UFC Reality TV

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Mushroom, Jan 9, 2005.

1. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

:eek: i just realized that Chris Leban and Randy Couture WORK TOGETHER at an MMA gym in portlan oregon!!!!!!! talk about some favoratism.

check out www.tqfc.com and look at staff. leban is a personal trainer and Randy is a team trainer. TALK ABOUT FAVORATISM!!!!!!!!!!

2. Splush

Splush Valued Member

double post

Last edited: Feb 9, 2005
  3. Splush

Splush Valued Member

I saw both Chris and Nathan on there.

4. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

oh, i didn't see nathan.

5. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

From what I remember; Couture mentioned on the show that Leben was his student.

6. Wesker

Wesker Professional Lurker

Question : Why did Diego wait so long to apply the RNC? He had Alex's back for a good 10-15 seconds. Why did he wait? Did he want to pummel Alex and soften him up?

7. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

At first, Alex was moving backwards, and applying the rear naked choke would have been difficult, nigh on impossible because alex's head was next to Diego's sternum; and his arms and shoulders were up. Other than that, it just looked like he was sofening him up, getting a strong position and waiting for the right time to stretch him out and go for the choke.

8. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Yuki nailed it
    I really wanted Alex to knock Diego out, something about that guy really winds me up :woo:
    I actually warmed to Leben a bit with last weeks ep - the guy may be a plonker, but he called out the other team's strongest middleweight because it would've been a better fight. So far all the fights have been mismatches with one guy being a lot heavier and/ or more experienced.
    Tonights episode looks like a good one from the trailer

9. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

lol yeah :) I'm looking forward to the next episode :) it does look quite intriguing.

Chris Leben does come across as a plonker; but there's no denying that he's a true fighter.

10. Jester

Jester I elbow, therefore I am.

I hated Chris in the beginning but now I hope he kills them all. I never liked Diego or Josh. Not for nothing I would have been kicked off the show if they hit me with the hose. It was pretty funny seeing Chris "hulk" up though :) Next week should be sweeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Jester.

11. Chris_sirhC

Chris_sirhC 6th Kyu, Yoshinkan Aikido

I think there going to have to keep a very close eye o next weeks match... Just get the impression chris is out to hurt him bad and rightfully so.

Personally I like the guy. Yeah hes a bit of a **** at time but in terms of ability and willingness I've never seen him back down. Had they done that to me I'd be out for blood too... the only difference between me and Leben is him being capable of following through with it *lol*.

12. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

I think Leben got a major taste of his own medicine last night, and did not like it at all. His behaviour over the past few weeks has undoubtedly made him somewhat of a target. Southworth's personal attacks on Leben were way out of line. Southworth and Koscheck's behaviour is just as bad as Leben's ever was.

Leben peed on Thacker's bed in episode 1, and this whole incident with the water hose appears to be karma at it's finest.

13. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

You also have to remember that the show is edited after the thing was shot. This way they could build their villains and heros very carefully. We really have no idea how bad/good Leben or Southworth really are. What we see are very carefully chosen incidents to portray certain "characters" to us so we will get interested and keep viewing. It is an MMA soap opera - not scripted but so well edited that it may as well have been.

Don't get me wrong, I like the show but if you are to base your opinion on a guy solely on what you see on TUF, just realise you are only getting the tip of the iceberg. Of course Leben does jerky, stupid stuff - he proved that in the first episode. But if you watch the other episodes you see he is also a hard working guy who really supports his teammates.

How many young guys haven't done something really stupid and obnoxious (talking about the "spritzing" episode here) when they were fish-faced drunk? And by the same token Bobby and Josh were totally out of line, but again - drunk. See a common denominator here? If UFC in all it's wisdom saw fit to provide these guys a night out on the town (under supervision of Dana, Chuck and Randy), watch them get stone cold drunk (to a dangerous level in Diego's case) and then send them back to a house FULL of UFC provided alcohol, can they really be surprised at the results?

But you have to give them credit...aren't we all just salivating for next week's episode? Mission accomplished. ;)

14. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

MAN. that was screwed up big time. i do'nt really like chris, but i hope he beats the crap out of josh, that was wrong, epecailly when he was wasted and specifically went outside so he wouldn't have to deal with the other people. although i would understand a retaliatory prank. but next weeks episode will be nice!!! i can't wait for the fight.

15. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

Exactly!!

16. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Mrs. Owt: I completely agree!

I am really enjoying the show and look forward to it every week. I personally love watching the training methods and the fights (and would like more of that than the soap-opera stuff... but that stuff brings in more interest and support for the mixed martial arts).

I only have a couple of issues:
    "Ultimate Fighter" is going to be a lot of young people's first impression of martial arts and may be something that gets them into training. To me, the show really highlights a really immature, ego-driven atmosphere where virtually no respect is shown to anyone. If any of my students acted that way at my school, they'd be shown the door. I hate to think that the next rising group of MMA stars are that immature and unprofessional. To me, the way the show is being portrayed does NOT represent martial artists... it represents paid fighters. At the risk of being flamed, I would argue there is a distinction. (And as a disclaimer - I think the way the show is editted is done specifially for this impression... for more interest)

Speaking of unprofessional... I cannot believe the chances these guys are taking. I know a lot of people (myself included) who would love to have the chance to train in that environment, with those trainers, and for those rewards. I don't think it's asking to much to expect professional behavior and hard work. If these guys have that much energy left over to cause trouble (like picking fights, busting up the house, fighting, etc.)... they aren't taking advantage enough of the training there! And getting drunk all the time before training... nice way to limit your opportunities! At the age and level these guys are, I am surprised at their lack of seriousness in using all of the opportunities there to their best advantages.

With that said, I can see why I wouldn't be worth ratings on the show. I'd be the older guy who trains until he's exhausted and then goes home for a hot shower, a big meal, and a lot of sleep... so I could do it again and again. Pretty boring for TV.

17. Jester

Jester I elbow, therefore I am.

Chuck was kinda funny too. "We're all fighters, we all have something wrong with us" :) The look on his face as he said that was priceless.

Jester.

18. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

Yes, I think for those who don't have a clue what MMA is they might start thinking is stands for 'Macho Male Arrogance' rather than 'Mixed Martial Arts'.

I just hope the editors have realised this and will redeem the characters...just like in all good stories :rolleyes: .

19. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I'm a huge fan of watching people train :) It's a real eye opener to the various training methods around.

This most recent episode sounds like a real good one :) I look forward to watching it :D

20. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

I just hope, when it is all over, they come out with a DVD set that has a lot of the training stuff that is edited out from the one hour TV show. They must have hundreds of hours of these guys training. Hopefully we will get a glimpse into more of Randy and Chuck's training practices. UFC could make a bundle off of a boxed set with lots of training stuff included.