Ufc 68, 3/3/07

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by Tom O'Brien, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Gufbal1981

Gufbal1981 waiting to train...

Um, honestly, if his spine was to the point where he couldn't fight the Athletic Commission wouldn't sanction the bout happening. The Commission would call for it to be immediately rescheduled. I don't think anyone wants to have permanent injury and a herniated disk can cause permanent injury. You have to be Medically cleared to fight and as far as I can see on the forms from the Ohio State Athletic Commission. Dana White can't say the fight can't happen if he is truly that injured.

http://aco.ohio.gov/home.htm

2. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

They do both walk around somewhere around 220, difference is Chuck has a lot less muscle than Mirko...

Mirko has barely any extra fat at 220, Chuck still has some at 205 so at 220 he isn't the leanest...

Not that it matters especially, Fedor isn't a ripped beast either.

But Mirko would be the stronger fighter, more skilled, more experienced(especially including his K-1 experience) etc...He really has all the advantages in a fight between him and Chuck.

If he tried to back out, he would have done so...Dana cannot force a fighter to fight if he is injured, that would almost certainly be in the contract as well as likely be illegal...

He probably didn't tell Dana or tell the doctors...it seems pretty common among MMA...

3. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

i've got some sources that say otherwise, but that was just an fyi.

4. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Your "source" is throwing around some pretty weighty accusations. They're also almost certainly full of it
    Promoters do not have anything even vaguely resembling the kind of pull to over-rule an athletic commission medical ruling so if Sylvia did indeed have such an injury, it was his responsibility to disclose it and the UFC would have had to lump it
    If the accusation of a promoter forcing an injured fighter to conceal such a serious injury from the commission were to become public (ie, with a real source rather than someone on an internet message board claiming to have a source), there would be serious repercussions for that organisation possibly leading to the loss of their licence. No athletic commission would sanction bouts run by someone known to coerce fighters into concealing injuries
    Under some athletic commissions (I believe Nevada operates this rule after the recent Randleman incident) competitors open themselves up to possible suspensions and fines if it comes to light after the event that they concealed a major injury or illness from the commission

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  5. Gufbal1981

I agree. I went to the Ohio State Athletic Commission website last night and looked it up. If there is a known injury a promoter cannot tell the fighter they have to fight. The fighter has to submit a doctor's ok/medical release in order to get the permit. They check the night before the fight and the day of the fight. It was probably not told to the promoter at all.

6. Tom O'Brien

Tom O'Brien Valued Member

Tim Sylvia Injured

Like I said before what was injured on Tim Sylvia was his pride. Randy totally dominated that fight.
    Thanks,
    Sensei Tom

7. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I agree. My guess is that Tim thought he'd utilize his reach advantage and keep Randy at bay. He was totally unprepared for Randy's game plan. Let's face it Tim may be a powerful puncher but he is fairly one dimensional as a fighter. Mentioning an injury right after you got totally dominated showed a lack of class.

8. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Hell Silva didn't even mention he had strep throat until asked about it in an interview. And then he never used it as an excuse.

9. Marke2020

Marke2020 Valued Member

Quality display by Randy! Tim injured or not who cares! You can't say I will fight then say erm well I had a injury and, but, if............ you agree to fight no excuses!

Sylvia's a pretty boring fighter anyway but I would like to see him and Crocop slug it out!!

Is that likely now? They are in the same weight class aren't they??

10. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Tim and Cro Cop will never "slug it out." Cro Cop will have taken off Tim's head by the second round if they ever do fight.

11. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Or broke his body! :)

12. Gufbal1981

You're stopping at his head? I doubt they will ever fight. Tim Sylvia is extremely boring. He just uses his reach advantage. It sucks and to be honest, his fights literally put me to sleep.

13. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

I think they will likely fight...he has proven in the past that when he is after his belt he can be a different fighter(actually somewhat exciting) so I wouldn't be all that surprised to see him fight Mirko sometime in the future.