. He displayed an excellent working knowledge (at least it appeared that way to this aikido novice). And he used a great balance of visual and verbal instruction. What I think I appreciated most was how involved he stayed with the class, constantly observing and always taking time to correct form.
    There was also a guest instructor who taught the second class, of which I watched a little. I can't remember his name, but he was an older gentleman who has studied aikido for over 30 years. It was fun to watch him move. When he hit the mat it didn't make a sound.
    So I'm left with a few questions, which I emailed the sensei (mostly just the particulars how much, what if, blah blah). I guess once I hear back from him, its up to me to decide if I want to study aikido or not.