UFC 80

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by Tom O'Brien, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Tom O'Brien

Tom O'Brien Valued Member

My past record has not been great. If I were a betting man I'd probably be losing right now but here goes nothing:
    Sat 19/01/08
    18:00 Metro Radio Arena Newcastle Upon Tyne, GB
    UFC 80

Also on PPV

Card:

B.J. Penn v Joe Stevenson - BJ
    Gabriel Gonzaga v Fabricio Werdum - Gonzaga
    Jess Liaudin v Marcus Davis - Davis
    Wilson Gouveia v Jason Lambert - Jason
    Jorge Rivera v Kendall Grove - Kendall
    Antoni Hardonk v Colin Robinson - Hardonk
    Paul Kelly v Paul Taylor - Kelly
    James Lee v Alessio Sakara - Sakara
    Per Eklund v Sam Stout - Eklund

Thanks,
    Tom

2. duderanch182

duderanch182 Bored Thaiboxer

I will just comment on the fighters I know who I know and think will win

BJ Penn
    Gonzaga
    Marcus Davis
    Gouveia
    Grove

The Penn vs Stevenson fight will be interesting as they are both very good fighters and great a Jujitsu and can see Penn with the slight advantage.

The Kendall Grove fight is nothing more than to get a win for Grove and back on track to move up in the ranks.

3. Patrick_baji

Patrick_baji Valued Member

werdum might give gonzaga a run for his money, I saw his fight with minotauro a while back and he looked pretty decent

4. Sever

Sever Valued Member

There are only two fights I'm really interested in for this one - Penn/ Stevenson and Gonzaga/ Werdum. As much potential and skill as I think Stevenson has, I think Penn's taking the belt home with him. He has to keep his cardio up to scratch in order to get his tubby **** down to 155, so his conditioning shouldn't be a problem, in which case, Penn simply eclipses Stevenson in every aspect of the game
    Werdum already holds a win over Gonzaga and considering some of the fights he's put on (the snoozefest against Arlovskin notwithstanding), I think he's got the tools to do it again. Gonzaga's got the power to KO him, and very good BJJ as well, so it could be a different fight this time

5. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

B.J. Penn v Joe Stevenson - Penn
    Gabriel Gonzaga v Fabricio Werdum - Gonzaga
    Jorge Rivera v Kendall Grove - Rivera
    James Lee v Alessio Sakara - Sakara

These are my picks for the fights I'm interested in. Penn is known as "the prodigy" for a reason, and I don't see Stevenson beating him. Plus if Sherk is acquitted and comes back, Penn should be able to give him a run for the money.

Werdum didn;t impress me against Arlovski. Gonzaga has a few good UFC fights under his belt, even if he lot to Randy. I'll pick Gonzaga.

Rivera's tough. Hopefully he'll do better than TUF showed.

Sakara is my boy just because we're both Italian. Ok, I think he;s an excellent fighter as well. But I'm going with the fellow paisan!

6. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Well, who want to talk about the fights last night. Certainly interesting in terms of the fact that only one went the distance... lots of tap outs and TKOs. We were wondering how many fights were gonna get shown with how few rounds there were!

7. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Spoiler tags please!

I didn't get a chance to watch so I don't care but someone else might! :love:

8. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

:eek: You haven't seen it yet??

9. narcsarge

No Pac I haven't. :(

I had to be up @ 4:30am to get to work by 6am. I need my beauty rest.

(I could sleep for a year and it wouldn't help though)

10. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

I use to have to be up at the same time, now I'm up at that ungodly hour...GRRRR!!! Oops, wrong thread :p

11. narcsarge

As you may recall, just a few months back I was working 12:00am to 8:30am. Now, 4/10hr shifts from 6:00am to 4:30 pm. I like the extra day off and more time to rest and train.

Depending on my schedule (I usually have to work Sunday) I can catch the UFC fights on cable but the PPV always happen on Saturdays! :cry:

12. nicolethai1

nicolethai1 Valued Member

Can someone please give me a run through of what happened (esp BJ v Joe Stevenson)?

Had the in-laws staying last night and completely forgot it was being shown on Sat rather than Sun night as is normal here, so I didn't record it. :bang:

I checked Setanta's schedule for the next week and it doesn't look like they're going to repeat it either!

Unless anyone has a link to where I can watch the fights online?

Thank you!!!!

13. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

Okay here is the BJ Penn vs. Stevenson Fight at Youtube:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7P9tGp6P0Y"]YouTube[/ame]
    I do not know how long that will be up.

Post fight interview:
    http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=MultiMedia.Detail&gid=9672

14. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Outstanding fight is all I can say ;)

15. nicolethai1

Cheers Brian! BJ/Stevenson fight is still on there, and here's Gonzaga/Werdum:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHsOZJXQwbU"]YouTube[/ame]

Great fights.

16. narcsarge

Well that was a disappoinment. Everything going so well and then it was like he forgot to pay his electric bill...

:(

17. nicolethai1

nice to see some kicks for a change though

18. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

Werdum fought this time. Man that first fight he was like a limp fish...

Gonzaga/Werdum looked like the best fight of that night. Next person that fights Werdum will use allot of leg kicks.

19. Brian R. VanCis

You have to love the internet because even if you miss a fight it is out there somewhere to view. :D

20. Brian R. VanCis

Absolutely!