versus Ed Parker kenpo or something like it

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by aikiMac, Feb 20, 2008.

1. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

The serious point of my post was lead with the opposite foot your opponent has forward. This has worked well for me sparring in Shotokan. They get confused. They are focused on attacking you, and you focus on passing and countering. This is very hard to do if you lead with the same foot.

By moving like this you are stopping them for doing five or six strikes in a row, with both hands, as only one hand is close to you. If you read/watch Ed Parker's work, you will see how the flow-of-strikes work. By entering to his off side, you interrupt the flow, or force him to make small/short movements with the closest hand, which lack power. This is when you can counter effectively, and then the aikido can begin.

I have tried Robuse (ikkyo) on fast hands and all I have managed is kuzushi, breaking their balance, they recover and cross, or jab, which ever hand is forward. This is good to control, or set up for another throw, but never been able to get a "fighter" "down" with it.

Regards,

Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  2. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Metsubishi (backfist between the eyes) aimed at his face drawing a hand up in defence since you know before he does control of his elbow is easy. Thrust the elbow up and over enough to take the weight off
    one foot, this leaves the other foot "routed"(his weight is on it for an instant) rather than attempt classic ikkyo with both hands strike the floating rib with the free hand this shall give you the (short) time needed to secure ikkyo. If ikkyo feels ineffective flow immediately to irrimi nage.

MAAI is mutual fighting distance sympathetic to both. Aikido is performrd in MA a measurement of space either too close to him our just out of reach. That is the problem faced when a mutual agreement is made to "face off" in maai.We must not allow (maai) a mutual distance.

My two pence worth.

regards koyo

Too tall for ikkyo , entering for irrimi nage or I could have wrapped the arm and neck for kessa gatame strangle.

Attached Files:

3. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

Think we will drill this next Tuesday in kihon. However, I don't see how this will help with a "fighter". One of the guys who trains sporadically with us is a boxer, when I try the metsubishi, he lowers his head and wears it! Like boxers do.

Nicely put!

Regards,

4. koyo

While you executing the metsubishi enter at the same instant...deeply. Or as I was told..BOLDLY.

regards koyo

Graham..to us irrimi means behind so the photo shows "half way" through the entry trying to place myself in the rear kuzushi. The irrimi nage would be as aiki mac described.

5. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

I was talking about the Robuse (ikkyo). Even if he did take the backhand on the top of his head, the palm of my other hand was poised to do Nodo-Wa-Otoshi (irimi nage with the palm on the chin). However, if the 'intension' is to enter and then take down with ikkyo, the initial atemi will may not generate the required block, since he is blocking it with his head :D

That is why I suggested entering to the off side, then use something like irimi nage, but not ikkyo, based on my personal experience.

I do like the application of ikkyo above. However, I don't think a kenpoist or boxer etc. is the sort of person who will give you this block.

Regards,

6. koyo

As you say. However the intention is to engage his arm so that you may enter and unbalance him to negate the other strike and then execute a technique. The ikkyo need not imobilise simply "turn him aside" so that you can gain a superior position. Of course you must be open to execute any technique or strike that offers itself. The first thing that goes out the window in this type of engagement is "the plan".
    I feel we must avoid aiki and fight with a broken tythm and constantly changind maai rather than get drawn into "fighting like him!.

Most of us have crosstrained, at the moment the boys are concentrating on Thai boxing at their free class. Whever there is a black eye, winding etc they put it down to "lapsing" into a competative" mind where they engage each other in a specific manner.(or with a specific technique in mind) Great fun and excellent training.

regards koyo

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  7. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Hmmm -- I think you're right! I'm glad you pointed that out.

If he doesn't go down with ikkyo then switch to yonko. It's sitting right there for you.

8. RoninCelt

RoninCelt Valued Member

OK, I see by the language and concepts that I've stumbled into the Aikido section :confused:, which I know nothing about, but do have experience on the kempo side.

My way of handing this would be: Back into the Fence, with lead leg a disguised cat stance; the moment I see him move, lead leg kicks to his shin, inside of shin, or inside of thigh which will cause him to lose focus/drop his guard (if not drop him)--and yeah, this does work; then, apply your favorite finishing move.

9. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

We don't do yonkyo (tekubi otoshi) very much. It is a low probability technique. The probability of it working on a fighter in a real fight is even less. I agree with Koyo, and changing to irimi nage is a much better approach.

Regards,

10. koyo

So ronin says defend the centreline, controls the distance and sweep him.

He goes off balance and graham applies ikkyo which further unbalances him

so aiki mac converts ikkyo to yonkyo and

rebel washes over him.Sounds like an unlimited responce to me.ALL GOOD

Aiki mac calls ikkyo the "first technique". We use ikkyo a lot to unbalance rather than as a finishing technique (which it can be). I was told that I need "only" master ikkyo and irrimi nage and "all else shall become available". Our body alignment (triangular) should always position us for those two "first" techniques.
    As for yonkyo, having executed countless thousands of sword cuts I personally find it a very effective technique after ikkyo particularly when used with a body check.

below for ronin in case you are unfamiliar with the terminology...irrimi nage entering throw.Thanks for input and welcome to the thread .Let's hear it for cross training.

regards koyo

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  11. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

Sounds like we have a method... Now who wants to conduct the experiment :D

12. koyo

I DO :)after each exchange on MAP I tend to take it to the next class.Close in fighting tends to lead to throws or pins. Almost all of our training in the new dojo is cross training because we have few beginners and most of the guys are cross trained.Judo training has been of great value.

regards koyo

13. aikiMac

What have I been doing? :eek: :)

In my post that got lost when the database crashed I said that when I went pure aikido (as best as I am able, mind you) I did remarkably better against my buddy's kenpo. Triangular entries work. A little parry here and there, step on the triangle, and bingo, ikkyo and irimi-nage were everywhere available! And I completely agree with Koyo: if you have either ikkyo or irimi-nage then the whole range of techniques are also available to you. They were there, man. (I wish I had thought of maintaining a reverse-hanmi stance idea. I think it I would have dodged more kicks and punches.)

No, I didn't block everything that my buddy threw at me. No, I didn't land everything that I tried. But -- when I consciously tried to execute textbook aikido, the openings were there. There were potential aikido techniques everywhere, constantly. When I failed it was because I'm not perfect. It wasn't because aikido lacked something as compared to what he was throwing at me.

I am so totally a believer now in aikido's triangular footwork. Wow.

14. aikiMac

Thoughts on the kenpoist:

Somewhere in the flurry of kenpo punches wrists cross each other, so the forearms begin to form the letter X. That's your entry for ikkyo.

Also, if you've got the kenpo guy's side, which as aikidoists we both expect to happen, then either: (a) The near forearm is pointing down, or you can make it point down. That's your entry for ikkyo on that arm. Or (b) he's going to punch across his body with the other hand, and turn his own torso in the process. That's your entry for ikkyo on that arm.

15. koyo

Entered on his right jab and egaged his left arm, he blocked and the block was drawn across his body turning his torso leaving an opening for the strike. AND leaving the opening to continue to irrimi nage.You can see he was about to go to a kicking attack, left foot/knee.BASIC principle the ikkyo like technique unbalanced him for an instant.

regards koyo
    aiki mac..isn't a great when something just "clicks"? Ignore the mystics aikido is a decisive attacking art (from a triangular posture)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  16. aikiMac

I'll drink to that. :)