Unofficial Japan Travel advisory

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Ace of Clubs, Mar 31, 2010.

1. krevon

krevon Valued Member

Just out of curiosity for the folks that have lived there, are college degrees earned in America honored there? Like could I get a job doing engineering drawings there?

2. noname

noname Valued Member

:)

so, what do you do if you have to cut something?

like a seat-belt, for instance.....

3. The Unholy

The Unholy Banned Banned

It depends. Credited colleges generally are accepted AFAIK. But for something that requires certification, I can't answer.

4. benkyoka

benkyoka one million times

If you are buying a Nihonto (traditionally made blade) then you need an export permit from the cultural ministry. While this can be a pain in the ass of a process if you are doing it yourself, there is a good chance that the person selling you the blade would already prepared this paperwork. Once you get the export permit you have a limited amount of time to get the blade out of the country, due to it now being de-registered, and if it doesn't go, you risk losing it.

If buying a mogito/iaito some sellers will have a document that they include with the blade to allow it pass customs without a problem. If you don't have such paperwork, you may be pulled aside at Narita and asked to show them the blade and they will have to decide on the spot whether it is what you claim it is.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  5. Linds

Linds Valued Member

So uh, don't break the law. Why does this even need saying?

6. The Unholy

The Unholy Banned Banned

Well, there are a few things about the law that need to be understood. Things like the need for an ID at all times. I didn't mention that but it is important to always have your passport or a valid Japanese ID card on you. That is not something people visiting most nations really think or worry about. I have had friends, intelligent ones, not know this and leave their passports in a safe location. But when some nosy police asked to see their ID they were hauled down to the station until the passports could be brought to them.

You are right in that most of these things should not need to be said. But this is the Bujinkan after all. I remember ranting and raving a few years back after seeing an announcement on George Ohashi's site saying that people should not show up for class drunk. And yes, it was up there because of an incident.

I do like a lot of people in the Bujinkan, I really do. But there are some idiots that need to be treated like the stupid scum they are.

7. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

Reminding someone that they need to carry a form of ID at all times in Japan is important, but some of these things are almost insulting.

Of course, people who want to act like total morons will act like total morons whether you till them the rules or not.

8. Ace of Clubs

Ace of Clubs Banned Banned

No you can't. Japan is a crazy country, even in business, and if you don't understand Japanese business you can't work in that field (even if you have the proper qualifications).

To work in a Japanese firm you need what is called Business Japanese, which is a national test which tests your Japanese fluency. For Business Japanese you need to know all the honorary Japanese terms and how to address people with higher standing and all that other bs. You also need to know a fair few Kanji, know how to read and write etc etc. They don't care how good you are or if you are qualified, only how Japanese you are and if you can work in a Japanese environment.

Foreign firms are different, so I think that would be a better option.

I have two degrees but the only thing I can get out here is teaching English because I haven't taken the Japanese proficiency test.

9. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

Speaking of Japan travel.

I've booked a last minute trip. I'll be arriving Saturday (the 3rd).

Anyone want to meet for a beer?

10. benkyoka

benkyoka one million times

I have never heard of a Business Japanese fluency test.

11. Manga

Manga Moved On

Benkyoka said - "If buying a mogito/iaito some sellers will have a document that they include with the blade to allow it pass customs without a problem. If you don't have such paperwork, you may be pulled aside at Narita and asked to show them the blade and they will have to decide on the spot whether it is what you claim it is."

I've experienced this myself. The staff at Narita were very polite and knew the drill from experience. They examined the mogito, checked them with magnets, and bundled them with security tape into the boxes. They were then put into the hold with the other luggage (I had nightmares about them being crushed under someone's suitcases!) When I arrived home, they were brought to me personally at luggage claim which was a nice surprise. I don't know if that's the norm though.

One bit of advice. When you get stopped at Narita for your items to be checked and they ask you what martial art you practice, do not say "Bujinkan" or "Ninjutsu" or "I'm a ninja" or anything of that nature. Don't even say "Budo Taijutsu". Say "Kendo". It's something they understand and your passage through customs will be smoother. The first time round, I said "Bujinkan" and then had to explain for absolutely ages. The second time round I said "Kendo" and sailed through.

12. The Unholy

The Unholy Banned Banned

I have. I have never heard of it being a requirement for a job. But then again, I have been able to show that I speak and read Japanese to any employer.

My observation is that a lot of people stay in Japan for years without learning the language. When they try to get new jobs, the Japanese wonder what type of person would live in a country and not try to learn how to communicate with everyone around them. They are looked down upon.

On the other hand, the guys who go to Japan without knowing anything, spend a few years teaching English and get fairly good at Japanese through hard work and study get a lot more doors opened for them.

13. Ace of Clubs

Ace of Clubs Banned Banned

14. Dale Seago

Dale Seago Matthew 7:6

That's what I do when I have weapons along. During the "Juppo Sessho" theme year, though, I also had wooden training kunai and those threw 'em for a loop for a bit, until one said something to the others ending with "Ninja desu!"

They then politely sent me on my way.

15. OrangutanAttack

OrangutanAttack Keeping BBT&BJJ seperate

This is why I do not ever take training tools to Japan.

I also just simply explain my keiko dogi by saying I do Jujutsu.

16. kevin g

kevin g Valued Member

I brought an iaito through Narita pretty easily, as well as hanbo and bokuto - someone told me, "don't tell them it's an iaito, they immediately hear 'to' and think it's a shinken", so I just said mogito and sailed through. I only left with those and a fukuro shinai, no steel, so no problems. I wouldn't even bother trying to buy a real blade in Japan. I'm happy with a Cheness, Cold Steel or Paul Chen.

17. Sandstorm

Sandstorm Valued Member

LOL Are you wearing your keiko gi when you get off of the plane?

18. liero

liero Valued Member

So I can pull out weapons on the train in most countries?

19. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

I think there comes a point where people give warnings not to prevent accidents, but to avoid being labelled negligent when the accidents inevitably happen.

You've all seen the sort of people drawn to the ninja image. The Bujinkan as a whole is very accessible and appealing for that sort. Can you imagine Mountainous or his action-figure loving buddy from SoCal on a train to Noda?

20. Nick Mandilas

Nick Mandilas Resistance is an option..