Use of Japanese vs English terminology

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by aikiwolfie, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Quoted from a friend of mine currently studying in Japan.

Regards

2. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

We used the sageo itself looped around the obi as security for the saya. This allows the range of freedom of movement for the saya to be varied. I've never seen a saya secured in this way come loose, but thanks for the info from your friend about the saguri.

I write that above to show how much simpler and quicker it is to use the Japanese terms for common items, in contrast with the contribution via Dave, where it was assumed an esoteric term would need translation. Common sense usually wins out! :)

3. Dave Humm

For those not knowing the Japanese terms mentioned in the last two posts; just so you don't feel left out:-

Iaijutsu Combative form of sword drawing.
    Sageo Cord used to secure sword.
    Saya Sword Scabbard.
    Saguri Scabbard retaining hook.
    Nihonto Japanese Sword.
    Wakazashi Short Sword.

Regards

Last edited: Sep 25, 2006
  4. Dave Humm

Indeed, you will see sageo sword cord tied in different places through the himo straps of hakama divided skirt like garment from different Ryu schools or methods, if you look at Muso Shinden Ryu 夢想神伝流 A style developed according to a divine vision seen in a dream , sageo is tied on or about the right hip, same with Seitei Iai standard form sword drawing, some schools of Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu 無雙直傳英信流 peerless, directly transmitted, true-faith style however tie sageo on the left hip and loop the sageo over the saya sword scabbard in doing so.

In contrast, Tenshinsho-den Katori Shinto Ryu 天真正伝香取神道流 direct from heaven the true (proper) teaching - Katori is a Shinto shrine has sageo attached to the saya yet it is only passed behind the saya its self and left hanging. Then again many schools don't use sageo at all. The British Kendo Association went through a series of 'sageo on/sageo off' in addition to the reigi dojo ettiquette associated with positioning the sword during to-rei bowing to the sword.. ha cutting edge of a sword facing in (or out) kurigata cord retaining loop on scabbard on top (or underneath).

Regards

5. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Does Nihonto refer to a particular type of sword or is it a more general term :confused:

A book I just picked up, "Japanese Swordsmanship by Gordon Warner and Donn F. Draeger" ISBN 0-8348-0236-8, would seem to indicate that a Nihon-to is a Japanese sword made in the traditional manner only. Is that accurate or am I reading it wrong :confused:

6. Dave Humm

Nihon - 日本 = Japan

To - 刀 = Sword

Japanese Sword.

Naturally for a sword to be "Japanese" it should ideally be made in Japan otherwise it’s a reproduction of a Japanese sword (no matter how accurate or high quality the reproduction actually is) But that would be pedantic to argue semantics.

I have two swords made by a Japanese apprenticed smith yet they were made outside of Japan, are these any less "Japanese swords" ? From a purists point of view yes, but within the reality of every day usage they are every bit 'Japanese' as those forged in Japan.

If your using "Japanese Swordsmanship by Gordon Warner and Donn F. Draeger" as a reference point, then you are indeed reading from a purists point of view.

Regards

7. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Thanks for the info :)

8. Dave Humm

doitashimaste - You're welcome

9. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

Quote Dave Humm: 'Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu 無雙直傳英信流 peerless, directly transmitted, true-faith style however tie sageo on the left hip and loop the sageo over the saya sword scabbard in doing so.'

That was the style I practised. Over the saya, under towards the body and up to loop around the obi in front of the point where the saya is inserted in the obi. Keeping a thumb on the tsuba (guard) helps prevent amputations, as I've seen swords fall out during this process - and seen one guy try to stop it by catching hold of the falling live blade!

Aikiwolfie & others interested in learning about sword arts (and some of the terminology Koyo uses in talking tactics), here's a few other books I found useful:

The Art of Japanese Swordsmanship by Nicklaus Suino (pub. Weatherhill)
    Iai The Art of Drawing the Sword by Darrell Craig (pub. Tuttle)
    Sword & Brush by Dave Lowry (pub. Shambhala)
    (analysis of Martial Spirit & Japanese terms)
    The manual of the Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu school of Iai (members only so ask around)

10. Dave Humm

Oh yeh.. :eek: the sword I normally use is very slack at the koiguchi carp's mouth - opening of the scabbard I have to remember to keep control on the tsuba hand guard at all times.

At summer school this year we halted to watch Sensei one who has gone before demonstrate waza technique and as I made a shallow bow to acknowledge the instruction I was horrified to see my sword slowly sliding out the saya scabbard. Time that went to have the scabbard shimmed out me thinks.

Regards

11. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Carp? I thought we were talking about sword play, not fishing. :confused:

Gone where? Are you saying that the blue belt in my class is a sensei? Really? :eek:

12. Dave Humm

:rolleyes: stop taking drugs mate. Just say NO!

13. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Don't touch my mustache? :confused:

You're welcome, it was nothing, don't mention it...

14. Dave Humm

Picks up a broken bokken and smacks Rebel up the side of his head ! :p

15. aikiMac

Seriously dude, are the blue belts in your dojo called "sensei" ? At my dojo they're not called "sensei." At my school only the teachers are called "sensei," because we all believe that sensei means teacher, and blue belts are not teachers.

16. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Rebel yells, "Oh my gosh a mouse!" and leaps high into the air, causing the bokken to actually whiff harmlessly through the air under Rebel's feet. :love:

Rebel then kicks some random Aikidoka in the head because... oh wait, wrong thread. :p

17. Dave Humm

gomen wakarimasen ? ;)

18. Dave Humm

Mac.. Sensei does not mean teacher in Japanese, it contextually refers to a person (ANYONE) who has walked the path of life before someone else and may have experiences to share. it is an honourific term so often misused and misunderstood by those in the west.

Teachers, Doctors, Japanese Mafia all use the term.

19. aikiMac

You didn't answer the question, but impliedly you are affirming that blue belts at your dojo are called sensei.

If this was in the General Discussion forum people would now conclude that your dojo is a McDojo.

20. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

We used Sempai for senior, Sensei was blackbelt or higher instructor. What is the term "sempai" used for in Japan?