Video of my 3rd kyu examination - Jan de Jong (Tsutsumi Hozan) ryu

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Archibald, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpukWuPRfdg"]YouTube - Jan de Jong Ju Jutsu (tsutsumi hozan ryu) 3rd kyu examination[/ame]

My 3rd kyu examination that I did earlier this year, for your enjoyment :)

Our style evolved from the Tsutsumi Hozan ryu that de Jong sensei learnt in the 20's in Indonesia, from K. and S. Saito. I won't go into the history of the school because there's plenty of it on the internet, just look up Jan de Jong or Tsutsumi Hozan ryu if you're interested.

Our gradings consist of a list of attacks that each carry a specific tehnique for tori to perform against. From behind tori's back the examiner signals which attacks uke is to throw. This means it is not just the techniques being examined, but also your reflexes - as you see in the video, I didn't know which attack was going to come.

This is how de Jong senei graded in the
    20's, so as far as he knew it had always been a training method of the style (Masao tsutsumi was involved in the development of Judo, so it's hard to tell how much of what we practice today came from that exchange of techniques).

Kensei1984, whom you'll know from the Aikdio forum, is the fellow in the red belt attacking me. He's 95kg of muscle (compared to my 65kg :p) and his attacks always mean business, let alone with the added pressure of a grading. THe other fellow is Mike, at 80 something kg.

Enjoy! If you have any questions feel free to fire them at me.

I graded 2nd kyu the other week, just short of my 6th year in training....I'll try get the vids of that one up soon :)

Edit: Just realised the sound goes out of sync halfway through....you can blame youtube for that. Also it's worth noting that the ten techniques at the end are just revision techniques, so they aren't done 'reflex' style.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  2. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

I liked it very much. Congratulations,well deseved.

Really liked the retention of your own balance throughout when attacked by "monsters".:):):)

3. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Thanks koyo, that means a lot coming from you.

We call kensei the Panda because he's roughly built like one lol.

Sorry Francis ;)

4. koyo

I have a friend we call the bear because he is exactly like one even down to his eating habits and "personality"

not sorry David :evil:

Good to have strong training partners. Hope you took them out for a drink.

5. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

Oooooh nice. Playtime!

6. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

I did....they deserved it.

7. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

Good stuff, Archibald. The fact that koyo congratulated you says volumes about your work. :cool:
    One question: what exactly happened around 4:00? As the red belt was going for mount, it looked like you kicked him in the butt and he jumped off... :confused: I know I have to be missing something here! :D

8. Dao

Dao Valued Member

The uke jumped here due to the fact that Archibald encircled his ankles with his arms. This was an error on Archibald's part but considering the pressure it is somewhat understandable.
    Normally the hands would be used to block ukes legs below the knee and either a shin-kick to the coccyx or a foot-thrust to the perineum used to project uke over the head of tori.

Archibald:
    G'day mate,
    Well done!
    This is a tidy job for a 3rd kyu grading.
    I think a goo measure of technique can be how the standard of the last few techniques compares to the first few. You had reasonable consistency which roughly indicates good technique.

If you would like some constructive feedback PM me. If not then good luck with training for Ikkyu. It is a steep learning curve from the one you have just completed.

Dao

9. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

That's where he got me. The fact that he had my feet meant that I could not recover in a good position, I had to hop over or go face first. I would rather not have anyone see that.

10. koyo

Hey Kensei

Good to be able to put faces to you guys.

I hope you appreciate how important it is to have "friends" who are prepared to kick you there.:evil:

Good work guys.:cool:

regards koyo

11. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Thanks Dao, beat me to it....yup, normally the elbows are braced on the ground and the hands holding the knees to prevent uke from sitting down. I think I got it right for the backwards takedown, I'll have to have another look.

Of course I would always love feedback....please feel free to either PM me or just post it up for everyone to see...I'm sure I'll get good advice. I'll try and get Nikyu revision up soon (unfortunatly nikyu reflex was recorded on a phone and my computer wont recognise it....I'll work on it).

Thanks for the positive comments everyone!

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Just a couple of points so far.
    Roll the top of your gi bottoms over a couple of times. It'll bring them up a bit higher and you won't need to pull them up so much. :)
    There was one knife defence that had me cringing. You basically brought the guys arm up behind his back which resulted in the knife ending up under your own chin. Probably not the best idea.

Good so far though.

13. righty

righty Valued Member

Thanks for posting. I like seeing other peoples gradings, even though it's rather unlikely I would ever record let alone release one of my own.

I'm curious about the ready stance you have. With the left arm up protecting your face but with your right arm lower and positions across and close to the body. It's quite possibly a dunce question, but what's the reason for this?

14. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Nice work ....enjoyed and will link it for my students to view if you dont mind..

Const question....when you throw you dont out any finisheing strikes in to the attacker...any reason for this ?

regards

Alansmurf

15. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Nice work ....enjoyed and will link it for my students to view if you dont mind..

Const question....when you throw you dont out any finishing strikes in to the attacker...any reason for this ?

regards

Alansmurf

16. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

PASmith..

You are correct, it is dangerous but you have control over the knife through the shoulder lock being applied....care is taken to keep the knife well away from your neck....I don't think the camera angle demonstrates this very well :p

You do have a valid point though...what can I say? That's the technique that's in the syllabus. A cut over your face is better than a knife in your belly.

And yes I have since got some gi bottoms that fit me ;)

Righty....this guard is used to invite linear attacks to the face, but leaving that target open. Tsutsumi sword work follows the same tactic....present a target so that you may then take it away with taisabaki and immediately counter strike. This is a deceptive tactic only....if I thought my attacker was well prepared I'd have my guard much more closed up.

Allansmurf...this is mainly so I can quickly turn and deal with the second uke, but a powerful throw + letting uke go in midair should be enough to disable an attacker. When under less pressure we usually take the time to apply a strike or a lock.

Thanks for all the questions and comments everyone!

17. koyo

I would venture that the knife technique is in the syllabus for grading at kyu level.
    At a higher level the knife is turned on the attacker and struck into his spine.

Still a strong and immediate control should keep the kisaki (point) away for the instant needed to complete the technique.

Do not find much at all to critique for the standard expected of the grade.
    Can only encourage you to continue training in such a manner.

koyo

On knife technique. We assume that we can never tell when/if the knife shall be involved so ALL training in techniques assume a knife attack.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'm just hyper critical of knife stuff. I see far to much where the knife is caught on one side of the bodyinly for it to be moved across the defenders body to be dealt with by some other technique.
    As far as I'm concerned..if I'm lucky enough to get a control on his knife hand I'm gonna keep it on the same side while I bash his face in.
    I feel there is so much potential for forward pressure and mistakes that additional time with the knife being within my location is time I don't want to happen.
    But hey....never faced a knife attacker so what do I know?

Good grading.

19. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

PASmith....you are right....the defence isn't perfect, but then, what knife defence is?

To me the only 'perfect' part of that waza is nagashi - 'flowing' body movement. That is, move out of the way. My next tactic would always be to then pick something up BIGGER than the knife and destroy him with it, like you said.

These techniques merely drill the PRINCIPLES involved - move, unbalance and control. My thanks for your feedback...it's obvious we share the same ideas.

And as koyo said, great care is taken to maintain control at the critical point. At higher levels of training a more severe outcome is applied.

Tomorrow my first ever group of students are going through their first examination....wish me and them luck :)

20. Dao

Dao Valued Member

Re: the knife technique:
    I have found this to be an effective technique against the 'sewing machine' style knife attack as it allows the attackers arm to be secured with two hands and tori is able to effectively 'ride' the movement into the lock.

Providing constant opposing pressure is applied with the arms this technique is no more dangerous than any other knife defense.
    I concur with Archibald that a nick to the chin is not too high a price to pay for the level of control this technique gives. At the point at which the knife is close to the face the arm is under tori's control not uke's.

Archibald: Good luck to you and your students in the upcoming grading. I know I am generally more nervous than my students when it comes to grading. I doubt many students realise how much their instructors invest in them.
    It is also hard not to take it to heart if one doesn't perform as well as expected.

Dao