User profile problem - HELP PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Johnno, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I've just started getting an error message when I try to sign on to my profile on my PC:

"The User Profile Service failed the logon.

User profile cannot be loaded."

I've tried to follow Microsoft's suggested fix but without success.

Can anyone help me please? (I will reward you with my undying MAP friendship.)

2. thguy

thguy Valued Member

Do you know your administrative password?
    If the windows screen has come up you have gone too far.
    If it does not work than it may be another one of the f keys depending on the model of your computer. Enter safemode. Type in your profile password and try to get in. If it lets you, go to start-->all programs-->accessorries--> system tools--> system restore. Choose the date that your computer worked and run the restore. You will not lose any documents. If you installed a program between after the restore date than you will have to re install it when it comes up. Let the restore run and try to log back in.

(from microsoft)
    To run System Restore in safe mode
    Access System Restore through Help and Support.
    Follow the instructions on your screen.
    Note

To access the System Restore Wizard, click Start, and then click Help and Support. Click Performance and Maintenance, click Using System Restore to undo changes, and then click Run the System Restore Wizard.

While the computer is in safe mode, System Restore does not create any restore points. Therefore, you cannot undo a restoration that you performed when the computer was in safe mode.

You can use System Restore to restore your computer to any restore point while in safe mode. If you cannot start the computer in standard mode, you can use System Restore to restore to a time when you could start the computer without errors.

To restore to a time when your computer started without errors, select a restore point as close to the time you remember it last started without errors.

If System Restore is suspended because of insufficient disk space, you cannot enable it by making more disk space available while in safe mode. You must restart the computer in standard mode and make more disk space available.
    Top of page

Next step....... Crack the admin password and try to run a restore
    Next step........Run a windows repair using a OEM factory or windows install disk
    Next step........ Create a new profile and move all of the info from old to new...

Let me know what happens after the first step and we can work from there.

Are there any strange noises coming from your computers hard drive?
    What version of windows are you running?

Thanks and good luck

3. thguy

thguy Valued Member

Also, send me a link to Microsoft's repair so I know what you have done so far.

Thanks

4. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

thguy,

I've just run a system restore and that has fixed the problem. Much simpler than trying to change the registry settings as per the advice that I obtained from Microsoft - and with the added advantage that it worked!

Many, many thanks for your help.

(I knew that if all else fails, you can always rely on MAP!)