UK Car(s) Question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Tosh, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Right guys, heres hoping you can be of some service here.

Next month I start a new job which will require me to get my own set of wheels.

I'm looking for something in the budget 7-9k region (pref 0% finance) and won't complain about a reasonable amount of distance driving regulalry.

Any body got any suggestion on what to test drive or what to avoid. I quite like the Peugoet 307 but have heard nightmare service stories so am getting less keen.

Any ideas?

2. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

How much are astras? I've always found them to be very reliable.

3. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

4. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Vauxhall Corsa's and the Mazda range come highly recommended from me as nice cars.

The Mazda 2 is nice if you want a small car, as is the Corsa.

What kinda of car are you looking for? Large, small, economic, flashy??

5. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Small Ecomnomic (with decent engine options) As long as doesn't look like a a turd on 4 wheels it's flashy enough for me.

I quite like Mazda's but I've never been the same since Men Behazing badly and the "You, Mazda" * followed by various hand up and down motions*. :(

6. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Brand new Astra out May/June getting good reviews.

Good deals to be had on Focus's, as a new model is imminent, seriously check out the Skoda Fabia though.

No matter how tempting, leave Rover alone!

7. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Already been tempted but figure it's not worth the risk/price and no doubt subsequent points on my licence :D

8. Andy Murray

Little Rovers Transverse engine prone to all kinds of problems.

Had one myself.

S/H Golf worth a look, as they hold residual value well, and in many ways the MKIV is better made than the MK V.

9. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Anybody got any views on SEAT's?

Not really heard a lot about them. :confused:

10. Andy Murray

All the same group.

Skoda
    Seat
    VW
    Audi

Quality/cost goes up with each perceived change of brand, though in some ways Skoda has better build qualities than Seat, and Seat has better options than VW. All a numbers game so you find something to suit within these four brands.

Buy 'What Car' magazine for reference.

11. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

*off to the shops*

Cheers, keep the advice comming guys,

It's jungle out there, some times I wonder how I keep from going under ;)

12. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

www.costco.co.uk

Get on there and check out the pre-registered puntos. For that price you could get one in mid-high range with all mod cons. There's tons of cars out there in this price range, all of em have their problems in the end. Have come across very few with puntos.

13. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Have to say that the car I use most regulalry is an Punto Active Sport 1.2. I do like it but feel there just a little missing in the "punch" dept. I preferred the older Punto for that aspect. I do have the 16v version on my choice list ;)

14. natxanadu

natxanadu Banned Banned

i like rovers, been thinking of getting a 200 or 400, you think they are no good ?

15. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

The big ass Megane!

16. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Megane, also on said list ;)

Wouldn't mind a VW Golf but they are *just* outside the price range, maybe if I haggle I could get 'em down.

What the current opinion on New vs Used cars at the moment?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2004
  17. iain radford

iain radford taekwondododo

personally id go for a audi a3 or vw golf.good all round carstdi models r awsome

18. iain radford

iain radford taekwondododo

cars

ive had a rover 400 and i wasnt impressed,it didnt like puddles.at the moment we av got a nissan terrano and its great.starts up every time and goes like a woman :eek:

19. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

My Dad had a 1.6 Sri Primera and it was a nice car, suspension was the first thing to go after about 5 years "hard" work.

He now owns a 1.2 Stilo, it's like Superman without his powers.

"I have the cape, yet I cannot fly" :D

Last edited: Mar 19, 2004
  20. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Big ass Megane - love it! I want my missus to trade in her poxy 800cc Daewoo Matiz for one :D

[​IMG]