Visiting America. Maybe. Help!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Southpaw535, May 12, 2015.

1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I recently got a will payment through and I'm tossing around the idea of using it to visit the States. Wanted to take a trip there for years now and it seems as good a chance as any. But wanting to visit is about as far as I've gotten with this so I have questions for the yanky posters or anyone else who's been there:

1. Where would you recommend going? New York is the obvious place to go but America is a big ol' country where I can name maybe 6 places in it. I had hoped to eventually go for a month or so as a training trip and that was probably going to be to Florida or LA. Still plan to do that so going somewhere other than that might be nice.

I'd be going by myself though and am woefully inadequate at meeting people (I use words like "woefully inadequate" for a start :p) so it would have to be somewhere able to keep me occupied for 5 odd days.

2. Sort of related to that, if you can drop any ideas of experiences I shouldn't miss out on (other than hobo favours and being killed in the back of a truck as a hitchhiker) then that would be grand.

3. Speaking of grand, that's how much I came into through the will and with a few months saving up I'd be pushing somewhere between one and a half to two grand as funds. I appreciate that's a shoe string budget before you hurriedly scroll down to type in a reply telling me to save more :p But I'm both a horrible saver, and hoping to get this in before uni starts for some personal reasons. Then again, I would quite like to go and see a football game for reals so maybe going later in the year wouldn't be a bad thing. Can you tell I've put about 7 minutes thought into this so far?

That tight budget leaves me with other questions: I can get a flight fairly cheaply to NY as an example, and be left with about a thousand pounds left. Which I'm guessing is $1500 roughly? I have zero problem dossing around in cheap motels or hostels but if I went somewhere obvious like NY, could I expect to find some cheap accommodation? To me a fancy tourist place will naturally have more expensive hotels, but in my head I also expect some people to decide to undercut those to steal business. But that may be me being naiive.

Either way keep in mind that I won't be rolling in Benjamins as I believe you folk say.

Well that's all I got so far. Like I say I'm just tossing ideas around at the moment and this may or may not become a thing. Any advice or info people can give is great.

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

first thing you do when you arrive at the airport is look for the most internet-savvy looking person you can find, affect your thickest british accent, and say you're going to get a cheeky nando's.

5 bucks says they run away screaming.

3. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

What activities do you like? Do you want to bar hop or see the sights or shop or what?

New York City is amazing and has almost anything you'd like. It is also very expensive.

The rest of New York (State) is nice, but probably not that exciting.

You might wish to browse (or buy a copy of) Lonely Planet: NYC for good advice on cheap places to stay and things to do.

I like NYC, especially the various museums and communities like China Town, SoHo, etc. Public transpo is a bit confusing but not too bad if you ask for help.

I fear that NYC's hotels and other costs will eat that up very quickly. You may wish to look and see if you can get a cheap air ticket in combination with hotel accommodations or look at a 'package trip' that includes more.

Are you set on NYC? I found that there are cheaper packages to places like Las Vegas or New Orleans that could be very fun.

What are you looking for?

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Come to Sunnyvale in California July 30-Aug 2....I am there and there is my Association Expo! It's invite only but I can squeeze in a MAP buddy!

5. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

A few great places off the top of my head

NYC
    Boston/Cape Cod
    Maine
    Southern Utah
    Jacksonhole, WY
    Yellowstone also in WY (mostly)
    Lake Chelan in Central Washington is absolutely gorgeous.
    Cali off course. Napa Valley, San Fran abd in SoCal LA and San Diego. San Clemente 1 hour north of SD is great if you surf.
    I loved Puerto Rico if non-continental US territories are on your list
    I also love Southbeach Miami though that's not for everyone. Tampa Bay and Clearwater, FL are also awesome but again not everyone likes FL. The Keys are overrated IMO.

Vegas: Personally no interest in it. It's loud, bright, boisterous, it's full of degenerate gamblers, drunks and bachelor(ette) partiers...so unless you like that kind of atmosphere, I'd skip it.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

It depends on what you want to do with the time you've got. Honestly mate, a couple of G's isn't going to get you very far in somewhere like NYC if you're staying there for a few weeks (think London prices). My advice would be Florida for your first trip - stay in one of the less touristy areas to keep costs down, hire a car if you can, and get yourself to Tampa (Busch Gardens), Orlando (Disneyworld!), Miami (hot babez), and Coconut Creek (where American Top Team are based).

I've spent a lot of time in the States so I've become jaded with the more popular cities. LA is horrible. My favourite place is Florida hands down, but Wyoming and Montana are also a lot of fun if you like outdoorsy stuff.

And get yourself to a shooting range!

7. Southpaw535

Now that is a very tempting offer. I need to find out what my work is doing with holidays for specific dates though. But I will definitely keep that in mind mate :)

That was my fear with NYC. I spent a couple days in London the other month on a couple hundred quid and didn't spend much of it, but then I didn't have much to do there. I see me splurging what little I have more over there. ATT is very likely going to be the place I go for a training trip (once I get done arguing with a friend who's joining me over not going to a well named place that has crap training for outsiders) but I can't imagine visiting Florida twice would be a hardship.

I would actually be interested in doing some form of hiking if where I end up has the geography for it. I gather the US is very diverse when it comes to that and it depends where you go, but the most exciting bit of land I've seen in my life so far is a steep hill.

I didn't want to mention that this was on my to do list. I've heard some thing s about the annoying touristy brits taking up the ranges :p

8. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

New York City is insanely expensive, I wouldn't plan on spending more than a few days there if you can help it. It will drain your money dry, but there's a few things you should do there. One thought is that with your budget you might do something outdoorsy like hiking a portion of the Appalachian trail. Camping is a lot cheaper than hotels. Worth remembering that there are buses between NYC and Philadelphia or Washington DC for $5-10 US. Check out airbnb for reasonable accommodations and the chance to get a kitchen - cooking your own food will save you a lot of money, but splurge every once in a while.

Oh man, you should go to New Orleans. Food, music, beautiful city, great aquarium, great zoos, great INSECT zoo, it rules! Definitely one of the places to splurge on food and one of the places that has truly unique cuisine, will not find anything like it.

Nashville - another insane music town. Just incredible talent all in one area. It's mostly country/bluegrass/rock, but even if that's not your thing it's worth a try. Some of the best BBQ on the planet.

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  9. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

If you have the coin to stay in Manhattan, Hotel Yotel is pretty kickbutt but yeah, NYC is very expensive.

10. Southpaw535

Man I have no idea. I'm not a huge clubbing guy (I don't drink and being the one sober person in a crowd of drunks is...well. No.) but I would probably end up doing at least one night out. Generally though? I'm not really sure specifically. When I visit new places here I normally just enjoy taking in the atmosphere of a new place and chilling out. Course, those are normally day trips and not week holidays :p

But to give a ballpark idea I'd probably do a lot of walking and looking at stuff, a reasonable amount of shopping, and a lot of eating. It will tie in nicely with me not having to worry about my fight weight any more so food is a very high priority. For the most part it depends on the place. Like if I do Florida there'd be more beach dwelling. If I go somewhere I find has a cool looking mma gym I might go drop in for a session. I'm aware I'm trying to do this on a very tight budget so I'm not being too picky on what I want to do.

Way it goes. I'd probably enjoy the first day of "holy crap these buildings are huge" if I went to the outskirts, but it might not keep me entertained for a trip.

Its a rite of passage in London to get thoroughly lost on the tube and never ask anyone for help because we don't like to bother strangers. Like I'd ask for help with a bus :p

But no, I have read that it is a bit awkward there. I think that's generally true when you visit any new place though.

Not really, its simply the most obvious and well known place in America that I'm aware of. That's one of the main reasons I made this thread. Because America is fricking ginormous and I don't want to mug myself out going to NYC because its NYC when I could have had my money go further and had a better all round experience somewhere else. So long as its not some hick outback I'm open to pretty much anywhere.

11. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

This music video says so much about Florida - great weather, stunning beaches, amazing food, beautiful girls, working out on the beach, and friendly people who will walk up to you on the beach and strike up a conversation.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7drvhZwPcs[/ame]

12. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Nothing to add. Just here to say I'm so freaking jealous, and have a great time ;p

13. Southpaw535

Having done some more googling, I'm inclined to agree with everyone that NYC is expensive as balls and I'm going to strike it from my list.

14. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Thumb down on Orlando. It's a pit just like most inland FL places IMO. New Orleans I hear is great though I've never been. Sounds like you're looking for a blend of city (for the shopping) and outdoors activities? Though I love the Tampa and Southbeach area, Southern FL is insanely hot and humid in the summer FYI... San Diego would be a great spot. It's a big city and very outdoorsy with surfing spots right there. Traffic is heavy but not comparable to LA. If you have a car and feel like making a 2 hr drive to LA, you can visit some of the movie studios which is pretty cool but yeah, LA highway traffic sucks.

15. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I knew a guy who went with a few hundred quid, bought a bike and rode it across the states. He slept in car parks still wearing his leathers, did cash in hand jobs no questions asked, mostly avoided arrest and had a great time.

So your budget is looking luxurious. :D

Mitch

16. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

:(

17. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

You're friends with Jack Reacher?

18. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Speaking from my own fairly limited experience......

The best bit of NYC for me was the twin towers, and they've gone. I know there's plenty to see and do there, but for me personally there were far more pleasant places to go in the USA.

I much preferred Boston. It's far more laid back than NYC and it's pretty compact, so you can walk around most of the sights. They've got something called the Freedon Trial, but it isn't just a tour of fast food outlets, it actually takes in all the sites in the city which were associated with the American Rebellion. It's literally a line painted on the ground, so you can't go wrong. It's brilliant. And you can also do stuff like whale watching, which is a blast, as you can get almost within touching distance of whales.

Another city I liked a lot was San Francisco. Didn't spend as much time there as Boston, but there seemed to be a lot to see and do.

Las Vegas is a bit of a novelty, but unless you're a gambling addict then it gets boring pretty quickly. But it does serve as a departure point for the Grand Canyon, which I would VERY strongly recommend.

Colorado is a really nice bit of the country, with plenty to see and do. But anywhere in rural America you'll need your own transport of course.

19. Southpaw535

I have heard the same about Orlando from friends who love Disneyland. They go there for that but otherwise don't seem to enjoy the place much.

New Orleans is going to get some googling I think.

20. Southpaw535

Worth adding I can't drive. So there is that.