Understand? good now play!(Understand the Art!)

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by DrUnKNiNjA, Dec 6, 2003.

1. DrUnKNiNjA

DrUnKNiNjA New Member

Good idea Ronin, the master only teaches 50% of what he knows to his student because there is alot of trust in this art if you its just like giving a gun to a physco! the only reason why the art still gets passed on is because he teaches one student that he trusts deeply usually a family member but odd cases have been to a special student, and then that student carries on the tradition....... as for the other question its just as i said before you dont want to give a loaded gun to a physco its easier to defeat a un fully trained physco then a fully trained one!!:)

2. SilentNightfall

SilentNightfall Eien no Ninja

I happen to believe that it is about teaching about 50% of what you know to those who come for what you know, but teach the rest to those who stay long enough to prove their worth and loyalty. It is a way of filtering out, as DrUnK said, psychos and the like.

3. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

In your opinion- If you put a trained Samurai against a trained Ninja in a sword fight. Who do you think would win and with what skills?

4. DrUnKNiNjA

DrUnKNiNjA New Member

thats why hatsumi's qoute's are so meaningful..... everyone has their own understanding of them, thats what i told ronin in the chat before i posted this!

5. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Do you do any type of conditioning in Bujinkan and so on?

6. DrUnKNiNjA

DrUnKNiNjA New Member

I believe it would be a very good match, have you ever seen the movie "the hunted," with christopher lambert well i would believe the ninja would win they were really "sneaky" if i dare use the word, but you never know....... good question!

7. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

But with the only weapon is a sword and your hands and feet?

8. DrUnKNiNjA

DrUnKNiNjA New Member

as i said before it would be pretty even..... if anyone else has a better answer, instead of the obvious " duh the ninja would win :p " please feel free, i wish the ninja would win too dont get me wrong but the history of both make them pretty even!!

9. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

To rephrase it and under stand it better. -

Do you think Ninjitsu's sword work could stand to Kenjutsu and Iai-do.

Both the Samurai and Ninja have just sword, hands, and feet.

10. DrUnKNiNjA

DrUnKNiNjA New Member

is Ninja skill with sword able to go against Samurai training?

as i said before it would be pretty even.

The ninja are taught the warrior skills same with the samurai some are the same others are different!

Warrior skills of the ninja:

taiso (body conditioning)
    taijutsu (unarmed combat arts)
    bojutsu (stick fighting arts)
    tantojutsu (knife fighting arts)
    kenjutsu (sword fighting arts)
    kusarifundojutsu (short wieghted chain arts)
    kyoketsu shoge (cord and dagger weapon arts)
    kusarigamma (chain and sickle weapon arts)
    bisento (battlefield halberd arts)
    yarijutsu (spear fighting arts)
    hojutsu (firearm arts)
    ninki (specialized ninja tools)
    heiho (combat strategy)
    gotonpo (use of natural elements for evasion)
    meiso (meditation)
    shinpi (concepts of mysticism)

i dont know all the samurai skills so i wont post them but if someone else can i bet they would be pretty even

11. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

So, what is Taiso?

12. DrUnKNiNjA

DrUnKNiNjA New Member

to answer your question on conditioning Ronin we do taiso wich as i said above is body conditioning (arms, wrists, legs, etc. "the body!!!!")

13. DrUnKNiNjA

DrUnKNiNjA New Member

man i say,"as i said before alot". lol :)

14. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

A lot of posts in this thread since yesterday! It's really good having you back, Kurohana, your knowledge and experience were missed around here.

DrUnKNiNjA, you had asked about my injuries -- I've always had bad knees, even when I was a skinny kid. Last winter, I fell off my deck (stepping off what I thought was the last step; it wasn't -- couldn't tell because of all the snow); that made it worse. That, plus the usual ravages of age on the joints. I have some evidence of ligament tearing, but not enough to warrant surgery (had an MRI). I take glucosamine chondroitin, but am willing to consider any exercises that will strengthen muscles around the knee. For now, I'm not supposed to kneel, squat, run or jump (there goes tobi!)

A few months ago, I ruptured a bicep in class (leg trap gone bad); that is getting better (I've been back in class for a while now), but I have some loss of strength and range of motion in that arm. Certain ukemi (especially katate kaiten and most of the koho's) aggravate the shoulder portion of that injury. I'll get away with one koho kaiten, for example, but trying to do a series of them across the dojo is more or less asking for trouble.

Third problem is a permanent disability -- inner ear disorder which leads to occasional vertigo. Worst offenders are mai kaiten and katate kaiten; curiously, I don't have this problem at all with koho.
    I'd welcome any suggestions you might have for exercises!

15. Kagebushi

Kagebushi New Member

to drunkninja's post on page 1
    dodging a downward sword slash or a front kick to the midsection

16. DrUnKNiNjA

DrUnKNiNjA New Member

is that a question or an answer? Kagebushi

17. DrUnKNiNjA

DrUnKNiNjA New Member

Kinjiro if the doctor says if your not supposed to kneel, squat, run or jump then there is little i can help you with, as for the bicep there is an old way of strengthening it and making your punches more powerful, ( you first need to find small square pillow, sandbag, piece of foam or if your upto it nothing, if you have one of the above attach it to the wall...[ duct tape works wonders for a pillow but not for your wall] then punch the pillow, and hold it there pushing into the wall for a 100 count then do it again and again till it hurts or is tired, then switch hands, and when you have completed this rest for a day and repeat the process..... after about a week you should have built some reflex muscle wich is a lot stronger than toning muscle and it stays muscle for longer too!!, the reason why it gives you more powerfull punches is that when you hit something solid it blocks you from commiting fully, now try hitting something soft like a human that isnt solid and you should be able to knock him flat out!!! keep doing the exercise and i bet you will see great results) everyone try this and tell me what you think! i have seen improvements but everyone is different....

18. DrUnKNiNjA

DrUnKNiNjA New Member

Kagebushi i get what you meant from page one, its a stepping dodge, ninjas didnt really slide there feet like in chinese arts, Ninjutsu is supposed tobe a silent art so sliding isteps aren't used very much. i hope this answer helps...:)

19. DrUnKNiNjA

DrUnKNiNjA New Member

most dodges for swords are stepping in, and kicks to the side.

20. Zamfoo

Zamfoo Valued Member

well as drunkninja said sword and body attacks are different. Defending against a sword your only goal is to get out of the way of the blade. With a front kick you can just step to the side(avoiding) and then counter like a catch or something