UFC 78 Validation

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by Davey Bones, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Since I always screw up the tags, I'll not post anything to do with results.

What I will say is that this had to be, without a doubt, the most underwhelming card I've ever seen. I think the only fights which really got me going were Karo/Ryo and Silva/Alexander and Lauson/Steve Carroll on 'roids.

The main event was just as bad as most of the undercards; what was wrong with these guys last night? I just felt like most of them didn't bother bringing their "a game". A lot of tentative fighting, lopsided matches and just a general sense of malaise.

2. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I wasn't expecting much out of the main event at all. Those two have no place headlining a PPV and for White to say that the winner was "definitely top 5" is hilarious. (Un)fortunately, word is that [EXPAND="Spoilers"]Evans is getting the next title shot after winning that. Watching Rampage murder him inside a minute won't be boring![/EXPAND]
    The rest of the card was strangely stilted too. I just couldn't fathom Fisher and Edgar being that dull - these two have both been in absolutely amazing LW fights, but put them in the cage together and it became a yawnfest. The only two fights I actually enjoyed were Lauzon's and Alexander/ Silva

3. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

It was like there was a formula to EVERY match...

[EXPAND="Spoilers"]a. stand up for a few seconds each round
    b. takedown
    c. bottom guy gets mauled[/EXPAND]

repeat for three rounds.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  4. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

UFC has no excuse now to put on terrible card, Pride had 100% incredible match ups for almost 80% of there ppv.

UFC is still in the old concept of putting 2-3 interesting fights with the rest of the card being fill ups.

5. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

I could enjoy Chonan-Parisyan, but I thought it would be much better than it was.

Like Dom said, just hard to get into some of those matches.

[EXPAND="Spoiler"]I was really disappointed in Fisher-Edgar, but honestly I think it made sense, to a degree. Fisher's weak spot is takedowns, so he wasn't gonna stop a D-1 wrestler from taking it to the ground. Once it hit, Fisher's guard was just defensive enough for him to survive.[/EXPAND]

I've said it before, though... if you know you're down on points going into R3, why not swing for the fences? Of course you could see some of the fighters just mentally break in their matches, and try to hold on instead of going for broke.

I just think some of the matches had a lot more potential than what they showed.

6. Banditshaw

Banditshaw El Bandido

Well I'm glad now that I didn't do the Pay Per View.

7. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I've been getting the PPVs pretty regularly but I didn't get this one. I like the guys from TUF well enough and love seeing their matches on FreeTV... as far as shelling out money for these guys for a main event at this period in their career... no way. With so much 'free" UFC on TV, they need to make the PPVs "worthy" of the extra $$$$.

8. RussianKenpo05

RussianKenpo05 Valued Member

much agreed...fights were disappoiting,very,very disappointing.The Karo/Chonan fight was the one i was looking forward to the most....but it was so lopsided i couldnt believe it....Chonan made karatekas look bad,lol.

9. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Because where UFC judging's concerned, it doesn't matter if you win the fight, it only matters if you win the coin toss/ the judges forget the other guys name :D
    Actually, there weren't any shocking calls last night. If there were, it'd have been more interesting

10. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

That's because, if you noticed, NONE of the names were familiar. The refs nor judges. The NJSAC has its own guys who are specifically hired to do only MMA bouts and are therefore, at least in terms of judging, inherently better than the boxing judges used by the NSAC. A couple of the refs were a bit quick on the stand-up IMO, but overall, decent calls. There just wasn't a whole lot of anything to ref or judge...

11. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

I was bored! :)

12. nicolethai1

nicolethai1 Valued Member

I agree with all the above, this was the worst UFC I've ever watched. All the fights looked like they belonged in the first round of the Ultimate Fighter (think Allen "Monster Lobster" Beruba level).

The only one who was a cut above was Thiago Silva.

I'm glad it was on freeview over here!

Have they all been taking "interesting" training with Tim Sylvia?

13. Grant86

Grant86 Valued Member

sooks :p

i quite enjoyed it.

14. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

I thought it was ok.

The Lauzon fight was flat out superb. But what are they doing feeding him some 38 year old, past his prime wannabee? Seriously, what did anyone think was going to happen? But man, I really enjoyed seeing that dude get mauled.

15. Linguo

Linguo Valued Member

I dont know. I thought the Herman/Doerkson fight was a pretty decent scrap. I was disappointed by Karo/Chonan and Edgar/Fisher, especially since Edgar/Fisher had potential for fight of the night. Lauzon looked on form, against a guy who probably shouldnt have been there. It was a mediocre UFC. Probably not the worst I've seen, but dull. They're saving all the good stuff for the 79.

16. Grant86

Grant86 Valued Member

Yes, UFC 79 for when (i hope) hughes decimates all.

And after tapping out matt serra 25 seconds in, he jumps into the heavy weights, and taps out the ice man too!

hehe

yes, fanboys can dream.

17. Atharel

Atharel Errant

he's not going to tap out Serra barring freak circumstance. Serra has world class jiu-jitsu. The only grappler in welterweight I'd say could (barely) out jiu-jitsu him is BJ Penn... and Penn went down a weight class.

And liddell made a career out of beating people exactly like matt hughes but 50 lbs bigger.

18. Grant86

Grant86 Valued Member

I guess you missed the fanboys can dream bit even though you quoted it.

19. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

I'd say that Hughes is going to take that fight pretty cleanly. Not so sure about Silva and Iceman. I am a Chuck fan as well as Wandy but they 2 of them have been poor as of late. I'll give it to Wandy this time.

20. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Matt Hughes is a bitch and Serra is going to punch him in the mouth and then choke him until his grandmother passes out.