UFC 87

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by Tom O'Brien, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Tom O'Brien

Tom O'Brien Valued Member

UFC 87: AUGUST 9, 2008 IN MINNEAPOLIS
    venue: Target Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota

Main Card Bouts: My picks -
    -Georges St. Pierre vs. Jon Fitch
    -Kenny Florian vs. Roger Huerta
    -Brock Lesnar vs. Heath Herring
    -Demian Maia vs. Jason MacDonald
    -Manny Gamburyan vs. Rob Emerson

Preliminary Bouts:
    -Cheick Kongo vs. Dan Evensen
    -Andre Gusmao vs. Tomasz Drwal
    -Steve Bruno vs. Chris Wilson
    -Ben Saunders vs. Jared Rollins

GSP – all the way. Kenny always finds a way to win but it will not be easy with Roger. Brock should be more savvy now & with his strength he can beat Heath this time. I’ve always like Jason and if Manny’s shoulder holds up he should win. Why is Kongo in the prelims? The other guys I don’t know. More new blood coming up every day – can’t keep up.

Thanks,
    Tom

2. Tom O'Brien

Tom O'Brien Valued Member

C'mon guys don't hang me out to dry. make some picks so I don't look loke the only dummy.

Thanks,
    Tom

3. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

GSP- as long as he's got his head on straight, he's dominant, and as good as Fitch is I've seen him in trouble in a few of his fights.

I like Huerta more, but I think Florian has shown more tools, so I'm gonna give a slight edge to him. Potential fight of the night, though.

Herring's got tons more experience, but looked poor against O'Brien, and even Kongo was taking him down. Haven't seen much from Brock, but so far it looks like he hits hard, has a good scramble, is much bigger than Herring, and by all acounts can fight for days. We haven't seen how Lesnar reacts to being hit, but we know his sub defense is below-par. I'm not sure Herring is going to be slick enough to get a sub by itself, but if Lesnar falls apart after a few punches I can see him getting a TKO or maybe a sub after softening up the big guy. I still see Brock as having a better chance to win, though.

I'm going to go with Maia. These guys are both grapplers, and I think Maia's the more decorated of the two.

I'm also picking Manny. Emerson's a big Lightweight, so he may give Gamburyan some problems, but the little guy has got good subs, a smothering ground game, and an awful lot of power for his size. Barring injury I see him winning.

Not gonna pick the prelims, but I heard that Rollins was out, and replaced by another ATT guy, some fellow I haven't heard of before.

4. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

The UFC sparked my interest in MA but I've only watched it for about a year max, so I don't know quite a few of the fighters. So me personally I'm just looking forward to watching some people I havn't seen fight before. I'm looking forward to the lesnar match as well, he got shown up in his debut but he's could do good.

5. funnytiger

funnytiger Earthbender...

I made a prediction post on MMARated.com which can be read in full here, but to sum it up quickly here are my picks for the night:

-Georges St. Pierre vs. Jon Fitch (GSP)
    -Kenny Florian vs. Roger Huerta (Huerta)
    -Brock Lesnar vs. Heath Herring (Herring)
    -Manny Gamburyan vs. Rob Emerson (Gamburyan)
    -Demian Maia vs. Jason MacDonald (no pick)

:)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  6. Southpaw535

Defiantely St Pierre. No one seems to believe Lesnar will win though. I checked a poll on the tv listings and he's got like 93% votes to lose

7. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Main Card Bouts: My picks -
    -Georges St. Pierre vs. Jon Fitch GSP
    -Kenny Florian vs. Roger Huerta Huerta
    -Brock Lesnar vs. Heath Herring Herring
    -Demian Maia vs. Jason MacDonald No Pick
    -Manny Gamburyan vs. Rob Emerson No Pick

8. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

I understand why he would be a favorite but it's his sub defense that is/was a glaring hole against Mir. If he has learned from the Mir fight and can maintain dominant position he can end this fight quickly as he showed good ground and pound. Still, I have to go w/ Herring just because of his experience. That is, after all, why Frank won (not to mention the ref's stoppage and penalty of Lesnar).

Like the OP's other picks though. Sub card has too many new names for me to even guess.

9. liero

liero Valued Member

Lesnar=loose, he's only in the UFC as a novelty. I could find you a better fighter at my local watering hole on a friday night

10. Southpaw535

I havn't watched it long enough to have seen herring fight before so i can't really say. But from what I gather Lesnar hasn't humbled at all, he still thinks he can beat anyone.

HIs first MMA fight was pretty good, if quick. I think his problem is he hasn't actually got any MMA skills. He just took a load of steroids when he was a wrestler so he's got a lot of size.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2008
  11. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Georges St. Pierre vs. Jon Fitch (GSP)
    -Kenny Florian vs. Roger Huerta (Huerta)

-Kenny Florian vs. Roger Huerta should be the fight of the night,i think Huerta is one of the future stars of UFC if he can keep his focus.:)

12. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

-Georges St. Pierre vs. Jon Fitch
    GSP, hands down. Fitch is a tough guy, but GSP is the man until proven otherwise.

-Kenny Florian vs. Roger Huerta
    Same with Florian. Huerta's fight with Guida was epic and proved he's top tier, but Kenny Florian is a maniac in the gym, is smart, and has really amped up his stand up skills to match his world class grappling. Kenny's technical ability in both BJJ and Muay Thai are going to be the difference as he wins with what I believe will be relative ease.

-Brock Lesnar vs. Heath Herring
    Herring hasn't been the same since coming to the (largely) steroid free UFC. Brock Lesnar, on the other hand, has been training for months to improve his striking and submission skills. His physical ability is clear. He's agile and strong as a bull. It won't take long before he develops the skills he needs to become one of the guys to beat in the HW division.

-Demian Maia vs. Jason MacDonald
    This is my upset of the night. Demian Maia is unfamiliar to many MMA fans, but he's a veritable star in BJJ/Grappling, with wins over Jacare, Gabriel Gonzaga (if you can believe that size difference). The only grappler with more skills than Maia in the UFC right now is, maybe, BJ Penn. I think he'll pull out a win over The Athlete, although it's going to be a good fight.

-Manny Gamburyan vs. Rob Emerson
    I have to take Manny primarily for his willingness to engage his opponent and his tenacity. Rob Emerson trains down at No Limits and I'd like to root for anyone who trains BJJ with Juliano Prado (my instructor's instructor), but I just don't think that Rob is going to pull it out.

Preliminary Bouts:
    -Cheick Kongo vs. Dan Evensen
    This is a fight between two primarily stand up fighters. Unfortunately, I think Kongo is the better striker. I don't believe either have any grappling skill to speak of, but I might be wrong.

-Andre Gusmao vs. Tomasz Drwal
    Andre Gusmao is from the IFL. He's a great grappler, but is interesting because in addition to his black belt in BJJ, he's also one of the few Capoeristas around in MMA. He's been tremendously successful in the IFL and definitely belongs in the UFC. His capoeria gives him some unorthodox striking and his BJJ, under Renzo Gracie is very, very good. Never heard of the other guy, although looking him up it looks like his only fight against someone I've heard of is his last one, a loss against Thiago Silva.

-Steve Bruno vs. Chris Wilson
    I don't know a lot about either fighter, but I've seen Chris Wilson fight in the IFL out of Team Quest.

-Ben Saunders vs. Jared Rollins
    A couple of TUF alums going at it. I'm going to take Ben Saunders. He's a really tall guy whose main impression on me was that he looked like an in shape Ross from the TV show Friends. Jared Rollins was also on the show. He never impressed me in his fights, although he definitely looks mean. I'll go for the goofy looking guy who hasn't lost a fight I've watched, over the scary looking, Mr. T lookalike who hasn't won one a fight I've watched.

13. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Anyone know what the commotion was all about at the end?

During the GSP/Fitch fight you can clearly see Bruce Buffer looking around and speaking to someone via his microphone looking quite confused.
    The at the very end, during the interviews you can see Dana and Lorenzo very ****ed off at something, skulking around the ring with their hands on their hips..Joe Silver then goes up to Dana and shows something on his mobile phone which makes Dana look more peed off.
    When Joe finishes with GSP both Dana and Lorenzo went straight up to GSP and said something along the lines of (what i can lip read) "He's f-word run off over there..." then thats when my feed cut.

Any info? Cant find anything from Sherdog or other usual MMA forums.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2008
  14. old palden

old palden Valued Member

Definitely a little chaotic at the end, but it is a complex event to pull off, especially in an unknown venue.

Lesnar is a monster!!!!
    His size, speed and strength are frightening, and when his physical gifts are fused with his poise and obvious wrestling skill.... Well, he might allow himself to get caught in a lock as he did with Mir, but I don't see anyone beating him. Period.

GSP is an amazing talent with an old school attitude (I love that he wears a full gi into the arena). However, I think if the fight had not had a time limit that Fitch would have eventually won. His display of heart was something usually seen only on a movie screen.

And having seen the Huerta/Guida fight, I thought Florian was very impressive.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2008
  15. Mehrad

Mehrad Valued Member

George Saint Pierre won the UFC 87 "Seek and Destroy" via unanimous decision against the underdog Jon fitch.

Report from the follwing
    http://www.411mania.com/MMA/reports/82405

UFC Welterweight Title Bout: Georges St. Pierre © (16-2) vs. Jon Fitch (21-2-1nc):

ROUND ONE: The official is Yves Lavigne. And here we go with our main event of the evening! They touch and here w ego. St. Pierre shoots and takes Fitch down. To the guard, elbows by Fitch and he controls the hands of St. Pierre. Body shots by St. Pierre, St. Pierre postures up and gets a good right. Left by St. Pierre, an elbow follows. Half guard by St. Pierre, back to full and a combo by St. Pierre. North south position now, Fitch up to his feet and St. Pierre take shim right back down. Back to north south, to the feet and a left by St. Pierre. St. Pierre ROCKS Fitch with a right, drops him and is unloading on Fitch! Lots of shots by St. Pierre, elbows now! Rights follow and into the half guard goes St. Pierre. GSP chants now as the crowd popped huge for that. Rights by St. Pierre, Fitch tries to get to his feet and is eating shots from St. Pierre. He's up and a combo by St. Pierre rocks him. Back down and St. Pierre with lefts. Rights now, side control by St. Pierre and then into the guard. Elbows by St. Pierre, body shots and into half guard. St. Pierre passes into side control and lands more lefts to the face of Fitch. Mount now by St. Pierre, back to side control and the round ends.

SCORECARD:: St. Pierre dominated big time there. Fitch was almost done a few times, and I will go 10-8 for St. Pierre.

ROUND TWO: Round two begins and they touch, jabs by St. Pierre, a right and avoids Fitch's shots. More jabs by St. Pierre, Fitch with a good body shot and he switches his stance. Combo by St. Pierre, good jab and another. More jabs by St. Pierre, high kick checked and Fitch gets another body shot. Another jab by St. Pierre, a leg kick and then another. Fitch continues to try and attack the body of St. Pierre, leg kick and then a knee. Jab by Fitch, spin kick by St. Pierre and another jab. Big combo by St. Pierre as Fitch got another body shot. Body kick by St. Pierre but a big right by Fitch. Good left by Fitch, body kick and then a clean right to the face by Fitch. St. Pierre back to the jab, he is bleeding from the forehead a bit as they trade shots. St. Pierre shoots, stuffed and a good combo by Fitch. A nice jab by St. Pierre and a leg kick. Another jab and then a right connects for St. Pierre as the round ends.

SCORECARD:: All standing there. GSP worked the jab hardcore, but Fitch rebounded nicely and I think edged him out to make it 19-18.

ROUND THREE: Round three begins as St. Pierre ROCKS Fitch and drops him! Gets the back, hook in and another. Fitch is bleeding more now, St. Pierre goes for the choke but Fitch rolls and gets the guard. Gets warned for shots to the back of the head as he lands a lot from guard. Both men work, Fitch with body shots and then clean shots to the face of St. Pierre. Warning for grabbing the cage for St. Pierre, he sweeps and is into the guard of Fitch. North south now, knee to the shoulder by St. Pierre and a right. Allows Fitch to his feet, works the jabs again and then a nice leg kick Combo by St. Pierre, another leg kick, shoots and to the cage they go. Knees by Fitch and then by St. Pierre. They both land rights, big knee, head kick by and to north south they go. Back to the feet, Fitch is wobbly, and they clinch. Big knees by St. Pierre, a right by St. Pierre and another. Takedown by St. Pierre and into the half guard. Body shots by St. Pierre and the round ends.

SCORECARD:: St. Pierre was rocking Fitch and he barely survived. I have it 29-27 for St. Pierre.

ROUND FOUR: Round four begins and they dance, circle and jabs by St. Pierre. Fitch misses knees, a right by St. Pierre and Fitch caught St. Pierre and he is bleeding by the left eye. High kick checked by St. Pierre, Fitch misses a combo and then works the jab. Combo by St. Pierre, jab again and a body kick by Fitch. Fitch shoots, stiffed and a left and then a leg kick by St. Pierre. Jabs by St. Pierre again, a leg kick and almost swept Fitch. More jabs by St. Pierre and then one by Fitch. St. Pierre misses a big right, but back to the jab. Fitch tries a single leg, has St. Pierre against the cage and cannot get him down. Fitch keeps working for it, they drop down and St. Pierre is on top. St. Pierre then gets it into guard. Lefts by St. Pierre, elbow now and then a few body shots by St. Pierre. St. Pierre up and tries for a knee bar, but the round ends.

SCORECARD:: St. Pierre controlled the round, and he is up 39-36.

ROUND FIVE: The doctor checked Fitch in between rounds, he's ok to go apparently and we head to the final round. They touch, big left hook by St. Pierre to begin. Leg kick by St. Pierre, another and then a right. Another jab by St. Pierre, overhand right by St. Pierre and a spinning back fist lands. St. Pierre takes Fitch down, half guard now and then back to full. Body shots by St. Pierre, postures up and lands some big rights to Fitch. St. Pierre maintains control from the guard, more body shots and they get warned to work. Lefts by St. Pierre, to the feet they go and another jab by St. Pierre. St. Pierre takes Fitch down again with ease, left elbow to Fitch and Fitch lands from the bottom. Last minute of the fight now, Fitch tries to scramble but St. Pierre is just controlling with ease. Knees the shoulders by St. Pierre, then to the ribs and Fitch is up. Taken back down, back to the guard and the fight will end there.

SCORECARD:: St. Pierre all the way, 49-45.

THE RESULT: Georges St. Pierre via Unanimous Decision (50-43, 50-44, 50-44)

Joe Rogan is with GSP. Rogan congratulates him and GSP puts over Fitch for a great fight. GSP says the loss will make Fitch a stronger fighter. He is ready to fight anyone that deserves a shot. He also knows BJ Penn wants a fight, and he is ready for that.

Penn is in and says he had a great fight and says let's do it, and GSP says he will not duck anyone.

Full Results

Preliminaries:
    Rob Emerson def. Manvel Gamburyan via K.O
    Cheick Kongo def. Tom Evenson via T.K.O
    Demian Maia def. Jason MacDonald via Rear Naked Choke
    Kenny Florian def. Roger Huerta via Unanimous decision

Main Event:
    Brock Lesnar def. Heath Herring via (Beat down, ground and pound)
    Georges St. Pierre def. (Unanimous decision)

Was a good fight, Althought GSP won, Im half suprised it went into decision, as Fitch was being dominated yet he still gave GSP problems in finishing the fight.

If you wanna see the whole fight heres the link

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2008
  16. old palden

old palden Valued Member

and I got my post about this event censored because it contained spoilers