Vaccination status affecting martial arts relationships

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by aaradia, Dec 9, 2021.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

This is a difficult one for me to write about. Also, I normally don't discuss my personal relationship issues online. But I am making an exception for this. Am I alone in having this issue?

Warning: Long post for explanation.....I am going to break this down into several posts.

Are vaccination policies, or the status of those around you at the school affecting your training and relationships there?

I have a few close partners/ Kung Fu friends at the school. These people are largely the ones I do workouts with, format with, and do two person form practice. There is one friend in particular whom I have long considered my main two person partner. We have been there as each others partner in most of our CLF tests the last few years. And we have done our two person forms in tournaments together for years. Won a few medals too! We have dedicated one night a week to two person practice, the last few years (6 or 7?) with another friend, but definitely us two.

But vaccination status and attitudes about the pandemic are changing that. And it is causing me grief and some other unpleasant feelings. There is a bit of a distance growing between us. I don't know if it is permanent or not. It's upsetting. :(

When our school re-opened, we were not allowed to make contact for two person practice. The three of us still met once a week. We did the two person stuff solo, then facing each other, but 6 or more feet away. So that we could get an idea of how the moves matched up with each other. And at least get some of the timing down. The idea was that whenever we could make contact again, we wouldn't have to spend time just remembering the dang forms! We practiced outside and with masks anyways.

Then the vaccines came out. Yay!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
  2. aaradia

Part 2:

I got vaccinated right away, so did another close friend who practices with us on other nights. This person was hesitant over the new technology. I was too actually, but reading up on the science and having a couple of friends with scientific backgrounds quelled my fears quickly. Then the J & J vaccine came out and we all thought she would get that as it was established vaccine technology. But no. She is NOT a right winger by any means, she is NOT a Trumpster. But she kept saying she was too busy and would do it.

Meanwhile the other main two person friend on Fridays got vaccinated. Pretty much everyone in even my larger circle at the school did too. Several of us tried to talk to her, but she got more and more against it as time went on. It turned into she "doesn't even get the flu shot." Months later, I tried to gently broach the subject and my normally chill affable friend shut me down in no uncertain terms. Same thing happened a couple of weeks later when others tried to talk to her. She told a friend she is not remotely concerned about getting the virus. And while she wears protective gear at work and when required, she also gets awfully close to people and makes contact with others. (People who assume she is vaccinated.)

We are allowed to make contact in two person practice now. But I won't do it with unvaccinated people. It isn't the contact so much as being that close to them breathing their aerosols. We make contact with our long weapons forms, but no hand stuff. I also put on a mask when doing two person stuff with her. Even at a distance.I make contact with my other vaccinated friends. We are outside and I don't wear a mask with them.

The whole group have had discussions about respecting each others boundaries and comfort levels during this pandemic. But I admit I am feeling a bit angry and resentful about her decision. The rest of us in this close group have all taken responsibility to protect ourselves and EACH OTHER. She won't. (I should add she is in the over 65 years old group too.) I heard a hint from one of our mutual friends that she is frustrated with me too. I feel she has no right to be frustrated with me being cautious. Truth is, I don't respect the decision to not get vaccinated. Unless there is a sound medical reason, which is not the case here. I am angry that variants that escape immunity to some level are developing because of people who won't do the right thing and get vaccinated!

We still practice together, but I am feeling a bit of a rift. I don't know if it will grow or close. I don't know if it is temporary or permanent. I had a hint it is mutual, but it might just be me. She just tested. I was not her partner, because she found someone that would do contact. We are supposed to soon learn a two person Tai Chi form that I have wanted to learn for years! She agreed to learn it earlier than normal so I could have a partner. But, because of the vaccine issue, well, I won't do it with contact. So instead of feeling joy in learning this soon, after wanting to for so long, I just feel anxiety over it.

As I prepare for my next CLF test, I have shifted focus with another friend. She is equally frustrated by our mutual friend. She also prefers to not make contact with unvaccinated people. She has agreed to be my two person partner for my test. We are practicing once a week on a different night WITH contact. I need a safe partner to practice contact in my two person forms. In one way I am lucky. It is hard to find even one regular partner, but I do have the ability to have others who will step in extra due to this issue. But I am feeling a sense of loss over the changing dynamics with my (formerly) main two person partner.

I am just curious if others out there have had similar issues with partners or school's handling of vaccinations? Has vaccination status affected anyone else's training? Caused any level of rifts in friendships?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
  3. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

This is very sad and I do understand your reasons. Your friend is probably also frustrated everyone tells her to get the vaccine, when she's probably quite against it. To be honest, I quite don't understand the fear some people have of vaccines. I mean, we got vaccinated with a ton of different things in our life already, haven't we?

It is hard to see any way you can resolve the situation :( Unless you give in and practice with her, which is probably not the clever decision, or someone forces her to get vaccine.

For me, here our government is trying to force people to get vaccine and it is going to become mandatory for people 60+ and people in health care. For now people without the shot can't go to places like restaurants and free time activities. So although I do know several people who didn't want the vaccine, I am not meeting them at the moment. Well, mostly. When teaching karate to children, I do feel a bit worried there as children weren't vaccinated and covid is spreading in schools, so we started wearing masks for that training at least. As of now, all my trainings are inside and without masks, but we try to avoid practicing in pairs. Though honestly, I am not sure if that would actually have much of an effect.

At first I was baffled why some people wouldn't want the vaccine. Mostly they said due to reasons that were hoaxes. Some people didn't want to discuss it or said they wanted to leave it to their immunity, not get an atificial one, etc. But I have just given up discussing it. The result of these conversations wasn't positive and no one would get the vaccine just because I thought it was a good idea, obviously. And I thought I should probably respect everyone's opinion as much as I want mine to be respected. It not like I can do anything about their decision anyways, as anyone who wasn't really against it would be vaccinated by now, so there's no reason to argue with them. I guess I just won't see them for the time being when they can't go much anywhere ...

It is a pity it has gotten you into some situation. But you probably can't do much about it except avoiding practicing with her. She should respect that decision of yours, at least, if you try to respect hers. And you can pray she'd be somehow forced to get the shot, I guess :(

axelb and David Harrison like this.
  4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

It is very awkward and I feel for your dilemma.

I have tried debating with people who are against the vaccine and I have never heard a good reason for not getting it.
    No one ever says they are allergic to it or immuno-compromised or even needle phobic. Those reasons I can agree with.
    It's always selfish nonsense like "the virus isn't that bad", "I lead a healthy lifestyle", "it's a liberal conspiracy", "it's against my freedom", etc etc.

To be honest I'm finding the divisions and "tribes" in culture/society impacting more and more. They seem so much more front and centre.
    I know my instructor voted for Brexit and is an ardent Tory (conservative) for example and that causes me some internal annoyance. I have to push those feelings down to interact with him and in day to day life he's a good bloke.
    I know some people who are anti-"woke" and anti-PC. I have to ignore the memes they share.
    Relatives who are very right wing.
    Some things I can quash and move on but some stuff really does give an insight into their characters and that insight is not pleasant.

Can't say I have an answer though.

I think the base rule in martial arts, and it must be a sacrosanct rule as far as I'm concerned, is that you must only train with people you feel safe and comfortable with. You must be able to set boundaries, enforce those boundaries and have people respect those boundaries.
    If training with this person makes you feel unsafe then you shouldn't train with them in the same way you wouldn't/shouldn't train with someone who made you feel unsafe because they hit harder than was agreed, cranked submissions, didn't respect the tap, sparred in an unsafe manner, had poor personal hygiene, were too aggressive, rude, etc.
    I don't see this as any different to that really and if she was truly a friend she should respect that.

5. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I think a little empathy is in order. You said yourself that you were initially hesitant to get vaccinated, so this person just hasn't had the realisation you did, and possibly they have been misled by the widespread and worryingly successful disinformation campaign aimed at any mitigation efforts against this global pandemic.

Make your boundaries clear, and accept that it might permanently sour your relationship, but being angry and judgemental will only be detrimental to you and probably cement her decision even more.

6. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Well-Known Member

The politicization of Covid has done amazing things for tearing apart families and friends.

a few months ago I started a training group. We meet in the park and train outdoors . I insist that all participants be vaccinated, and I delayed starting the group until that became possible. I have two students, and I really enjoy our training together.

my son, age eight, received his second vaccine dose yesterday. YAY! Getting him vaccinated was the final hurdle in my mind, and while I believe we are a long way from being done with the pandemic and we all still need to exercise cautious behavior, I feel like I can breath easier now.

my younger brother continues to resist getting vaccinated. He and his wife won’t do it, and won’t let their teenage daughters get it either, although one is nearly 18 and will be able to do it on her own soon. And we have two other brothers and a sister-in-law who are medical doctors but we can’t convince him to get vaccinated. I just don’t understand this. It isn’t a political agenda. My agenda is simple: I would very much like for my brother and his family to not get Covid and die or have long-term health problems from it. That is it. It isn’t about making a political point. And this causes tension within the family, it feels like something we need to tiptoe around. It is very frustrating.

i guess this just became a rant, but yeah, I understand your feelings.

aaradia, David Harrison and Dead_pool like this.
  7. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

It's a bit of an impossible situation though, as the disinformation campaign has made compulsion and stigma part of their propaganda. The more these people who've been duped by crazy libertarian billionaires, and grifters who've hopped on the gravy train, feel pressured into getting vaccinated, the more they will resist.

Flying Crane likes this.
  8. aaradia

That is the weird thing about this particular situation though. She is on the left politically. Aside from not getting the flu shot, has expressed a belief in vaccines. Has told stories of how everyone lined up for polio vaccines in her youth. Knows someone close to her who had polio. Also, is a person who does not do social media at all, and is not a person who watches the news. So, she isn't exposed to the disinformation campaign.

It's baffling.

Also, I should clarify. When I broached the subject, I was doing it after watching experts talk about how to talk to vaccine hesitant people. Mainly ways to broach the subject gently and in a non accusatory way. And I waited weeks between times I brought it up, so as not to make it a constant hounding on about it thing.

Have more to say, but I have to get ready for work.

Flying Crane likes this.
  9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

People often decide things in an emotional level, and when they do, it's very hard to change their mind on a rational level.

Lots of people have found this time very hard, and sometimes people try to feel less anxious by deciding against all information that it's not real and everyone else is over reacting.

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.

Unfortunately I don't know how to approach this in family and friends, so I've just cut them out without telling them, and when this is over, I can forgive/understand them then, but until then, I can only control what I do personally, and limit the risks I can.

axelb and David Harrison like this.
  10. Flying Crane

That can be very tempting to do, but my fear is that it may deepen rifts and make them more difficult or impossible to repair. I’m trying to just keep things calm and keep communication lines open, we have a family Text Message thread that we all banter back and forth on. We tend to avoid certain topics, but with the holidays coming up, people are making decisions whether or not to get together. I live halfway across the country so I won’t be there, but my other brothers are making decisions about if they will gather, or if so, under what conditions and with whom. We flew back to visit the family last summer, the kids were not yet vaccinated so we were careful about who we stayed with, only adults who were fully vaccinated. We visited with others but kept it outside. We visited with that brother even though it was a drive out of the way for a couple hours each way, but I wanted to not give the impression that we deliberately wanted to avoid them. We have had some tense exchanges, and I just didn’t want anything to add to a perception that we were slighting them. Especially because we live far enough away that we never really got to know their kids as they grew up, but I don’t want anyone to believe it is because we don’t want to. We want to keep the door open. We are all going to need to dig deep and let our frustrations go, or our families will be truly torn apart.

Dead_pool and David Harrison like this.
  11. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

The problem I have found is largely that it isn't about the vaccine.
    It's about being on one side or the other of the division that is happening.

I can understand people having legitimate reservations, but as people have noted it is always related to very false information.

It's not left or right politics, it is to some degree understanding of science, but it seems to be largely a tribe thing.

Did want the vaccine? Ok then make sure it test, wear a mask, socially distance? But no, there are reasons for those also.
    For some people it is there way to "stick it to the government", others are brain washed by their favourite platform (podcasts, actor, band) who hold an opinion against it.

When was the last time anyone wanted to find out information on up and coming movies, or music from a science journal?
    No one ever does.
    But science from your favourite pop star? Sure send all the meme's and they will take it on board.

I also think that the more you try and openly change peoples opinions on it, the more they stick to their guns.

I know far too many people sharing nonsense actively trying to convince people against it, but also those on the fence. Many who I spoke to about it, but didn't try and change their mind, but then they did and got the vaccination.

David Harrison likes this.
  12. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

As far as training with non vaccinated people goes , smitfire said it perfectly.

13. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

the karate lot i play with are just starting up contact training. As i get paired up I shall politely explain that I will only train with vaccinated partners. If they are non vaccinated I will politely excuse myself.

aaradia likes this.
  14. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Something I don't understand, well at least not beyond concern for family members such as @Flying Crane stated.

But if you are vaccinated..... why are you so concerned about those that are unvaccinated? And before anyone asks, I got the J&J vaccine and my symptoms were basically a bad head cold. However a colleague at work got the Moderna and he too caught Covid, but his symptoms were more like a case of the flu. Not saying any vaccine is better than the other, I am saying it depends on the individual.

Although I do know from personal experience, being vaccinated does not mean you will not get covid.

Also we need to take into account there are those that, even though they are high risk, it is not medically advisable they get the vaccine. I do have a friend who has an issue with cardiac inflammation, and his cardiologist advised him to not get the vaccine, since a side effect can be exactly what he has and in his case it could make it much worse.

15. Flying Crane

Good questions.

As you pointed out, it is still possible to get breakthrough infections even after being vaccinated. When that happens, you can pass the infection to others, including those who are at high risk, and they could have a bad outcome. However, the risk of this is lower when you are vaccinated, so it protects others around you. It is also a good reason to keep wearing masks whenever in public indoor places and in outdoor places where it is impossible to keep distance between you and others.

my sister-in-law is fully vaccinated, but got a breakthrough case from my nephew, who is too young to be vaccinated. She had a bad outcome in spite of being vaccinated, and ended up in the emergency room. She is fine now, but it was scary for a bit. This just illustrates how scary this disease is.

furthermore, when there are populations with low or no vaccination rates, the disease continues to spread widely and rapidly. Every time that happens, it is another chance for the disease to mutate, and it does mutate constantly. Most mutations are meaningless to us, but some, like delta variant, are bad news for us. We need to get everyone vaccinated for the safety of us all. It is absolutely possible that we could end up with a variant that spreads easily, causes high rates of severe illness and death, and evades our current vaccines. This would bring us back to square one, with a completely unprotected population, with a super-version of the virus. This is absolutely possible, and this is what we must avoid. The best way to avoid this is to get everyone vaccinated (very important: everyone internationally, because there are regions of the world that have almost zero vaccinations yet) because as long as the virus continues to spread relatively freely, we are all in danger of the next mutation. We all need to be vaccinated, and even then we all need to mask-up and keep a level of distance between ourselves and others, until the virus is truly stamped out. These are the best tools that we have so far, but we need to look at this as working together to protect each other. This isn’t just about the individual. It is about all of us, we are in this together.

And yes, there are those in the population who have genuine health problems that prevent them from getting the vaccine, such as allergies to the ingredients. It may be that those people are unable to be vaccinated. So once again, the rest of us need to get vaccinated in order to protect those who are more vulnerable who legitimately are unable to do so. We need to work together, we are in this together, all of us.

axelb, Mitlov, David Harrison and 2 others like this.
  16. aaradia

Flying Crane nailed it.

The more unvaccinated people there are, the more chance for it to mutate into something that evades vaccines. The less it is floating around in the community, the less chance for it to evolve and spread overall.

So far, what we know of the Omicron variant shows this, it seems to be able to break through to those vaccinated easier. So far, it also seems less deadly. But the more it can spread and evolve, the more chances it could evolve into something that spreads and evades the vaccine AND is more deadly.

This is what herd immunity is about.

This is why getting vaccinated is a responsibility to those around you and society, as well as yourself.

The friend you spoke about, those that really truly can't medically take the vaccine, are all the more reason for those who can to do so.

17. Xue Sheng

That I agree with, thank you

What I am running into a lot are folks running on fear that have no concern for anyone else and they are also creating yet another division in this country (USA) between vaccinated and unvaccinated that is being highly politicized and becoming as big a division as we have between right and left and republican and democrat which just leads to more arguing finger pointing and blaming all while getting absolutely nothing done. I am running into this online and in the real world. I guess I am just getting fed up with all of the fear, accusations, derision and division

18. Xue Sheng

We have cases of Omicron in NYS and an interesting statistic was given by the NYS Commissioner for the Department of Health today. 99% of all hospitalization are the delta variant, 1% is omicron.

And I have serious doubts that you will ever reach a true global heard immunity.

axelb likes this.
  19. Flying Crane

Yes I agree. I don’t understand it. It makes absolutely no sense to me. The vaccine is free, it is safe, it is easy, it is effective and it protects you and those around you, from a disease that can kill you, is killing people around the world, or can leave you with serious health problems for a long time. Why someone would refuse such a thing makes zero sense to me, I simply cannot fathom the decision.

i actually heard someone say, “I got the vaccine, but I got it under Trump, not under Biden.” WTF does that even mean? If they hadn’t gotten it before Biden was in The White House, then they would not have gotten it, because somehow it had changed at that point? The politics around this are astronomically bizarre.

We need to keep up the messaging. Giving up is not an option.

20. Flying Crane

Yes, omicron is still new in this country. It may become more widespread because it is considered more contagious. The fact that so far, it seems to be less potent, leading to fewer cases of serious illness, is good news for the moment. But if it is more contagious and evades the vaccine and continues to spread quickly, then it opens the door to a mutation from the omicron variant, that is more potent and leads to more serious illness and more death. We need to keep looking down the road to where things can and perhaps are likely to lead. We cannot let our guard down just because a new variant is not yet shown to be potent.

I agree that we may have missed our chance at true herd immunity. Because we could not collectively get our act together and behave with caution, the virus has spread far and wide. That horse has left the barn. Because we are selfish idiots.

David Harrison, Grond and aaradia like this.