UK concealed carry laws?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by seiken steve, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Sikhs only carry swords on certain religious processions - and then it's only a few individuals. The dagger which is one of the five symbols of the Khalsa brotherhood is in this country either a tiny little token thing rather like a fruit knife or else just a knife-shaped brooch.

2. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Most Sikhim I know have a 3.5" blade on their Kirpan, some Sikhs can use the Kara bracelet as a sort of knuckle duster though.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I have one of these Dirks in my sights for a purchase....

[​IMG]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4n9TI7Y7Sc&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4n9TI7Y7Sc&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

4. jazzysingh

jazzysingh Valued Member

i know someone who did use his Kara as a duster, broke a cheek bone, and was sentenced to 3 yrs. So its hardly worth it, I havent given the background of the story but, if misused then expect to spend time. I hardly wear any of mine, i am not so religious.

5. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

That's interesting. Personally, I have never known a Sikh who carries an actual knife. Maybe it's only the ones who live in Glasgow! ;)

6. adouglasmhor

Birmingham and Luton too in my experience, I have met some who had the little badge or even a symbol on their comb instead though.

I admit I am much more interesed in the nice veggie food at the Gurdwara though.

7. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

If I lived in Luton I'd probably carry a knife too.

I love lunga (sp?) the bananary stuff they serve inside the Gurdwara. Mmmm...... :love:

8. slapjitsu

slapjitsu Banned Banned

when I worked in court security they search just about everyone comming in through the front door, some sikh gents had quite big knifes in a kind of shoulder strap under their coats or jackets, and apparently thats ok.

9. growandthrow

growandthrow New Member

I was jumped by a guy once when i was a kid and I smashed an unopened coke can into his nose to facilitate my escape. He fell to his knees and i legged it.

Often wondered what the outcome would have been if he'd have pressed charges?

10. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Are you saying that you allowed people into a court with large knives concealed under their coats? :eek:

11. adouglasmhor

Are you saying he had any right to stop them?

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Hell yes!

13. Teflon

Teflon Valued Member

Sikh's all over the place carry the knives. There are many, many Kara designs that can easily be used as knuckle dusters, often when there's a group of young Sikh lads roaming the streets they'll be wearing these regardless of whether they're religious or not. Im not sure of the legal ramifications if somebody gets hit by one while its worn on the wrist, but the ones intent on using them as weapons remove them and hold them in a fist literally as a duster.

14. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I don't know what his duties entail, but I would have assumed that not letting people bring weapons into a courtroom might have been one of them.

15. adouglasmhor

He was told otherwise when the Sikhs turned up, had you missed that?
    I would assume that the right to carry for religious reasons or national dress reasons in UK law applies all over the UK in public buildings (which courts are), private buildings are another matter. My dad wore his sgian dhu as part of Highland day dress at a royal garden party; no one even gave it a second glance including The Queen's equerry, the security, Various Lord Lieutenants or Brenda herself.

16. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Possibly. As far as I can see, all he said was 'apparantly that's OK'. Which is what I'm querying, because I wouldn't have thought that it was OK for anyone to carry a big knife under their coat.

I know that it is one of the requirements for a Khalsa Sikh to carry a knife, but it is also a requirement of all Sikhs to obey the law of the land and to fit into the society in which they live. That is why even the most devout Sikhs will normally either substitute the knife with a knife-shaped brooch or else just carry a very small knife that is too small to be classed as an offensive weapon. The idea some people seem to have that all Sikhs are wandering around with huge daggers under their coats is comical.

Would I be right in thinking that a sgian dhu wouldn't be classed as an offensive weapon even if it wasn't worn as part of formal highland dress, or is my understanding of the law as hopelessly out of date as my dress sense and my taste in music?

17. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

He jumped you, and you didnt carry the coke can as a weapon so i'd guess you'd get away with that.

18. slapjitsu

slapjitsu Banned Banned

Yes, because it is of religious significance its ok to carry a Kirpan and up to 3 (no more than three) big turban pins (not sure if thats the correct name for them but you get the idea). Despite metal detecting all people exept a uniformed police offcier who presents his warrant card. They could carry the Kirpan and hat pins if they were 'devout' so if you were of the right colour, had long hair, turban, steel bracelet, special comb and I was told but never felt the need to check...........special pants! (under wear or shorts for the Americans) you could carry enough to arm 4 people for a tear up. The only proviso was that the dagger has to be covered.
    But when I checked with a court bailif, and my line manager it is the case and its ok cos they wont pull the dagger unless they mean to use it!
    To the court service this is ok, I was wearing my stab vest all that week despite it being sunny.
    Unsuprisingly it was a moot point as there was zero trouble relating to that case.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2012
  19. slapjitsu

slapjitsu Banned Banned

and if you showed up with a dagger in your sock, or any legal pocket knife or 'I have a reasonable excuse' for this sharp and pointed or handy cosh thing you could pick it up on the way back out. if it was on our list of offensive weapons it would be confiscated and you would be given a recipt for it.
    We would then snap, bend, break or other wise wreck your beloved EDC and safley dispose of the bits.
    We never nicked em for personal use, maily because most were crap and i have better hardware anyway.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  20. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Mod reminder...

Profanity (masked or otherwise) is against the ToS, please remember this when posting.