unrealistic attacks

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Jordan, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Jordan

Jordan Valued Member

Who and why whould anyone do ushiro tekubatori, katatori?

2. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Someone who knew what it is?

Hint: That means I don't know what your on about ;)

Reads like 'reverse wrist something or other'.

EDIT: Grabbing the wrist from behind! Its concievable somebody may do that to turn you around into a punch (although grabbing the shoulder's more likely) or trying to stop you from moving away from them.

Col

Last edited: Feb 28, 2004
  3. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

Actually, when I was a waitress at a truck stop it was very common for the guys to wait until you passed and then grab your wrist as you walked by to get you to come over to them. The sober guys who just wanted coffee just needed to be asked not to grab, it was the drunk guys that wanted you on thier laps that you needed to know how to deal with.

4. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

You were workin as a waitress in a cocktail bar, when I met you........ :p

5. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

Mr. Murray, sir - you are ruining my reputation! Cocktail bar indeed! It was a trucker dive and I have witnesses to prove it! ;)

6. Andy Murray

Don't you want me baby?

Don't you want me Ooooh o o ooh? :D

Ask Jim if you don't get the lyrics. ;)

7. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

Ooops, you must remember I run a cultural deficit!

8. Andy Murray

Just admit you're Canadian, then everyone will understand! :D

9. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

guilty as charged! I AM CANADIAN! Classic pick-up line in Canada "hey baby, want to jump on the back of my dogsled and check out my igloo?" Not exactly scope for cultural enlightenment. :D

And sorry to Jordan for making his thread silly!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2004
  10. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Hmm I found an old grading syllabus somebody gave me a while back. According to it Ushiro Tekubitori is holding wrists from behind. Well it's conceivable that someone might try to force your arm up your back or both arms even. So that's not unrealistic.

According to the same syllabus katatori is holding the shoulder. If sombodys going to grab or push you the shoulders a good candidate for a target. So that ones not unrealistic.

11. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

A couple of questions to save me wasting my time

1) Do you present your question based upon your study from a realistic point of veiw?

2) What form of Aikido do you study ?

Iwama
    Aikikai
    Yoshinkan
    Tomiki/Shodokan

12. DexterTCN

DexterTCN New Member

Grabbing one wrist from behind, grabbing 2, grabbing hair or cloth, punching, twisting, kicking, kneeling, bokken, kiai, bowing, tanto, 2 attackers....

Who knows why we do it. :confused:

For me, ushiro tekubatori (or whatever) is a rush attack...designed to flummox you and make you lose all composure (and centre). But most 'real' attacks are designed to do that.

Why not do it?

13. Gravity

Gravity New Member

Please understand the context..

Understand that Aikido is grounded in sword techniques. Even its empty hand techniques are patterned after sword wielding. The technique just described "ushiro tekubitori" or wrist grab from behind is a real attack in feudal and pre-war Japan when almost everyone wore katanas (japanese term for sword). Such an attack would have prevented a warrior (or samurai) from drawing his katana.

So to answer your question, ushiro tekubitori is unrealistic only now in modern society because hardly anyone carry swords anymore. But who knows... there is still that possibility that your wrists can be grabbed from behind.
    :D

14. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

A girl i know used to work in a restaurant and she would get grabbed all the time. She IS rather attractive. Anyway, one time this yuppie (snooty rich kid) grabbed her arm from behind and she slipped, dropped piping hot food over his head, and dropped the tray we believe on his nuts.
    To this day she swears it was unintentional.

Those kind of people who treat other like that, deserves it.