Viet Vo Dao?

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Andy Murray, Apr 7, 2002.

1. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

I hope I spelled it right! I saw a demo of this Vietnamese Martial Art during a big demo in France. A lot of flying kicks reminiscent of early TKD. Unusually they also demonstrated Sabre as well.

Anyone know any more?

Pablo, I noticed you were into various arts, and you mentioned Vietnamese arts...............

Andy

2. Pablo

Pablo New Member

This link gives an overview that squares with what I remember being told by the founder of Cuong Nhu.

http://cclib.nsu.ru/projects/satbi/satbi-e/martart/vietnam.html

Basically, Vietnamese arts either bear a strong resemblance to Chinese systems, and have precious little documentation as to which was which when they were developed many years ago, OR they bear a strong resemblance to newer Japanese arts and Western boxing, as a result of more recent cultural importation.
    Some of their strategies and concepts are also found in Burmese and other Indo-Chinese arts, such a 'defanging the snake' or the use or triangles.
    However, it would be unfair to look at the Vietnamese arts as merely knock-offs of other styles. There is a unique quality, for example the Vietnamese snake forms are very different than the Shaolin forms. Ditto for some of the weapons forms, and their pattern of blocking/deflections is right up there with Escrima.

FWIW

paul

3. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

The only exposure I've seen to any MA from Vietnam was demonstrated by a man named Alexei Ovtchinikov. He did a monkey form from a Vietnamese MA. It looked like a Chinese monkey form ... but, you're right Pablo, it also had its own flavor.

I've met Alexei at a couple of seminars in Denver, CO (Kun Tao Silat de Thouars Family Gatherings). He's an excellent martial artist and lives in Atlanta. Unfortunately, that's all the info I have on him. But if anyone has the chance to train with him, I'd HIGHLY recommend it.

Mike

Last edited: Mar 6, 2003
  4. cioGium

cioGium New Member

i train

i train

5. cioGium

cioGium New Member

what i meant is

that i train in QWAN KI DO wich is a vietnamese martial art , acctually chino -vietnames because it has lots influences from hakkas chinese styles.
    the style is mainly kicking and punching(65%) but also includs joint locks , throws and projections.It also incorporates weapons-i train with a bong- 1.90 m stick- and also tonfa ,knife ,
    ,sword(only after the black belt) , short sticks , etc
    What i love about it is Dao Tu Do or VAT -which is vietnamese fighting(the non competitional fight) - resembles a lot with muay thay-lots of knees and elbows but also head kicks.

any questions you have , i'll be waiting.

p.s. you can check www.q****ido.home.ro the site has an english version too. enjoy.

6. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee New Member

My family is Vietnamese and I think my dad knows alot about this.If your somewhere in Indiana his name is Kiet Dao and he works in a nail factory of a super walmart.

7. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Well, he'd have to know a lot about this if his system takes the best of every system in the world, right?

Mike

8. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee New Member

Well not all of the sytems I already told ppl this.
    .......I think