very pleased with myself and my partner

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by aiki-laurie, Nov 8, 2008.

1. aiki-laurie

aiki-laurie New Member

today we had our grading for 5th kyu and we done it :D

i know its still only low level but i feel it to be such an achievement!

weve only been practicing aikido since this february and already 5th kyu within a year!

we also got to train with steve beachum who is 6th dan and he was amazing i found it hard to keep up! but it was a great experience!

im so proud of us i just wanted to share it :D

now im going to study hard for 4th kyu next year! :D

yay!

2. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

Congrats, that's great! What style of aikido do you study and what ranking system does your school use?

3. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Well done. :D

4. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Congratulations. Both my wife and daughter are long time practisioners and I know what you mean about sharing the pride of your and your partners achievement.

regards koyo

5. aiki-laurie

aiki-laurie New Member

thanks all!

we study traditional aikido and our ranking system goes from 6th kyu being first grading then 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st, shodan, 1st dan 2nd dan etc...

:)

6. meetmas

meetmas New Member

Well done !!

7. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

Good job.

All that is left is to keep the ball rolling in your learning, for life.

8. aiki-laurie

aiki-laurie New Member

oh yea! its made me more determined than ever ^^

9. Brat

Brat Return of the Brat!!!

It feels like a big achievement because it is a big achievement.

I've watched so many people come and go before even reaching 5th kyu.

*Applauds happily* Congrats aiki-laurie!

10. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Congrats :happy:

11. koyo

I would add..keep your Hibi Shoshon..beginners mind and enthusiasm.

again congratulations koyo

12. aiki-laurie

aiki-laurie New Member

thanks guys :) it means a lot!

i hope the spirit stays with me too, even though i study other MA's i feel loyal to aikido :)

going to try out some Genbukan ninpo tonight just to see what its like :)

decided im not going to continue wing chun as its a bit expensive for me and i dont enjoy it that much for their prices!

for the one hour a week i do its £50 a month :/

13. Shinkei

Shinkei Valued Member

Aikido is a fantastic journey, I hope you get as much out of study as I do. I have been practising since 1975 and get as much pleasure out of Aikido now as I did back then.

14. aiki-laurie

aiki-laurie New Member

great yea just came back from aikido and was a brilliant lesson 1st as 5th kyu and already i got the syllabus for 4th kyu! lol my sensei said i could do it in 6 months :)

anyway as i said above i went to have a look at Genbukan which the sensei said i would have to practise ju jitsu as well to get far in genbukan.

i said honestly would it get in the way with my aikido? he said yup you need to choose what path is right for you and get bloody good at it! and explained how they were just too simular.

without hesitation i said i think i've already found my path :)

so ive been nagging my sensei to do more aikido lessons in the week lol! after all its the only reason why i cross train!

15. Shinkei

Shinkei Valued Member

You are welcome to visit our Aikido club based in Canvey Island Essex.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  16. aiki-laurie

aiki-laurie New Member

thanks for your offer mate! my partner alan used to train at your dojo on a saturday afternoon and he said your style was different to what were used to.
    if it was more traditional then great :) plus i work saturdays or you would have sen me at your dojo already ^^

im having a look at visiting this dojo in london for extra training
    http://www.londonaikikai.com/

17. Shinkei

Shinkei Valued Member

Good choice, any dojo that is linked to Chiba should be of a high standard. The lineage of this dojo can be traced back to the Aikikai.

As a caution there are many instructors of all styles who claim to be taught by leading Sensei, I meet someone who claimed to be taught by Dr Lee ah Loi, I trained at her dojo for twenty years and never met this person other than on a seminar an to me that doesn't count.

Shaun Hoddy

18. koyo

Good choice training in Chiba shihan's group. I would also recommend a visit to Shaun's dojo . Always good to get different perspective and to say hello.

regards koyo

regards koyo

19. aiki-laurie

aiki-laurie New Member

yea Alan told me had trained with Dr Lee i have her dvd! hehe.

do you do any other days other than Saturday at your dojo? i work from 10am-8pm Saturdays so i wouldn't be able to make that lesson. :(

20. Shinkei

Shinkei Valued Member

We have a class on Thursday evenings 8.00pm-9.30pm at Waterside Farm Canvey Island . This class is structured towards beginners. Dr Lee has produced 4 DVD's the first one is on the Basic Randori No Kata featuring a much younger me, the other three are the 6 Koryu No Kata of the Tomiki system.

Dr Lee Shihan is a 7th Dan Aikido, 7th Dan Iaido, 7th Dan Jodo she lists Hideo Obha as her mentor Obha Sensei is featured in the Way of the warrior on Youtube, this is featured in in the Map aiki forum.

As stated we welcome any Aikidoka to our Dojo. I am not into style politics Aikido has all shades and people practice for different reasons.

details of our club can be found http://www.shoshinkanaikido.co.uk

or our new site http://www.tomiki-aikido.org.

Shaun