Use of Japanese vs English terminology

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by aikiwolfie, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Can we have the Nihongo version as well please :p

2. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I think most of the questions come from terms not ordinarily used in Aikido. Terms that might be used more in Judo, Karate, Kendo, etc.

I say include everything we can in it. Just keep it well organized and allow for future updates.

3. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

If that's a Japanese version Dave feel free to contribute.

4. Dave Humm

Cheers wolfie, I was asking Steve if he'd include the Japanese text rather than just the romanised English, I don't know enough about the language to be able to accurately contribute to that part of the list.

5. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

That would be awesome.

Me worries that if all that is done, maybe it ought not be free ;)

6. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

*rubs chin*

Hmmm, now there's an idea!

7. Dave Humm

OOh.. that's gone an' done it ! :p

8. Kogusoku

Hyah hyah hyah! :D

9. prowla

prowla Valued Member

From where I'm sitting, written Japanese looks rather boring - it's just displayed as a sequence of squares!

10. Lily

Lily Valued Member

I'm not an aikidoka but I'm glad to see tensions have generally eased on this thread. It made me sad initially to read the first few pages of this thread because I really hold aikidoka in high-esteem for their conduct and sincerity. Between some of the aikidoka on this forum there must be a few centuries of experience and learning, I'm in awe of that. I'm just an uncivilised jitsuka who likes to crack things over people's head :D

Sensei Kogusoku :) I hope we get some jujutsu terminology in the glossary (please?).

11. Dave Humm

You need to enable "install on demand" through your browser options or, manually install a Japanese language pack appropriate to the browser software your using. The squares are there because your browser software is presently unable to display Japanese.

Regards

12. prowla

prowla Valued Member

Yep - I know. :)
    But I don't like to have my machine set to install things on demand, run ActiveX, automatic updates, and so-on.
    (And besides, the characters would be meaningless to me even if displayed! :rolleyes: )

13. Dave Humm

So what was the point of your post ?

14. Kogusoku

Please for the love of God, call me either Steve or my MAP handle, Kogusoku. I don't even let my students in the dojo call me that.

What say the aikidoka who use this forum? Add jujutsu terms or no? It does have some bearing on the historical origins of aikido.

15. Dave Humm

Fine with me mate.. :)

16. prowla

prowla Valued Member

Could've been a subtle hint that the clever use of Japanese chars in your signature is based on a flawed assumption.
    I think they only appeared recently, perhaps even whilst the discussion about the use of Japanese terms was in full flight earlier in this thread?

17. Dave Humm

Of course, but only to those who's browsers don't characterise Nihongo, but then I don't expect that, people make choices in life, mine in this case is to have Japanese in my signature and profile, yours is to not have your browser capable of reading such.
    Indeed Sir ! But you could have made that point, together with the content of your most recent post, before, couldn't you. So again, what point do you wish to make ?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2006
  18. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

When ya put people that high on a pedistool (did I spell that right?) they tend to fall off.
    My bokken has a habbit of doing that too ... even when it's not supposed to ... it's like a head seeking bokken :p
    Like I said it's up to you. You're doing the hard work. I'm more like the fat controller ;)

19. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

Steve

Please include the terms from Daitoryu Aikijujutsu etc which you feel have a bearing on Aikido.

I am told, for example that Yoshinkan (yonkaJO etc) terminology derives from that root.

Hey, we're grateful for whatever you are able to give. Domo Arigato Sensei ;)

(Well, in this case you are the 'one who has gone before'! :) )

Jeez, hope my spelling was OK (couldn't manage the Gozeimashite bit at all :( )

20. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

Aikiwolfie -

We had a delivery of very good red oak weapons a few years ago. One of the beginners (now 3rd Dan!) was so enthusiastic he picked up a heavy bokkuto and raised it. Not knowing just how heavy these can be, his sweep went right back over his head and (you guessed it) smacked straight into the cranium of his Sensei.

Now the PC version of this would be that the Sensei shrugged it off and laughed.
    Nope, he had a huge angry roar at the imbecile and told him off good and proper - well, he was a teacher by day, so it figures.... :)

On the Japanese language issue: 'bokkuto' to me is a very heavy wooden practice sword, much larger than a bokken. Yet Google seems to show the term as relevant for pretty much any 'practice sword'.

What d'yall think? :)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2006